Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:42 PM

68 posts, read 234,165 times

Advertisements

Funny how you perceive Louisville as a town (with a pop. of over 700,000, I'd consider it a bonafied city nowadays!) :-)
I love the Highlands, would stay away from Germantown or Clifton bc they're getting rundown and .... undesirable. Just stay away from the south end of Louisville, where most of the closed minded rednecks live and you'll be ok. (coming from an open minded southend girl)
There used to be a cool a$$ bar on Story Avenue near Market that was up and coming but I don't know if it ever took off. That was several years ago. Had a great name that I've since forgotten as well. Man, I'm so much help! :-)
Actually, unbeknownst to most straight people, Louisville has a very high concentration of bisexual individuals as well. Not the experimental types either.
anyway. WELCOME!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,085 times
Hi, I grew up here, moved to Los Angeles in 1970, came back a few years ago for good. Louisville has a good handle on it's own identity, but the local culture is exponentially less (if exponentially can go that way) "local" that it was 20 or 30 years ago. Yay rah rah Internet.

I agree you should certainly explore living in the Highlands AND adjacent Old Louisville before settling in, but keep in mind Louisville is geographically a piece of cake. Ditto traffic if you're used to LA. The burbiest burbs are maybe 20 minutes away.

Don't be "afeared" of our rednecks, they are not much different than your Inland Empire-strain. Louisville is, overall, an easy place to live.

A few years ago Ky was looking for a new slogan; the winner "Unbridled Spirit" is on our license plates now. I still like mine better: "Not as Many Banjos as You Expect". You'll be fine here.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,104,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamlydia View Post
I still like mine better: "Not as Many Banjos as You Expect". You'll be fine here.

How funny!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:03 PM

7,074 posts, read 16,772,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL01 View Post
Unless there has been a major exodus from Louisville among gays in the past 10 years, this is not true.
It may or may not be true, but NEVER trust the info on population at city data. I am a mod here so I can say it, but it is almost always wrong. That said, that list seems about right. I would think Louisville would be in the top 100 for per capita gays though.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:06 PM

93 posts, read 247,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
It may or may not be true, but NEVER trust the info on population at city data. I am a mod here so I can say it, but it is almost always wrong. That said, that list seems about right. I would think Louisville would be in the top 100 for per capita gays though.
I don't know about the accuracy either, but it's not that wrong. In any case, I agree that Louisville is probably one of the most gay-friendly cities in the region. I only responded because I've heard that "actually the highest gays per capita" line about more cities than I can count.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 AM

98 posts, read 589,681 times
Well I doubt you will get shot for being gay. But you might get shot for using
where gay instead of we're gay. lol

Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,157,847 times
Not that I care, being from Southern Ca myself I have worked with many Gay people over the years and have no problem with them, but why is it that Gay people in general feel the need to network with other large Gay organizations or live in what is considered a "Gay" area. Now I understand it from the idea of not wanting to live in a area that is against Gays, but what's wrong with just living your life in an area that doesn't push forward any agenda? Just curious. Not trying to start any bashing here.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM

414 posts, read 1,278,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Not that I care, being from Southern Ca myself I have worked with many Gay people over the years and have no problem with them, but why is it that Gay people in general feel the need to network with other large Gay organizations or live in what is considered a "Gay" area. Now I understand it from the idea of not wanting to live in a area that is against Gays, but what's wrong with just living your life in an area that doesn't push forward any agenda? Just curious. Not trying to start any bashing here.
Amen

Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,869 times
Miles,
An earlier poster doesn't like Germantown... I live here with my partner of 12 years... found a house for a steal (81K fixer upper) and love it... It's the next Highlands with local businesses opening and the younger crowd buying up the property... and it's walking distance to the Highlands. If you have the means, yes, buy in the Highlands, but Germantown is up and coming... And you'll get a great return on your investment!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 AM

6 posts, read 25,800 times
Connections (on Floyd Street near Washington Street downtown) is the only place left I know of. There used to be a club called The Mercury Paw on Main Street years ago. I live over in New Albany and am single (which I prefer) but have several gay friends and we have had no trouble. But then we are conservative republican types so that may help, LOL! I have lived here my entire life (37 years) and it has gotten much better over the last 10 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area