Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,538 times

Advertisements

We are staying for a week in Louisville (next week) and since we have been there only twice before, for one overnight stay each, we were wondering about some of the good places to eat around there.

We ate at BoomBozz Pizza and Shalimar (Indian restaurant) and enjoyed both places. We'll probably get back to those restaurants, but we were also wondering about recommendations for good barbeque, Asian food, another good Pizza place, Italian, Mexican, and Cajun.

Also a nightclub that plays techno or club music would be good to know about too. We've been along Bardstown and are aware of some venues downtown but would welcome any specific recommendations.

We had a good time last time and wanted to spend more time in the city, looks like we'll be able to do so this coming week!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM

72 posts, read 228,078 times
I have to give a nod to Wick's Pizza on Baxter. I just got done spending the last five years of my life running a pizza shop, so know a few things about pizza and these guys do a great job. I've heard good things about Danny Mac's as well as Windy City Pizza, which I've been told does a thick crust Chicago Pizza that is awesome.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:53 AM

153 posts, read 538,100 times
Go to "Connection" for a great techno experience.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
Go to "Connection" for a great techno experience.
Isn't Connection a gay bar? I have heard of it but am not sure.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
We are staying for a week in Louisville (next week) and since we have been there only twice before, for one overnight stay each, we were wondering about some of the good places to eat around there.

We ate at BoomBozz Pizza and Shalimar (Indian restaurant) and enjoyed both places. We'll probably get back to those restaurants, but we were also wondering about recommendations for good barbeque, Asian food, another good Pizza place, Italian, Mexican, and Cajun.

Also a nightclub that plays techno or club music would be good to know about too. We've been along Bardstown and are aware of some venues downtown but would welcome any specific recommendations.

We had a good time last time and wanted to spend more time in the city, looks like we'll be able to do so this coming week!

Thanks in advance!
Go here. This place is fooodie heaven and easy to sign up. Few cities this size have such a large online foodie community. They will give you the best recs:

Louisville Restaurants Forum • Index page

My favorite pizza place right now is:

Impellizzeris

That said, there are TONS of good options for pizza. Among them, Oak Street Pizza and Spinelli's. If you search the forums at Louisvillehotbytes, you will see everyone has a favorite, and there are dozens of locally owned pizza places to choos from

Asian:

You need to be more specific. Louisiville has everything from upscale fusion French/Vietnamese (http://www.basarestaurant.net/), to contemporary pan-asian lounge:

Asiatique Restaurant :: Louisville, Kentucky, USA

One of the most well respected Mexican restaurants in the foodie community is:

La Rosita Mexican Grill - The Shortest Trip to Mexico You'll Ever Take! (http://www.larositagrill.com/ - broken link)

I believe there to be easily 100 Mexican restuarants or more in the metro area now, so there are tons to choose from. I prefer the authentic Mexican taquerias, and La Rosita is a crossover.

cajun:

Louisville is not a true southern city, so the Cajun is not that great.
Jgumbo's is a locally grown chain, and it is pretty good. They have several locations, but the location on Frankfort Avenue gives you the most food and has the best spices. It was the original restaurant:

J. Gumbo's -- Welcome to J. Gumbo's

Barbeque:

I don't know. This has also been debated on Louisvillehotbytes so look there.

Italian:

Again, lots of options, depending on price. Some of my favorites:

Melillo's Italian Dining

Louisville Restaurants Forum • View topic - Le Gallo Russo -- quick review

Volare Italian Restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky

HOME

Some of the premiere, innovative upscale, "go to" restuarants in the city right now are

Proof on Main | American Food with Tuscan Influences in Louisville, Kentucky

610 Magnolia

Corbett's Restaurant | An American Place

There are so many good restuarants in the city that the list could go all day.

In general, most the places here are very good:

Louisville Originals

As for loungy clubs with techno/house, it really depends on what night. The Connection is one of the largest gay megaclubs between Chicago and Atlanta, but a few straight people also frequent it for the outstanding music or to watch the drag shows.

The Connection - Louisville's Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Complex

Another gay club with good house is:

FuZion Night Club

The best straight club for house right now is probably Hotel on Saturday nights mainly:

Hotel Nightclub, Kentucky

Sometimes they will play house:

Maker's Lounge

Pink door may have the most artistic local techno DJs:

Welcome

MySpace.com - Louisville House Music - Louisville, Kentucky - House / Electro / Progressive - www.myspace.com/louisvillehousemusic

While you are in town, a nice new club plans to open called Prime Lounge. It is somewhat underground but should be very nice. Ask around about it.

As you can see, there's a lot to see and do in Louisville. And that is only the tip of the iceburg. Here are more helpful sites

Velocity Weekly - Louisville, Kentucky
Home | LEO Weekly
Consuming Louisville

Old 07-23-2008, 10:27 AM

187 posts, read 1,022,538 times
Stx, thanks for the great post! My wife and I will have tons of options, looks like...

Old 07-23-2008, 11:06 AM

102 posts, read 323,839 times
There are a ton of outstanding eateries around the Louisville Metropolitan Area. You definitely won't go hungry.

Here a couple of sites with some information.

LouisvilleDiningGuide.com

LouisvilleHotBytes.com

Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
[quote=stx12499;4568743]
cajun:

Louisville is not a true southern city, so the Cajun is not that great.
Jgumbo's is a locally grown chain, and it is pretty good. They have several locations, but the location on Frankfort Avenue gives you the most food and has the best spices. It was the original restaurant:

J. Gumbo's -- Welcome to J. Gumbo's

QUOTE]

I LOVE J-Gumbo's voodoo chicken and drunken chicken. I have to warn ya though... the voodoo is pretty darn hot but it's soooo good! and Louisville is still mainly Southern

As far as Mexican, Mexico Tipico on Dixie Hwy is pretty good and fun to take someone on their birthday

BBQ... Firefresh, Bootleg, and Mark's feed store are pretty good.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

72 posts, read 228,078 times
BBQ - Jucy's

Cajun - I've had J. Gumbos and it is pretty good, as is Joe's OK Bayou. I actually prefer Joe's, but both are good.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 31,305 times
Clifton's Pizza on Frankfort is probably the best pizza I have had in this city so far. Great small setting that usually has live music in the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area