Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times

Advertisements

I will be spending the fall on louisville's west side for an internship and on this thread I have not been hearing positive things about this area.
I am going to be near w. market st and w. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16th sts area. Is this area too close to the hood? Do I need to worry about walking at night back from downtown?

I don't want to have to relocate for 4 months just because of crime...but if i need to, i will!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
I will be spending the fall on louisville's west side for an internship and on this thread I have not been hearing positive things about this area.
I am going to be near w. market st and w. 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16th sts area. Is this area too close to the hood? Do I need to worry about walking at night back from downtown?

I don't want to have to relocate for 4 months just because of crime...but if i need to, i will!
What street will you work on and where will you live? The area west of 9th street is not the safest, but 15th and Market is not too bad. I would not walk that area alone at night, but riding a bike would be ok.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:57 PM

153 posts, read 538,134 times
as long as your close to Broadway through Main, 9th-15th are fine. Not great but if your coming from Jersey, you'll be fine!

Old 08-04-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
as long as your close to Broadway through Main, 9th-15th are fine. Not great but if your coming from Jersey, you'll be fine!
I agree with that, that area is very safe compared to any area termed "bad" in Jersey. Patterson, NJ....now that is not safe

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 20,485 times
courier-journal.com » Jefferson County homicide database

That pretty much tells you where not to move to. I would stay on the east side of 65 if I were you.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I would not walk that area alone at night, but riding a bike would be ok.
Yeah, but only if you can pedel very, very fast!

I think you'd be fine east of Ninth Street, but I would personally be nervous about living any further west than that, espcecially at night.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Yeah, but only if you can pedel very, very fast!

I think you'd be fine east of Ninth Street, but I would personally be nervous about living any further west than that, espcecially at night.
Honestly, random crime is very rare in this city compared with most large cities. People do get mugged, but it is very rare in comparison with the big cities. You also rarely hear of a car jacking. People think murder murder = danger danger, but what they do not realize is most of these homicides are

1) domestic related
2) drug related
3) sex/prostitution related
4) alcohol/bar/fight related

Very rarely is a random, innocent bystander gunned down in the west end or parts of downtown, especially during day hours. Now, it does happen occasionally, but very rarely. Out of the what 40 or 50 homicied this year, only one has been scary to me. Last week a guy crossed the 2nd street bridge into downtown and was met with a parade of bullets. I am not sure of the details, but if he was an innocent guy not involved with drugs or bad stuff and did not know the shooter, then this is very scary.

So, if you are a straight and narrow guy, obey the law and don't get involved with seedy stuff or seedy women, your chances of bad, violent crime occuring against you are remarkably low. Statistically, you need to be THOUSANDS of times more scared to die each time you get on that freeway to go to your "safe" suburb. Alas, Americans do not think logically like this.

Now, as for NONVIOLENT crime, there is no disputing that the rates are much higher in the urban areas of the city-car break ins, arson, thefts, larceny, etc. But again, by big city standards, these rates are very low, and do not pose as threat so substantial as to make someone fear walking around downtown at night.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:55 PM

4 posts, read 20,286 times
I don't know what you are accustomed to, but it is not a great area and the area surrounding is even worse. If you could find something else, I would recommend it.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,070 times
It's sad to see the negative comments like stay East of 9th street, etc. These attitudes are racist, since the predominately African American neighborhoods are on the West Side. I live in the Portland neighborhood (near 22nd street) which is completely mixed racially. The west side of Louisville has been horribly neglected but it should no be continually vilified.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymindsi View Post
It's sad to see the negative comments like stay East of 9th street, etc. These attitudes are racist, since the predominately African American neighborhoods are on the West Side. I live in the Portland neighborhood (near 22nd street) which is completely mixed racially. The west side of Louisville has been horribly neglected but it should no be continually vilified.
Welcome to the forum. PLease post and keep us updated about Portland. There is much higher violent crime in west Louisville, but you are right in that the area gets a bad rap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area