Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambergris View Post
Thanks so much for the tips! I especially wasn't aware of the other universities. I will check out their programs and research.

I can't wait to get out of Ohio! :-)

Amber
Some really great information given here. Best of luck in your move.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 04-22-2009 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-12-2009, 01:31 PM

15 posts, read 95,862 times
Default Old Louisville safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

I would look strongly at the Highlands though. People move here and don't look at the city because they think or hear its dangerous, but Louisville is much different than other cities in that you CAN live right near downtown and be very safe. I can assure you that 40204, 40205, and 40206 zip codes are as safe as anything in the suburbs and much more rewarding areas to live with regards to urbanity, educated young professionals, walkabilty, and historic feel with parks.
Hi! I'm a high school teacher who will be moving to Louisville in a few months from a tiny (3500) rural Kansas town. I've already started to look at schools for my two girls (8th and junior) and they really like Atherton/Highland and Manual/Noe. Unfortuanately, I don't know where I will be teaching, and since we applied late to the magnet schools, I don't know where the kids will be going to school. I need to buy a house now rather than wait until mid-July when we find out where I'll be teaching and where the kids will be going to school.

I'd like to be someplace safe, but someplace urban. I looked at and can't afford the Highlands (my daughters LOVED Bardstown Road), and anything downtown is not only expensive, but I have several dogs that wouldn't do well in a condo. I looked at several houses in the Old Louisville area (Oak, Hill, Ormsby, 4th, 5th, 6th streets as well as Brook, St. Catherine, and Southern Parkway). I liked the houses (though they needed work). Some of them were out because there was only onstreet parking, and I think that will be too difficult for my 16 year old. I did find a couple in my budget range (150-210) with at least a slab of cement in the alley rear for off-street parking. The streets and houses looked great, but when I looked up crime statistics, there were quite a few for drugs and prostitution.

I'm wondering how much crime there REALLY is in these areas? The house I really like is just north of Central Park. I drove through the area both at night and in the daytime and the people I saw didn't look as if they were doing anything nefarious. I think statistics can be wielded nearly any way people want them to, so I thought I would defer to the experts. Would you let your mother walk up 6th street from Central park to Oak by herself in the evening?

What about the area just south and east of Churchill Downs? Or on Southern parkway south of the freeway?

I also wanted to say how friendly and gorgeous I thought Louisville was when we visited to look for houses. I was there during Thunder, and it was the most spectacular sight I have ever seen!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piggydiva View Post
Hi! I'm a high school teacher who will be moving to Louisville in a few months from a tiny (3500) rural Kansas town. I've already started to look at schools for my two girls (8th and junior) and they really like Atherton/Highland and Manual/Noe. Unfortuanately, I don't know where I will be teaching, and since we applied late to the magnet schools, I don't know where the kids will be going to school. I need to buy a house now rather than wait until mid-July when we find out where I'll be teaching and where the kids will be going to school.

I'd like to be someplace safe, but someplace urban. I looked at and can't afford the Highlands (my daughters LOVED Bardstown Road), and anything downtown is not only expensive, but I have several dogs that wouldn't do well in a condo. I looked at several houses in the Old Louisville area (Oak, Hill, Ormsby, 4th, 5th, 6th streets as well as Brook, St. Catherine, and Southern Parkway). I liked the houses (though they needed work). Some of them were out because there was only onstreet parking, and I think that will be too difficult for my 16 year old. I did find a couple in my budget range (150-210) with at least a slab of cement in the alley rear for off-street parking. The streets and houses looked great, but when I looked up crime statistics, there were quite a few for drugs and prostitution.

I'm wondering how much crime there REALLY is in these areas? The house I really like is just north of Central Park. I drove through the area both at night and in the daytime and the people I saw didn't look as if they were doing anything nefarious. I think statistics can be wielded nearly any way people want them to, so I thought I would defer to the experts. Would you let your mother walk up 6th street from Central park to Oak by herself in the evening?

What about the area just south and east of Churchill Downs? Or on Southern parkway south of the freeway?

I also wanted to say how friendly and gorgeous I thought Louisville was when we visited to look for houses. I was there during Thunder, and it was the most spectacular sight I have ever seen!

Old Louisville is fine, especially south of Central Park. I wouldn't advise any female to walk by herself at night in almost any urban area. That said, for the most part she would be ok, although she may get panhandled a bit around fourth and oak. Oak street has become a corridor for drug traffic between west side projects and the only projects just east of downtown, Shepherd Square around Jackson and kentucky streets.

You seem to love Old Louisville, so I say go for it! The biggest problem in the neighborhood is actually minor car break ins, but this can be avoided by not leaving valuables in plain site. I would advise renting for a year to see how you like it.

The areas around Churchill downs are not great, especially west of Taylor Boulevard. To the south and east of Churchill isn't great either, like around 3rd and m street.

Southern Parkway south of I-264 is beautiful, and probably a bit safer than Old Louisville. There is also a very active neighborhood association like that in Old Louisville. The area is known as Beechmont, and has its own little "downtown" strip developing with a new coffee shop and lots of ethinc eats like Vietnamese, Somali, and Mexican nearby.

Between Old Louisville and downtown there is a developing area known as SoBro (for south of Broadway). There are some cool condo developments in there that provide for lots of safety. One in particular is being marketed to a younger crowd but the real kicker is that you get secure, underground parking gararge and large units for under 200,000 which makes it very rare for that part of the city. (So, you could drive to the grocery and unload them without setting foot on the street if you had to make a midnight grocery run).
http://www.centralparkloftsky.com/Story/story.html

Another area you have probably overlooked is lower Clifton and Butchertown, where Frankfort Ave meets Story Avenue. Also, take a look at Germantown and audubon park. These are neighborhoods where many young couples and professionals who enjoy the Highlands lifestyle but cannot afford the area are buying, and they are both 100% safe as suburban areas. A hot area in germantown are the few streets centered around Charles Street and a local tavern popular with young hipsters called nachbar.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 AM

Thank you for the invaluable information, Stx! I will keep that in mind on my next "house" trip in a few weeks.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:46 AM

14 posts, read 51,171 times
Default RELOCATING TO LOUISVILLE, but want to RENT in Prospect, KY(Oldham county area)

Quote:
(note that I borrowed this thread from the VA forum, as we here are also getting bombarded with vague questions)

READ if you are asking about where to live in KY

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on where to live in Louisville and suburbs. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Louisville forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.
My family lives in Etown,KY but my husband is starting work in Louisville near downtown. I absolutely do not want to live in Jefferson county and would like very much to send my boy who's 4 and will be starting pre school this fall into the Oldham county school district, preferably Montessori or Christian type school. We are not yet in a financial position to purchase a home, however that is our goal within the next 2-3 years or so. We are looking for a long term rental in Prospect, but want to be in the Oldham county area of that city rather than the Jefferson county area of Prospect. We would like to spend no more than $2000, preferably no more than $1700-1900 a month on a 3-4 bed, 2+ba, 1/2 acre-1 acre or more FENCED lot, with a finished basement, close to I-71(but not necessarily required), no more than a 25 minute or so drive to downtown Louisville, preferably brick with a a large front porch and large rear deck, pure white kitchen with matching appliances/cabinets(I am VERY picky), neutral colors throughout, with space for my kids to roam outside and a large playroom area inside(for the colder months), also would LOVE a pool, gazebo, outdoor jacuzzi, open floor plan.....
Does anyone have or know of anything similar to this that I desire? I have looked at rentalhouses.com(nothing matches my needs), looked into Norton Commons(way too expensive for so little yard), and Crestwood, Goshen and Lagrange are just too far to drive. So you see my dilema. I also need to be in a house by June 1st. ANY help would be appreciated, I know this probably should have been posted in the Oldham county section of this website under KY but since Jefferson county is so much larger I figured I'd post here.

Regards to all,
rtbblake

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM

69 posts, read 203,400 times
Well, I have moved down here already!

The past month has been an absolute whirlwind---some very good and some very tragic.

My boyfriend convinced me to apply for one of the jobs available for what I do (legal) and I did and they contacted me immediately. I came down here for an interview on Derby weekend and the following Friday, they made me a good offer. While I was here, I found a very nice house to rent in the PRP area off Dixie Highway and Greenwood Avenue. I just moved in this past Thursday.

I start my new job downtown on June 11. Thank God, because I really need a week to rest from this move. It has been absolutely exhausting, and I'm not as young as I used to be---LOL.

My sole purpose for moving here was simply to be closer to my two sons who relocated here. My middle son relocated here 13 years ago, and my youngest son relocated here 3 years ago. Between them, I have four grandchildren, all of whom I was only able to visit twice a year.

I can't even sell my house in Michigan because it has lost half its value in only 3 1/2 years. I will definitely take a hit on my credit for vacating it, but my family is worth a heck of a lot more than my credit rating. Besides, the way the crooks at all of the lending institutions are screwing with everyone's credit scores by raising rates to 30 percent and lowering their credit availability to whatever their current balance is has impacted EVERYONE'S credit score in an incredible way. So, the heck with them.

The tragic news is that my middle son's wife Teresa passed away unexpectedly on Monday, May 11. OMG. What a tragedy. My poor son is absolutely lost.

I truly believe that it has been divine intervention for me to move down here. My son really needs my guidance and help in dealing with the technical stuff, such as death certificates, social security, closing accounts, etc. It's much easier for me to help him with that HERE, rather than 370 miles away.

Honesty

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 12,045 times
Question considering job in Louisville, and would like to check out neighborhoods during interview...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499
(note that I borrowed this thread from the VA forum, as we here are also getting bombarded with vague questions)

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on where to live in Louisville and suburbs. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Pie or cake?

We on the Louisville forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

--

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond!!! :0)

While I would like to live near my place of work, it is more important to me to be within a mile or so of a grocery store with lots of lush organic produce and (if possible) featuring local farmers. A good example of this kind of store would be a local food co-op, but a Whole Foods will do if there is no co-op.

Generally, I'd like to live in a mixed-use neighborhood where where I can walk to not only the grocery store, but also the dry cleaners, and maybe even the doctor's (e.g. a dentist or, if I'm really lucky, a naturopath).

For commuting purposes, I'd also like to be in a location within walking distance of a major busline that either directly takes me to major shopping areas, or to a bus depot where I can make a connection.

When I first relocate, I'd like to spend between 300 & 600/mo for a 1 bedroom apartment - preferably in a duplex that was designed as such. And, if/when I'm ready to buy, my maximum would be 130k, but preferring to get a small-mid-sized home on a small-mid-sized lot - again, in a mixed-use neighborhood.

As far as what type of neighborhood environment... it'd be one where neighbors talk to their neighbors, maybe have block parties. I really am not interested in living in a neighborhood with CC&R's where people only talk to you when they're complaining to you about whether you've pruned your bushes yet. I'd like a neighborhood where people are more concerned with knowing eachother than they are with protecting their property values, if you know what I mean.

I happen to be a single professional around the age of 40, and would like the neighborhood to be diverse in generations, including family households, singles households, seniors households, and with everything from jet-setters to yogis, to stay-at-home moms, etc. If it was all just one thing, it would be a little boring.

I really like tree-lined streets...

These kinds of mixed use neighborhoods tend to be older and in sections of city's that were developed with gridded streets. Which neighborhoods are kind of like this? It seems that every city has at least one neighborhood like this, and sometimes several.

Suggestions?

Last edited by pacificnorthwestocean; 06-04-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: adding quote clarifies what I'm asking for

Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM

153 posts, read 538,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificnorthwestocean View Post
Quote:

-Where you are working
-Pie or cake?

--

While I would like to live near my place of work, it is more important to me to be within a mile or so of a grocery store with lots of lush organic produce and (if possible) featuring local farmers. A good example of this kind of store would be a local food co-op, but a Whole Foods will do if there is no co-op.

Generally, I'd like to live in a mixed-use neighborhood where where I can walk to not only the grocery store, but also the dry cleaners, and maybe even the doctor's (e.g. a dentist or, if I'm really lucky, a naturopath).

For commuting purposes, I'd also like to be in a location within walking distance of a major busline that either directly takes me to major shopping areas, or to a bus depot where I can make a connection.

When I first relocate, I'd like to spend between 300 & 600/mo for a 1 bedroom apartment - preferably in a duplex that was designed as such. And, if/when I'm ready to buy, my maximum would be 130k, but preferring to get a small-mid-sized home on a small-mid-sized lot - again, in a mixed-use neighborhood.

As far as what type of neighborhood environment... it'd be one where neighbors talk to their neighbors, maybe have block parties. I really am not interested in living in a neighborhood with CC&R's where people only talk to you when they're complaining to you about whether you've pruned your bushes yet. I'd like a neighborhood where people are more concerned with knowing eachother than they are with protecting their property values, if you know what I mean.

I happen to be a single professional around the age of 40, and would like the neighborhood to be diverse in generations, including family households, singles households, seniors households, and with everything from jet-setters to yogis, to stay-at-home moms, etc. If it was all just one thing, it would be a little boring.

These kinds of mixed use neighborhoods tend to be older and in sections of city's that were developed with gridded streets. Which neighborhoods are kind of like this? It seems that every city has at least one neighborhood like this, and sometimes several.

Suggestions?
Highlands, Crescent Hill, St. Matthews, and Old Lville.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificnorthwestocean View Post
Quote:

-Where you are working
-Pie or cake?

--

Suggestions?
Ideed, Louisville has several neighborhoods that are urban and walkable and very historic.

However you have just described St. Matthews, very nearly to the T. You will want to live around the corner from the Rainbow Blossom(St Matthews location), a good locally owned organic store. This area is known as the heart of st matthews. There are plenty of farmers markets around town, and a new, urban, permanant open air market is set to open downtown in 2 years.

http://shopsaroundthevogue.com/

The Highlands, Crescent Hill, Clifton, downtown and old louisville all fit you bill, but not as much your demographics requirement and desiring of more families around.

Your rent requirment is fairly low, and you will have to look very hard to find something nice for under 500, but it can be done.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:

Southern Parkway south of I-264 is beautiful, and probably a bit safer than Old Louisville. There is also a very active neighborhood association like that in Old Louisville. The area is known as Beechmont, and has its own little "downtown" strip developing with a new coffee shop and lots of ethinc eats like Vietnamese, Somali, and Mexican nearby.
Just an update--I purchased a great old (110 year) house in Beechmont. I really liked the diversity of the neighborhood. I still won't be moving for another month or so, but I'm looking forward to fixing up my new home. I just couldn't find anything in Old Louisville that the underwriters would give me the OK on. It's sad, but I think I'll really like Beechmont.

Thanks for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area