Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Louisville, KY.... southern or midwestern?
Southern 31 47.69%
MidWestern 34 52.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times

Advertisements

Which would you consider it?

Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 AM

353 posts, read 503,937 times
I was just there and there is no question to me that Louisville is southern. I suppose close to downtown, with all the Catholic parishes and cathedrals and the view of Indiana, it can feel midwestern. But once you get outside of the 264 loop it's totally southern. Especially once you get out into Hurtsbourne, Anchorage, and into Oldham and Bullitt Counties, it is Kentucky southern 100%. And, IMHO, that is what makes the area so darn attractive.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Its a mix of midwestern and southern if you ask me. Is it completely southern? Not even close? Is it completely midwestern? Nope. Its a mix. I used to live outside of Oak Grove, KY, and that town was hardly "southern" at all. In fact, most people spoke with northern accents. The Cumberland Gap region is another story.... lol Probably one of the most hick-ish areas Ive ever been to. LOL The accents were so strong it was like trying to decipher Chinese algebra everytime they spoke. I found myself staring at their lips, trying to pick apart words. LOLOL

Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM

80 posts, read 461,724 times
Steve-o-

Chinese algebra?

Having grown up in the South, at times I've had to "translate" Southern for my wife- so I know what you're referencing!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
LOL

Yeah, its a phrase a friend of mine used to use, it kinda stuck with me. He used to use that phrase to describe anything extremely tough to comprehend. One time he was trying to figure out how to program his new car computer and he looked at me and said "geez, trying to comprehend this is like trying to comprehend Chinese algebra." Had me rollin...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Don't you dare tell anyone who lives in Louisville that they're midwestern!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Ohiogirl you'd be suprised how many Louisvillians say that we are in the midwest. I thikn they are afraid of the Southern stereotypes but I am a Southern gal no matter what they say!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I was just there and there is no question to me that Louisville is southern. I suppose close to downtown, with all the Catholic parishes and cathedrals and the view of Indiana, it can feel midwestern. But once you get outside of the 264 loop it's totally southern. Especially once you get out into Hurtsbourne, Anchorage, and into Oldham and Bullitt Counties, it is Kentucky southern 100%. And, IMHO, that is what makes the area so darn attractive.
The area I am in has quite a bit less Catholic churches than Baptist or other Protestant denominations so I am always baffled with the whole "too catholic to be Southern" thing. I guess it depends on the area.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its a mix of midwestern and southern if you ask me. Is it completely southern? Not even close? Is it completely midwestern? Nope. Its a mix. I used to live outside of Oak Grove, KY, and that town was hardly "southern" at all. In fact, most people spoke with northern accents. The Cumberland Gap region is another story.... lol Probably one of the most hick-ish areas Ive ever been to. LOL The accents were so strong it was like trying to decipher Chinese algebra everytime they spoke. I found myself staring at their lips, trying to pick apart words. LOLOL
I don't necessarily equate Southern with hick-ish but that's ok. Where's Oak Grove?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Louisville does feel like a mix to me. Everything about it does. The downtown area is gives Louisville a rustbelt like appearance, and you hear many midwestern and Southern accents. The Louisville accent itself doesn't even sound distinctly southern to me...it's "twanged" a bit but very flat compared to the rest of the south. I also think Lexington has the same type of mixture to it given Cincinnati (A Midwestern city) is just about an hour north and the dialect sounds relatively flat compared to the rest of the South. I've honestly always felt the whole Golden Triangle of Kentucky draws flavor from both the Midwest and the South. The lifestyle in both these cities doesn't strike me as either too laid back or too fast-paced. i dunno...they may be more Southern than midwestern in the end, having been to both cities I would say that there is a very noticeable Midwestern and Southern presence in both of these cities. And given both are basically within the Ohio valley I just call it in between. Personally unless we are talking about cities like Paducah which are not far north of the Tennessee border, it really doesn't strike me as correct to call a city in the Ohio valley as the South. It's kind of guess a matter of opinion. I've heard people argue for the Southern component and for a mixture. I would never however include Louisville and Lexington in the Midwest and not in the South, that is obviously incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area