Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM

59 posts, read 155,061 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I've lived in Lubbock on and off for 5 years, mostly as a grad student. Because I needed to be near TTU, I lived in areas not far from the university. I recently moved back last year and took an apartment near Quaker Pines because I know the area pretty well. However, I am now finding that I am sick of living in apartment rentals that are invaded by transient students. I am single, a woman in my 40's, and I just don't have the patience for the noise, the loud music, the smoking in the apartments that comes through the heating vent (even when smoking is clearly stated in the contract as prohibited in the apartments...) and the yelling and screaming in the parking lot. I have nothing against students (they have been mostly nice) but my lifestyle is much different now.

I am a very quiet person who keeps mostly to myself. I work from home, so location near a workplace is not an issue. However, I can't afford/don't want a car, so I have to be in a place where I can run errands (grocery shopping, pharmacy, cafe, bank, post office, hair salon, etc - I know it's hard to find all of those in one place, but the first 3 are the most important). Since I work from home, I really prefer a 2 bedroom so that the second one will be an office, but I can make do with a 1 bedroom if I have to. My funds are a bit limited, so I can't go above $650 a month. I just renewed my lease for 6 months so I won't be moving until the summer.

I know it's not going to be easy, but I plan on remaining in Lubbock for a while and I really want to find a nice quite place that won't be invaded by the students but by older, professional people.

Suggestions for areas to look (i.e., southwest, southeast, etc.) would help as well as specific apartment complexes where people have had good experiences or have heard of that would fit my needs.

Thank you for your help!

Tam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 77,180 times
Hmm... I don't live there but visit ooccasionally so I will take a crack at it. First of all, dodging Tech students is impossible for 650 a month. However don't be discouraged, you just have to find places where Tech isn't as accessible for students. Stay away from the Frankfort area around Convergys area. Those apartments cater to tech like no other. My advice to shorten this out (Lubbock is actually pretty big), live around the southwest area of town. When I visit, I stay with family in the metropolitan apartments near the mall and don't see many students around. Key word.... MANY, meaning that they are there but not as prominent. Again, tech students are everywhere, you just have to find the calmer places around town. I would look at apartments around the kingsgate area around 82nd, anywhere south of the mall, or further out past where best buy is located. The further from tech, the better. When apartment hunting, keep away from areas that say, (easy access to Tech, Shuttles or buses that go to Tech, or student discounts). I don't think anyone knows any specific apartments that are student free or have few students. My sister lives in the omni apartments near slide and it's very calm there. You may want to check those out. The best thing to do is discuss it with a leasing office to see if your area is calm. Students tend to flock to the best deals so avoid looking for the cheapest option. Hope I helped at all. Lubbock is a good city that gets better every year. Good luck apartment hunting!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,544 times
Do not rent from west wind apartments or if you have to go to texas proud laundry mat do not rent anything from those guys they will not fix anything at all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: