Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

We've had a another nice visit to Gardiner and going back again. There's a new "natural foods" store in downtown and our visit to Reny's yielded some great buys. We could sit at the riverfront all day.

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-28-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Hi RiverBird! I'm so glad you are here in Maine!

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. The brand new hospital in north Augusta, MaineGeneral (exit 113 from I95) is 'top-notch', as is the hospital in Lewiston: Central Maine Medical Center.

Property taxes vary from town to town. I think Mainebrokerman will be better at answering that one! But some towns are good at keeping taxes lower than others, and it definitely depends on if the property has desired waterfront access or how expensive the property is.

There's a farmer's market in Gardiner up the hill from the riverfront walk (on Wednesdays, I believe). There's also one in Augusta at the shopping center with Petco and TJ Maxx at the intersection of Route202/Western Avenue and Whitten Drive. I think it is Wednesdays and Saturdays. And there is another one closer to downtown Augusta. There is an organic CSA farm in Sabattus, just west of Gardiner. We know people who belong to it and get a lot of nice produce.

Hope that helps a little! Feel free to direct message me if you have other questions.

*Sorry--there were questions about these topics a little while ago!

Old 08-28-2016, 05:59 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
... Anyone here know what the quality of medical care/hospital is in Augusta?
They have a new hospital, alfond hospital

https://www.mainegeneral.org/Pages/F...ta-Campus.aspx

Quote:
... Are there property tax breaks for seniors of moderate income?
For our 2400 sq ft house we are taxes around $600/year.

Quote:
... Any/many organic farmers in the Gardiner-Augusta area?
Yes, I think you will find many of them.

MOFGA Discussion Forums

Old 08-29-2016, 01:45 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Checking back in on this thread... to re-read lots of the good info.

If anyone wants to write (I hate the PM on here, but if you write there and want to exchange emails or FB we can), i would love to discuss retiring to Maine.

I am a retiree (F, 57), and was going to move alone from NJ to Maine. My partner now wants to move also, so that will be a help. He will be retiring next year (at 63). He's originally from NYC and didnt think he could take the move, but he's grown to love it there also. Mellowing from year to year

I'm always HOT, hate Summer, and hope the find the peace and fresh air there that i dont have in NJ. I've been there many, many times. I'm looking to buy a house along the coast/salt water. (probably Washington Co.) I love the entire coast, but find that if i want to live right along the water, nothing is affordable for me below the Ellsworth area. I really need to spend below $160K. (I dont need anything large or extravagant!) A yr-round cottage is fine.

I was originally looking at Eastport, but my S/O wants to be more "rural." I remind him that we want to live here 'forever,' and we have to be near some services, and not have too much acreage to care for. So - we're going back and forth with that. Will be going up in Dec. and at least riding by some of our favorite houses for sale. Several are in Lubec, and several in Steuben. I've also noticed quite a few affordable properties in the Dennysville, Pembroke, Robbinston area - it is really remote there? I've not been that far up yet, but will be checking it out in Dec. Thanks.

Edited to add: I have Medicare and BC/BS FEP PPO, he has Amerigroup... if that matters as to where to find healthcare.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:23 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

If anyone wants to write (I hate the PM on here, but if you write there and want to exchange emails or FB we can), i would love to discuss retiring to Maine.

I am a retiree (F, 57), and was going to move alone from NJ to Maine. My partner now wants to move also, so that will be a help. He will be retiring next year (at 63). He's originally from NYC and didnt think he could take the move, but he's grown to love it there also. Mellowing from year to year

I'm always HOT, hate Summer, and hope the find the peace and fresh air there that i dont have in NJ. I've been there many, many times. I'm looking to buy a house along the coast/salt water. (probably Washington Co.) I love the entire coast, but find that if i want to live right along the water, nothing is affordable for me below the Ellsworth area. I really need to spend below $160K. (I dont need anything large or extravagant!) A yr-round cottage is fine.

I was originally looking at Eastport, but my S/O wants to be more "rural." I remind him that we want to live here 'forever,' and we have to be near some services, and not have too much acreage to care for. So - we're going back and forth with that. Will be going up in Dec. and at least riding by some of our favorite houses for sale. Several are in Lubec, and several in Steuben. I've also noticed quite a few affordable properties in the Dennysville, Pembroke, Robbinston area - it is really remote there? I've not been that far up yet, but will be checking it out in Dec. Thanks.

Edited to add: I have Medicare and BC/BS FEP PPO, he has Amerigroup... if that matters as to where to find healthcare.
Does it have to be ocean water?

We have a lot of lakes and rivers.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

All the towns you have mentioned are less densely populated than Eastport. Steuben may be the most'rural of the bunch. It is good to be closer to medical facilities when you are older.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Does it have to be ocean water?

We have a lot of lakes and rivers.
Does not have to be the ocean, but salt-water is the first choice. Can be a cove, inlet, bay, waterway, etc.

I have several properties i like on rivers and i will go there if i cant get any of the salt-water places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine