Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

I am watching fat snowflakes fall down here in Virginia. Its' quiet. Nice fire in the fireplace and sleeping cat on the sofa. So now I am thinking about food

Hello, I came here to this forum some months ago. And had the great idea that this would be a good place to ask all kinds of questions about "moving to Maine." Like so many others, somehow found Maine as a possible destination from a place I would like to get away from. Then found that _lots_ and _lots_ of others have and are, all seeking the same things and posting the same questions. I am somewhat embarrased

But since then the forum has shown itself to be a place where there are a lot of well written and thoughtful people who post and discuss many and diverse issues about living in Maine. Watch, read and learn.

Well I don't live in Maine, don't have any ways to in the immediate future (but keep working on it) but am grateful for this forum, its' people and ideas, and especially for you all letting me read and occasionally even post something that I hope is not too inappropriate, etc. I enjoy this place.

SO... back to food (yea!) Can one find grits in Maine? And not the trendy like "shrimp and grits" that seems to be the du jour fad of the month here in DC. But good, steaming, buttered white corn grits, that come with your eggs, sausage, wheat toast, good coffee and orange juice, served in a diner breakfast, that one enjoys among your fellow man (persons) I should note that I have absolutely nothing against home fries! With ketchup...

I enjoy the great threads here that confirm the appealing qualities of Maine. This post is intended to find out some more detailed and specific information

qw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
If not, I can have my mom ship us some from Texas!

Old 12-05-2007, 05:59 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
My DH makes grits at home as we don't do resteraunts often if ever. It's a rare thing that I may go to lunch with a friend or even buy a pizza. I don't know of any place that makes them but, there are a few here that travel the state a lot and would know of great diners that may.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
I've seen them in the grocery stores I have no idea how to make them, and I've only had them once--in North Carolina....I'm a hush puppy girl! lol...

Old 12-05-2007, 06:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I doubt there is a diner in Maine that serves grits, but you can get them in a supermarket. They will be right between the Cream of Wheat and the oatmeal.

When I joined the Navy I went to Pensacola. Before checking in at the base I stopped for breakfast and ordered ham and eggs. The waitress asked If I wanted grits with that. I said, "Ok, I'll try a grit." She looked over her glasses at me, wondered if I was serious or just totally helpless. I was indeed out of my element and was dead serious. I figured a grit was like a fritter or something. First time I ever had grits.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:18 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Oh, I love my grits with butter and sugar - just like cream of wheat. A lot of people here prefer them with cheese or with gravy, but my sweet tooth is just too strong!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:29 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I doubt there is a diner in Maine that serves grits, but you can get them in a supermarket. They will be right between the Cream of Wheat and the oatmeal.

When I joined the Navy I went to Pensacola. Before checking in at the base I stopped for breakfast and ordered ham and eggs. The waitress asked If I wanted grits with that. I said, "Ok, I'll try a grit." She looked over her glasses at me, wondered if I was serious or just totally helpless. I was indeed out of my element and was dead serious. I figured a grit was like a fritter or something. First time I ever had grits.
Like in "my cousin vinny" when the lawyer asks dead seriously, 'what's a GRIT?' in a strong new york accent. VERY funny,.

I've grown to like grits. They're weird but they're like comfort food.

And I agree with elcarim; they're good so many ways. My fave is hot with butter salt and pepper just like rice ... YUM.

Technically we're supposed to be oatmeal people, I think. ANd, I like that too with cinnamon and sugar and butter hot and milk and same minus butter cold.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I never saw grits on a menu in Maine or NH. I love grits and have my son send me stone ground grits from South Carolina. They are coarse ground and have some of the husk still in with em, you have to put them in water to let the chaff float to the top and skim it off before cooking them. Also if you are ever traveling down the Skyline Drive scenic highway in Virginia there is an operating grist mill that grinds grits. I think you can order them on line??? In RI i used to get locally stone ground yellow corn meal and it is pretty good too. I love grits for breakfast with my eggs and ham; My son uses them in gourmet cooking, fried to sit other delicacies like fried green tomatoes or grouper and all kind of other stuff--but his cheesy grits are the best!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
New England has great hot cereals, not just oat meal. I can't get hot ralston out here and I don't think I've seen Cream of Wheat. I know they don't have mapo but I don't like it anyway. I like corn meal mush with molasses on a cold morning! Thats Maine and New England comfort food; and the next morning cut and fry any left over and have it with maple syrup. yum yum

Old 12-05-2007, 06:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Grits...ugh...

Long live the Johnny Cake!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: