Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 45,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
There are Texans, Washatonians, Floridans, New Mexicans, Oklahomans and Coloradoans but I have never heard what a person who lives in the state of Maine is called. Mainards, Mainiacs or what?
Happy.......!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 PM

21 posts, read 74,544 times
Born and raised on Mount Desert Island (Acadia Nat'l Park) and having a dad as a fisherman, I have learned that the most widely used term to refer to us as is "Mainah" (with a definite emphasis on the "ah")!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,403,975 times
What are people who live in Maine called?

lucky!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Tourists are either stap-hangers or PFAs (People From Away). Goatropers are the same as granolas, but from away. Any PFA can be a strap-hanger, but one would have to have a certain amount of earthiness to be a goat-roper.

*I was asked, so I'm clarifying... "What is a granola?"
Someone who is back-to-the-earth, usually shops at the food co-op, and generally lives a life using as many earth-friendly products and practices as possible. You know...a granola eater. It's not a bad or negative thing, just different from the typical WalMart shoppers, if you know what I mean. One of my sisters is a granola, I'm half-granola, and my other sister is not even granola in the least. Chances are, if you've exhibited at the Full Circle or Common Ground Fairs.... you know a granola or 2. Might even bee one.
deer ...well said,,,granolas have risen in status thru the years,,,havent heard the phrase "bark-eating, tree-hugging granola," in a few years

i can respect anyones lifestyle of what they eat,, ...but thats rarely a two way street..as a carnivore,,i dont put down the vegetarian we have in our family,,yet she is quick,,,to put us all down,,for eating meat,,,

Old 02-22-2008, 09:28 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,902,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i can respect anyones lifestyle of what they eat,, ...but thats rarely a two way street..as a carnivore,,i dont put down the vegetarian we have in our family,,yet she is quick,,,to put us all down,,for eating meat,,,
I usually just offer them a pork rind or a discussion over some Bar-B-Que'd ribs. Can't imagine why there hasn't been any takers yet. I mean come on, if God didn't want us to eat the little buggers, he wouldn't have made them taste so damn good.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,760,883 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the thread is about what Mainahs are called, so we'll have to leave discussing the finer points of carrot murderers for another thread.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

I live in the "Highlands Area" of Maine,... does that make me a "Highlander"?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:55 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I live in the "Highlands Area" of Maine,... does that make me a "Highlander"?
yep!! thats it, a milonian highlander

Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yep!! thats it, a milonian highlander
I like it!!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 12,598 times
Default Depends...

It depends on what you like and where in the state you're from. In general we are "Mainahs", that's mainers to the non-locals. But for instance if you you are a "Down Easter" if you are from the Downeast part of the state, or your a Northern New Englander if you are from the Southern part. In general, I just like to call us good folk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine