Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 9,760 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are planning o relocate to Hagerstown where I have a job offer. Im looking to compare the 2 cities but as I dont plan on driving much, I will really prefer to live in Hagerstown and see how I like it.

How are the libraries compared to Frederick?

Does Hagerstown has a lot of groceries stores as well ?

Which city is rich in public transportation?

What are the safe neighborhoods of Hagerstown ?

Any farms in the areas between Frederick and Hagerstown?

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,301,565 times
My suggestion would be to do basic research on Google Maps/Google Earth, and Wikipedia first. Many of your questions would be easily answered by looking at a map or city directory.

In general, think of Frederick as an edge city to the D.C./Baltimore metro region. It has strong economic connections to both big cities, lots of commuters, a gentrified downtown, etc. It still retains its own history and character though. Think of Hagerstown as more of a small city/regional center for a rural/exurban region. It is more conservative in outlook and a "red county" politically, while Frederick is best thought of as a "purple county" at this point.

Hagerstown will be cheaper, Frederick more pricey. Hagerstown will be more laid back, but have less "stuff to do" compared to Frederick where traffic is heavy and more people mean more shopping, restaurants, some semblance of night life, etc.

I'll be happy to answer additional questions, but look up some basics first to give yourself a better bearing on the communities

Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
Neither city has a fantastic public transit system. There are bus systems in both but have never used either in the 30+ years I have lived here.

I don't know much about the Washington County (Hagerstown) Library system but they built a beautiful new one in Boonsboro a few years ago and I see notices of programs at the Hagerstown Library on a regular basis. In Maryland you can borrow from any county with a card from another county.

Grocery stores - a wide variety in both.

Farms - not as many as there used to be 30 years ago but plenty. I am curious about the reason for the question

And as far as commuting from one to the other remember there are two ridgelines you have to cross. EIther or both of those can be a problem in winter. If the job is in Hagerstown I would look at Hagerstown primarily

Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Neither city has a fantastic public transit system. There are bus systems in both but have never used either in the 30+ years I have lived here.

I don't know much about the Washington County (Hagerstown) Library system but they built a beautiful new one in Boonsboro a few years ago and I see notices of programs at the Hagerstown Library on a regular basis. In Maryland you can borrow from any county with a card from another county.

Grocery stores - a wide variety in both.

Farms - not as many as there used to be 30 years ago but plenty. I am curious about the reason for the question

And as far as commuting from one to the other remember there are two ridgelines you have to cross. EIther or both of those can be a problem in winter. If the job is in Hagerstown I would look at Hagerstown primarily
Thank you for your input. Yes the job is in H-town. I love going to the library so I really like a rich and developped library with plenty of events all year long.

As for the farm, I actually live 20mins away from one and thats where i get my beef & poultry from. Any one with fresh berries during the spring will be Great. I dont mind commuting to Southern PA for some meat.

Its quite sad for the public transportation ...but it's not a big deal.

I will google info about schools systems and closest international airport .

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
My suggestion would be to do basic research on Google Maps/Google Earth, and Wikipedia first. Many of your questions would be easily answered by looking at a map or city directory.

In general, think of Frederick as an edge city to the D.C./Baltimore metro region. It has strong economic connections to both big cities, lots of commuters, a gentrified downtown, etc. It still retains its own history and character though. Think of Hagerstown as more of a small city/regional center for a rural/exurban region. It is more conservative in outlook and a "red county" politically, while Frederick is best thought of as a "purple county" at this point.

Hagerstown will be cheaper, Frederick more pricey. Hagerstown will be more laid back, but have less "stuff to do" compared to Frederick where traffic is heavy and more people mean more shopping, restaurants, some semblance of night life, etc.

I'll be happy to answer additional questions, but look up some basics first to give yourself a better bearing on the communities
Hello i did sone research prior to posting here. Not much info about great neighborhoods in H-town except of Fountainhead as I read from previous posts. I had to google groceries stores and pharmacies in Htown to have an idea. Then I got lazy to do the same for Frederick. Looking at schools,hospitals, libraries, groceries , housing in 2 cities in order to compare its quite time consuming,reason why i post here. I read about the commute in the winter, comimg from someone who lives in Massachusetts now and commute 1h10mins each way , i had no idea how worst could it be over there.
Thanks for your input

Old 05-15-2019, 10:19 PM

7,008 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Frenchie View Post
Hello i did sone research prior to posting here. Not much info about great neighborhoods in H-town except of Fountainhead as I read from previous posts. I had to google groceries stores and pharmacies in Htown to have an idea. Then I got lazy to do the same for Frederick. Looking at schools,hospitals, libraries, groceries , housing in 2 cities in order to compare its quite time consuming,reason why i post here. I read about the commute in the winter, comimg from someone who lives in Massachusetts now and commute 1h10mins each way , i had no idea how worst could it be over there.
Thanks for your input
You're welcome. No offense meant by the suggestion to do your own research. We can be much more useful in giving advice if the poster already has some basic sense of the area (for instance the very large amount of farm land present in both Washington and Frederick Counties.)

Both cities are going to have the typical big box type stores like supermarkets, etc.. More variety in Frederick, but Hagerstown is no slouch either. Where Frederick pulls ahead is in the diversity of food and small market offerings. Frederick is a more diverse area and has more variety in restaurants and ethnic markets.

Winter can be bad in the mountains of Maryland. The bigger issue is bad drivers and heavy commuter traffic. All it take is one driver to act foolishly in bad weather and the whole interstate becomes a parking lot. I would agree with MidValleyDad that it would be easier and cheaper to live in Hagerstown if that is where your job is.

I can't speak too much for the good and bad neighborhoods in Hagerstown. I lived in Frederick about 12 years ago now, so my information is a bit outdated. Back then, the places that were higher crime were the areas immediately off Rt. 40, and South St. in the downtown. I have no idea if that information is still true or not.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

International Airports are easy Washington Dulles and BWI. Dulles is better for most International flights but there are a few that are good out of BWI.

FOr fresh produce in season there are some 'pick your own' farms in the area plus a lot of independent stands and farmers markets. You can get dairy products straight from the producing dairy at South Mountain Dairy between the two.

There is also a Frederick subgroup where you can get more local information for the Frederick (and Wshington) county area.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Both Frederick and Hagerstown have transit systems, though I wouldn't call them "rich." Both systems operate hourly during daytime hours, Monday through Saturday. Hagerstown has a very, very limited amount of early-evening service as well. Frederick has more and later-evening service. Also, some of Frederick's routes operate every half-hour during the weekday rush hours. There is no service on Sundays.

Frederick Transit:
https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/20...le-Information

Washington County Transit (Hagerstown):
https://www2.washco-md.net/transit/routes.shtm

Both places also have commuter bus service (weekday peak hours only) to Shady Grove Metro Station.

From Frederick:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...edules/515.pdf

From Hagerstown:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...edules/505.pdf

Frederick also has a route to College Park:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-website...edules/204.pdf

Finally, both cities have a bus route that serves BWI Airport, as well as the nearby Amtrak station and the Greyhound station in Baltimore. I do not know if there is any kind of service to Dulles or Reagan from these cities or not.

Service from Hagerstown is very limited:
https://bayrunnershuttle.com/locations/hagerstown/

Service from Frederick is noticeably more frequent:
https://bayrunnershuttle.com/locations/frederick/

Old 06-03-2019, 06:11 PM

5 posts, read 4,108 times
Later comer to this thread. Can anyone answer a question honestly about Hagerstown crime/drug problem? Is it as bad as some places in Baltimore county?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHon View Post
Later comer to this thread. Can anyone answer a question honestly about Hagerstown crime/drug problem? Is it as bad as some places in Baltimore county?

How do you expect anyone to answer that? 'Some places in Baltimore County' That in itself is so vague I don't know what level of drug activity you are asking about. Secondly Very few people (except someone in the drug business or law enforcement) would know enough about two geographically seperated areas. Also what do you mean by 'a drug problem' Over prescription of opioids? Diversion and misuse of drugs by other family members? Street drugs?

That said in some areas of Hagerstown (like Frederick, Rockville, Salisbury, Towson, Dundalk, ...) There appears to be problems associated with street drugs. Overall there is a drug problem everywhere and I don't believe it is worse in Hagerstown than most areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland