Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times

Advertisements

Yeah, they'll have record of your print request. You wouldn't be denied a vote, but you would be given a provisional ballot to fill out - which will mean even more work for election officials to cross-check and make sure you didn't also send in a printed ballot. Plus your provisional ballot wouldn't be counted until days or weeks after the election.

Just use the printed ballot; submit it as early as you feel comfortable so there's ample time for it to be processed. The state starts counting votes on Oct 1 so there's plenty of time for it to be counted, especially if you submit closer to Oct 1 than Nov 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 06:51 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Thanks, wish I had known that earlier. If it was explained on the website I missed it. I requested an absentee for both primary and general at the same*time. Guess my only alternative is to vote in person.

They have just started mailing out absentee ballots so you may still receive one in the mail. If so and you haven't mailed in the one you printed yet I would just use the one they send you. That one would be easier and faster to process. Either way your vote will count. Just don't send in both.

If you go to a polling place when you check in the system will show that you were issued an absentee ballot. If you tell them you didn't get it you would be directed to the provisional Judge and fill out a Provisional Ballot.. This would happen every time I worked as an Election Judge. Sometimes people would say they had requested an absentee but then found out they weren't going to travel, Sometimes they had requested one for both the Primary and the General and forgotten when the general came around. There was one Primary campaign in a previous election cycle that was having campaign people going door to door getting people to sign up for absentee ballots and the residents thought they were just supporting the candidate. (I know our Election Office was looking into that but don't know what the result was.)

In Maryland no one should be denied the chance to cast a ballot. 99% of the time it will go smoothly and the voter will cast the ballot via in person voting using a standard ballot. The out of the ordinary cases will be handled by a Provisional Ballot which gets sent in with documentation as to the reason for the ballot (using an inner and outer envelope to maintain the secrecy of the ballot if it is accepted) could not be handled in the 'normal way'. The job of the poll workers is to enable people to cast their ballots. It is the job of the Election Board to make the decisions in the unusual cases.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:10 AM

122 posts, read 169,730 times
Just got my confirmation email that I will be sent a ballot to my home and there is a link to track the ballot. The early voting sites were too far from home to be convenient and looking at the map it seems our area has gone from 2 to 1 day of voting sites. Our area usually has heavy voter turnout and I don’t want to have stand in line for a long time, so mail in seems like a good plan for me.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:06 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
They have just started mailing out absentee ballots so you may still receive one in the mail. If so and you haven't mailed in the one you printed yet I would just use the one they send you. That one would be easier and faster to process. Either way your vote will count. Just don't send in both.

If you go to a polling place when you check in the system will show that you were issued an absentee ballot. If you tell them you didn't get it you would be directed to the provisional Judge and fill out a Provisional Ballot.. This would happen every time I worked as an Election Judge. Sometimes people would say they had requested an absentee but then found out they weren't going to travel, Sometimes they had requested one for both the Primary and the General and forgotten when the general came around. There was one Primary campaign in a previous election cycle that was having campaign people going door to door getting people to sign up for absentee ballots and the residents thought they were just supporting the candidate. (I know our Election Office was looking into that but don't know what the result was.)

In Maryland no one should be denied the chance to cast a ballot. 99% of the time it will go smoothly and the voter will cast the ballot via in person voting using a standard ballot. The out of the ordinary cases will be handled by a Provisional Ballot which gets sent in with documentation as to the reason for the ballot (using an inner and outer envelope to maintain the secrecy of the ballot if it is accepted) could not be handled in the 'normal way'. The job of the poll workers is to enable people to cast their ballots. It is the job of the Election Board to make the decisions in the unusual cases.
So let's recap:

We have an individual who:
1) already applied for an absentee ballot
2) has printed a mail in ballot off the website and
3) now thinks he should go vote in person

This is why, among other reasons, I have felt from the beginning this whole process was going to turn into a cluster****.

The elected and appointed officials didn't help matters from the start by conflating absentee ballots (which have always existed and for which there were specific requirements) with the new mail in system. I think some did it intentionally (like those claiming that President Trump voted mail in when he actually did absentee voting which, again, had certain parameters to be met) while others just didn't care or know the difference.

Then you had the State Board of Elections declare that mail in and absentee would be interchangeable in meaning and called vote by mail.

Then you had every single registered voter sent a primary ballot back in June. I already described my experience at the local Post Office where I found between 40 and 50 of those ballots just discarded in the lobby.

Fun Fact:
Absentee and Provisional ballots historically haven't been counted until days or even weeks after the election has been certified. If those votes won't impact the election outcome then there's no impetus to count them in a timely fashion.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:15 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,477 times
Thanks all for the advice. I'll get it in early. I consider myself an alert voter, and am now embarrassed*I missed this.*OTOH, MD, and several other states have criticized USPS for issuing misleading*information. I do think there is big potential for a cluster.....

NBP, your opening sentence at post #8 was:
"That printed ballot apparently won't work."
That's why I mentioned voting in person.....

Old 09-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks all for the advice. I'll get it in early. I consider myself an alert voter, and am now embarrassed*I missed this.*OTOH, MD, and several other states have criticized USPS for issuing misleading*information. I do think there is big potential for a cluster.....

NBP, your opening sentence at post #8 was:
"That printed ballot apparently won't work."
That's why I mentioned voting in person.....
You are correct. I should have appended "because the printed ballot won't scan".

But the bottom line is that if someone like you who is at least semi-sentient got confused what will happen with the average Marylander?

Old 09-28-2020, 12:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You are correct. I should have appended "because the printed ballot won't scan".

But the bottom line is that if someone like you who is at least semi-sentient got confused what will happen with the average Marylander?
There's certainly an expectation that more ballots will be rejected than previous cycles, especially among young voters and minority voters.

Edit: if anyone else has questions about the election process be sure and ask someone. Either here or in real life. Make sure your vote counts.
https://elections.maryland.gov/votin...questions.html

Last edited by bufflove; 09-28-2020 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-28-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Being damned*by faint praise is worse than death by a thousand cuts....

Old 09-28-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
There's certainly an expectation that more ballots will be rejected than previous cycles, especially among young voters and minority voters.

Edit: if anyone else has questions about the election process be sure and ask someone. Either here or in real life. Make sure your vote counts.
https://elections.maryland.gov/votin...questions.html
Good thing this isn't a Republican state or you'd be screaming "voter suppression".

The instructions are indeed confusing and contradictory in a couple cases. When I worked for PG County Schools I used to call these Margarita Plans. Someone would get an idea or a directive late on Friday and everybody would go to the bar to develop the plan for Monday morning (the same thing is happening now with online school planning).

Quote:
Being damned*by faint praise is worse than death by a thousand cuts....
C'mon, what I said sets you apart from the vast majority of this state's residents who get confused and start crying if they have to work with a number that has more than three zeroes.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Good thing this isn't a Republican state or you'd be screaming "voter suppression".

The instructions are indeed confusing and contradictory in a couple cases. When I worked for PG County Schools I used to call these Margarita Plans. Someone would get an idea or a directive late on Friday and everybody would go to the bar to develop the plan for Monday morning (the same thing is happening now with online school planning).

C'mon, what I said sets you apart from the vast majority of this state's residents who get confused and start crying if they have to work with a number that has more than three zeroes.
I was being facetious. I'm made of sterner stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland