Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 06:49 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I certainly would not be interesting in building my own wood shop at the age of 70.

OP since your net is so wide with regard to where to move you have a ton of options. The Gettysburg suggestion is a good one, as is western MD or WV. As I continue to point out north of Baltimore will be more expensive, you will get more for the buck in other areas.
My uncle was 59 when he did the work. put the logs in by himself also. Also drove the backhoe on the tight lot with no assistance.

C'mon, your a mountain man now.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 08:34 AM

134 posts, read 125,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I want to make clear I am not saying folks that want to live rural shouldn't. I just think the area near 83 has a lot close by, and you can be very remote at the same time, and it's very pretty.
And they would have many options with their budget.

Problem is folks don't know the area, drive up 83, or York RD, or through the industrial park, shrug their shoulders, and say "This is the area?"

Same thing in the city with around the harbor.......
You make some very good points. Are there any specific areas to the north that you would suggest exploring?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Isn't Asheville more left leaning? OP wants more right leaning!
I didn't want to make a big deal of the political issue, but you are correct. From what I can determine, Asheville, while being a very beautiful place, has made a sharp left turn over the past several years. A lot of people have told me to avoid it.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:59 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I see lots of old stone farm houses in Bedford County, PA. That is further west than what has been recommended to you so far, but your money will go further there, and you can within 30 minutes of hospital care in Cumberland or Altoona.

I wouldn't discount Allegany County, MD either. Even if you aren't a fan of Cumberland, there are some old stone farm houses here too in the valleys north of Cumberland (not a coincidence these lead to Bedford County.)

Old 11-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I see lots of old stone farm houses in Bedford County, PA. That is further west than what has been recommended to you so far, but your money will go further there, and you can within 30 minutes of hospital care in Cumberland or Altoona.

I wouldn't discount Allegany County, MD either. Even if you aren't a fan of Cumberland, there are some old stone farm houses here too in the valleys north of Cumberland (not a coincidence these lead to Bedford County.)
Thanks, I will do more research in those areas!

Old 11-05-2020, 10:53 AM

56 posts, read 34,421 times
How about the Port Deposit area? For an interesting ride, head north on BelAir Road, drive across the Conowingo Dam, and PD is right there. And while it seems remote, you’re not far from I-95 and tax-free shopping in Delaware.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingQuaker View Post
How about the Port Deposit area? For an interesting ride, head north on BelAir Road, drive across the Conowingo Dam, and PD is right there. And while it seems remote, you’re not far from I-95 and tax-free shopping in Delaware.
Interesting idea. Never thought of that. Thanks!

Old 11-05-2020, 07:01 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
If politics are a concern for you to some extent and you lean right, before moving to Maryland search for maps of the congressional districts in Maryland. We used to have 4Dem/4Rep in Congress a little over twenty years ago. The Democrats have put Republicans anywhere in the country to shame at their prowess to gerrymander a state. We now have one Republican in Congress. They found it too hard to divvy up the Eastern Shore, which, if determined to live in Maryland, you might find it more to your liking, although it is flat.

This time around I am sure they will gun for it though.

Old 11-05-2020, 11:28 PM

9,776 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingQuaker View Post
I was thinking around that area, too. Perhaps near Oxford, PA. Pretty scenery. I used to get off I-95 to get to Route 1 when there was bad traffic driving from DC to my family in PA. Very pretty around there. As you get closer to Longwood Gardens/Chadds Ford, I'm guessing it gets expensive but the whole area is very nice.

Living in NC now and as far as Asheville is concerned, it is very liberal, but that is the city of Asheville itself. The surrounding counties are red. And there are other places in the NC mountains besides Asheville - there is Boone, Hendersonville and other towns. Having said that, I think the suggestions around MD and PA sound more similar to what you want than the mountains of NC.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I was thinking around that area, too. Perhaps near Oxford, PA. Pretty scenery. I used to get off I-95 to get to Route 1 when there was bad traffic driving from DC to my family in PA. Very pretty around there. As you get closer to Longwood Gardens/Chadds Ford, I'm guessing it gets expensive but the whole area is very nice.

Living in NC now and as far as Asheville is concerned, it is very liberal, but that is the city of Asheville itself. The surrounding counties are red. And there are other places in the NC mountains besides Asheville - there is Boone, Hendersonville and other towns. Having said that, I think the suggestions around MD and PA sound more similar to what you want than the mountains of NC.
How would you describe the climate in Chapel Hill as compared to DC or Philly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland