Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 984 times

Advertisements

Hi all. It's possible my husband may get a job in DC. We live in a small town in the midwest pretty modestly (our home is worth 180k). We have five kids but three are adults, two in high school.

We honestly don't like cities and want to live as far as we can out and get public transport in to work. Looking at Queen Anne's Co geographically for that reason. Thankfully the job is hybrid and he would only goin 3 days a week.

1) housing. is it possible to find a lot there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and put a modular home on it? This is not a trailer, but a home built elsewhere and trucked in and placed on a foundation. The reason for this is one son is in a wheelchair--it is TONS easier to build for wheelchairs rather than retrofit.

2) Schools. Both of my high school sons have disabilities, but one in particular has many due to cerebral palsy. How is the social services support for people with disabilities in general, and esp in schools? I used to live in Virginia and I frankly assume Maryland would be better.

Thanks! I know it looks pricey but I am wondering if it is even worth scouring for the one lot or house that will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 11:01 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Others will know more, but Queen Anne's County puts you on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, the other side of the Chesapeake Bay from D.C. Your hubby would need to use the Bay Bridge for part of his commute (not fun) then have to find public transportation on the Annapolis side of the bridge. I don't have a time estimate, but being on the other side of the bridge adds a lot of time.

Again, you will get lots of recommendations, but if you want cheaper housing in MD and don't mind a longer commute, look west towards the rural parts of Frederick County or Washington County. I can't speak specifically to the quality of the schools.

Old 02-01-2024, 04:15 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Others will know more, but Queen Anne's County puts you on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, the other side of the Chesapeake Bay from D.C. Your hubby would need to use the Bay Bridge for part of his commute (not fun) then have to find public transportation on the Annapolis side of the bridge. I don't have a time estimate, but being on the other side of the bridge adds a lot of time.

Again, you will get lots of recommendations, but if you want cheaper housing in MD and don't mind a longer commute, look west towards the rural parts of Frederick County or Washington County. I can't speak specifically to the quality of the schools.
I agree with this. There are plenty of smaller towns that are more accessible to DC, going over the Bay Bridge 3 times a week would be a nightmare. If the husband works on a Friday well we all know what route 50 looks like on a Friday evening from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

I always seem to promote the Frederick area when reading these threads, there's a reason for that. But it is very expensive. But there is West Virginia which is close by and a lot cheaper but OP will need to research the schools. There are trains to DC from both areas, certainly an easier commute than the eastern shore

Old 02-01-2024, 04:21 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanwd1 View Post
We live in a small town in the midwest pretty modestly (our home is worth 180k).
We have five kids but three are adults, two in high school.
We honestly don't like cities and want to live as far as we can...

(Now,) It's possible my husband may get a job in DC.
I suggest he explore what other offers and choices are available in other places that suit without such a compromise.
You will never be happy anywhere that doesn't make his daily commute a repeating misery.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:20 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I agree with this. There are plenty of smaller towns that are more accessible to DC, going over the Bay Bridge 3 times a week would be a nightmare. If the husband works on a Friday well we all know what route 50 looks like on a Friday evening from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

I always seem to promote the Frederick area when reading these threads, there's a reason for that. But it is very expensive. But there is West Virginia which is close by and a lot cheaper but OP will need to research the schools. There are trains to DC from both areas, certainly an easier commute than the eastern shore
I hesitate to say anything because I've been accused of not knowing what I'm talking about. But who cares?

The first thing I'd say is that she should maybe be prepared for sticker shock.
Going in three days a week may as well be every day.
As mentioned, coming from the Eastern Shore could quickly become a chore. The westbound Bay Bridge was closed last week for six hours after a forty three vehicle pileup. Yes, that's not usual but there is no good workaround for the bridge.
I have to ask about West Virginia. I know that hundreds (thousands?) of people do that (there, I said it again) but once again I have to ask how long that commute is even using the train?
There are numerous ruralish small towns, both north and south of the District that could work, although if schools are important that pretty much excludes Prince George's and some schools in Charles.
My son in law drove into the Navy Yard from Leonardtown for several years. He wanted to stick a fork in his eye most days.

Old 02-01-2024, 09:54 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanwd1 View Post
Hi all. It's possible my husband may get a job in DC. We live in a small town in the midwest pretty modestly (our home is worth 180k). We have five kids but three are adults, two in high school.

We honestly don't like cities and want to live as far as we can out and get public transport in to work. Looking at Queen Anne's Co geographically for that reason. Thankfully the job is hybrid and he would only goin 3 days a week.

1) housing. is it possible to find a lot there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and put a modular home on it? This is not a trailer, but a home built elsewhere and trucked in and placed on a foundation. The reason for this is one son is in a wheelchair--it is TONS easier to build for wheelchairs rather than retrofit.

2) Schools. Both of my high school sons have disabilities, but one in particular has many due to cerebral palsy. How is the social services support for people with disabilities in general, and esp in schools? I used to live in Virginia and I frankly assume Maryland would be better.

Thanks! I know it looks pricey but I am wondering if it is even worth scouring for the one lot or house that will work.
The school assumption is a giant leap given the reputation of schools in VA, especially of most of those in any close proximity to DC. I would suggest looking in areas of Stafford County near Aquia and Garrisonville which offers nearby commuter rail service to DC on the VRE. https://www.vre.org/

Old 02-02-2024, 09:57 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I hesitate to say anything because I've been accused of not knowing what I'm talking about. But who cares?

The first thing I'd say is that she should maybe be prepared for sticker shock.
Going in three days a week may as well be every day.
As mentioned, coming from the Eastern Shore could quickly become a chore. The westbound Bay Bridge was closed last week for six hours after a forty three vehicle pileup. Yes, that's not usual but there is no good workaround for the bridge.
I have to ask about West Virginia. I know that hundreds (thousands?) of people do that (there, I said it again) but once again I have to ask how long that commute is even using the train?
There are numerous ruralish small towns, both north and south of the District that could work, although if schools are important that pretty much excludes Prince George's and some schools in Charles.
My son in law drove into the Navy Yard from Leonardtown for several years. He wanted to stick a fork in his eye most days.
Most people from Jefferson / Berkeley Co don't actually commute into DC proper anyway...

Using Jefferson Co WV OnTheMap numbers:
Jefferson Co WV 26.3%
Loudoun Co MD 13.8%
Berkeley Co WV 13.2%
Fairfax Co VA 8.9%
Frederick Co MD 5.7%
Montgomery Co MD 4.3%
Washington Co MD 2.5%
Frederick Co VA 2%
Winchester city VA 1.9%

So basically ~20% to Loudoun & Fairfax, and ~10% to the 270 corridor in Maryland. DC proper, btw, is 0.8% (203 jobs).

Further west into Berkeley Co (Martinsburg) it's different...
Berkeley Co WV 37.5%
Washington Co MD 9.2%
Jefferson Co WV 8.2%
Frederick Co VA 5.2%
Fairfax Co VA 4.6%
Loudoun Co VA 4.4%
Winchester city VA 3.9%
Frederick Co MD 3.4%
Montgomery Co MD 3%

Loudoun + Fairfax is down to ~10%, 270 corridor down to ~7%, while you see a big jump in the two counties immediately to the north on I-81 (Washington Co / Hagerstown) and south on I-81 (Frederick Co VA + Winchester), both at around 10% each. DC proper, again, is 0.7% (429 jobs).

Definitely different from Calvert Co:
Calvert Co MD 31.6%
PG Co MD 17.4%
St Mary's Co MD 10.2%
Anne Arundel Co MD 7.7%
Washington DC 6.1%
Charles Co MD 4.7%
Montgomery Co MD 4.4%
Baltimore Co MD 2.6%
Baltimore city MD 2.1%

The northern part of Calvert commutes heavily to PG, Anne Arundel, and also DC itself, alongside some commuters to Charles Co or even as far as Montgomery Co and Baltimore (both at almost 5%). Southern part do commute to St. Mary's Co (i.e. Pax River).

BTW, Queen Anne's doesn't really get THAT many DC commuters, either:
Queen Anne's Co 25%
Anne Arundel 20.6%
PG Co 7.9%
Kent Co 5.7%
Baltimore Co 4.8%
Baltimore city 4.6%
Talbot 4.6%
Howard 3.3%
Montgomery 3.0%
DC 1.8%

It's mostly going to Anne Arundel (Annapolis in particular), a fair amount to Baltimore, and more people going to Howard Co (Columbia in particular) than DC proper itself.

The tl;dr: The MSA / CBSA division doesn't lie. Jefferson Co WV is in DC MSA b/c there are definitely a sizable commuter heading east, while Martinsburg is more tied with communities along I-81 corridor. Then Queen Anne's Co is part of Baltimore MSA b/c it's tied way more to Baltimore and Anne Arundel Co than anywhere in DC MSA. Calvert flip between being grouped into DC MSA and being group with St. Mary's Co since it's divided between DC area commuters, southern Baltimore area commuters (i.e. Anne Arundel Co), and people going to Pax River in the southern part of Calvert Co.

Old 02-16-2024, 07:25 AM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

Maryland Dept of Transportation actually has weekday commuter busses to and from D.C. from Kent Narrows (east of the Bay Bridge) https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedule/250

Last edited by slowlane; 02-16-2024 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-16-2024, 09:57 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Maryland Dept of Transportation actually has weekday commuter busses to and from D.C. from Kent Narrows (east of the Bay Bridge) https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedule/250
Wow what a fantastic service. Bay traffic won't be so bad if someone else is driving while you close your eyes to rest or noodle around on your phone. I didn't see a cost, is it free?

Old 02-16-2024, 01:09 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
it's operated by Dillion Bus Service cost $7 each way from Kent Island to DC, unless the price went up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland