Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:54 PM

56 posts, read 293,818 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what those PODs rent for?

I'm moving to Texas, but I'm not interested in driving a UHaul all the way there. I think I'd like to just fly there and have a POD delivered. I'm traveling with small children, so the easier I can move, the better.

I know that you can call the 1-800 number for an "exact" quote (not counting all the hidden fees, I'm sure), but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience using them and what they thought (good, bad, & ugly).

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:13 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
My neighbor's daughter used PODS when she moved to FL a couple years ago. They put it where you direct them--in this case the middle of the driveway--and then they come back to pick it up at a designated day and time. I think the only problem she had was that she had to be at the new place for it to be delivered. To sign for it I guess? I'm unsure of this, so find out what the actual delivery rules are. She was concerned b/c she was driving to FL with 2 kids and was afraid she wouldn't get there in time.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times
The only personal experience I had with PODS is they dropped a POD in the wrong location. My house instead of a neighbor's, who had cancelled it 3 days prior. It took them 5 days to come and retrieve it.

A friend of mine used them and she had them hold it for storage for several months. It was supposed to be stored in a climate controlled building. It wasn't, the POD got rained on and all of her stuff was damaged. Everything was covered in mildew and mold.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 AM

3 posts, read 12,159 times
Default Pods

Do not utilize PODS. The initial cost may seem reasonable, but once you attempt to have it delivered they start adding extra charges, stating they cannot charge the full delivery fee legally until the day of delivery. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM

460 posts, read 1,876,476 times
Check into a moving truck - big carriers like VanLines or Mayflower. If you don't have enough to fill the truck they will usually do your move along with another family or two (our neighbors did their move from their TH in MD to FL that way)= it is probably a couple thousand $$ but when you add up the cost of the PODS, delivery, possible storage, etc., it may not be that much different - and your stuff will be right there when you are.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,362 times
I used PODS 2 years ago to move and it was the most positive experience I could have had. Really! When I called to get one, we chatted and decided I would most likely need two, they were right. I was quoted and charged a price that did not change. They came exactly when they said. On the drop off a month later, I got calls within a few minutes that both were incoming ( they come one at a time on these cool trucks). The one guy said, well I'd better hurry and he got there first and was pulling out when the next one pulled in. I believe it is franchised so I guess different areas might differ but I had 8 delivery/pickup appointments with them and it was flawless. They needed a few days to schedule the drop off at the end but that was anticipated. I wasn't sure of our closing date so I didn't want to call until we actually had closed etc. To move from MD to VA (short move) with 2 pods, 1 month storage was under $1,000. Nothing else could touch that.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

20 posts, read 45,739 times
I think the rate may depend on area and size of pod. I currently have my stuff in storage with them in MI for several months now and so far so good. The drop off went well and they picked it up on the day it was scheduled for pickup even though I was not there. As soon as I find a place I will be calling them to arrange delivery to the DC area. Hoping it won't be too much since gas is currently down.

ETA: I too was told it would be in a climate controlled building and I won't know the true state of things until I unpack. I think I will be okay in terms of stuff moving around and breakage, because I had a professional do the packing plus we used rope for extra security. I also took out insurance on the contents of my pod since I knew it was going to be in their custody for several months and I wouldn't be around to check up on it.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,809 times
I used pods a few months ago. I stored my stuff for a couple of months and then moved across town. It was way easier than using a rental truck to move, store, then move again. Pods are a bit more expensive, but I think they're worth it. You can also save money on a pods unit by using a pods promo code when you check out. Just go to http://www.podspromocode.com to find the latest one. I saved about $75.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,097 times
Default Save with promo code R181

I loved the service and peace of mind I got with PODS. When all your furniture and family valuables are being transported I want to be reassured.

I saved on my storage, transport and moving fees by using the R181 promo code. I have poste a link below for an easy way to get the discount. It never expires and is valid at any PODS branch worldwide.

[URL="http://www.pods.com/?promo=R181"]Reinventing self storage, local and long distance moving | PODS[/URL]

Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM

87 posts, read 333,534 times
you can go to their website and input your zip code here and there and get an instant quote for all charges. you just estimate your household size/ container size and it does the math for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland