Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:37 AM

298 posts, read 998,411 times

Advertisements

Help! I am in a situation and I need some fast advice. I am currently in the process of purchasing a townhome in Tanyard Springs and then I read some disturbing things about how the smell from the BGE plant is polluting the area and that cancer diagnosis' are increasing in the area. I am afraid to go forward with the purchase. Does anyone live there that can fill me in on this? I read that the smell is unbearable in the summer.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 PM

35 posts, read 174,953 times
Anne Arundel County has a high number of people with cancer. I would also be concerned if you have kids, the schools in that area are not desirable unless you are thinking about private schools.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 186,511 times
This area has strong employment ties to industrial Baltimore. I'm sure workers of many of those industries have higher cancer rates than other workers there's often commercials for law firms on tv targeting mesothelioma sufferers that worked in the shipyards and steel mills of the area. The area near the plant smells on occasion, I'm not sure if it's the power plants, the sewage treatment plant, the nearby marshes or what, but I don't find it unbearable just unpleasant, nor is it a continuous smell. Having a coal plant nearby isn't always a desirable feature, fortunantly the prevailing winds (http://metosrv2.umd.edu/~climate/narrativedesc.htm - broken link)for the area are from the NW and SW depending on the seasion which should tend to carry the releases from Brandon Shores/Wagner plants toward the Patapsco :-/ The plants have been in violation of the Clean Air Act in Maryland but the good news is that they are being monitored, and construction for scrubbers to comply with Maryland's tough new Healthy Air Act (http://www.mde.state.md.us/Air/MD_HAA.asp - broken link) is underway. Hopefully that will lessen the impact on the area. If area pollutants do concearn you, you can research other sites in the area such as the closed landfill nearby (http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/brownfields/Browning_Ferris_Industries.pdf - broken link) on the MDE (http://www.mde.state.md.us/Programs/LandPrograms/ERRP_Brownfields/mapping/index.asp - broken link) and EPA sites.

I'm not sure about the schools comment by the other poster...I feel Anne Arundel as a whole has good schools for most kids. If you have kids that are truely in the top 1%, their schools might not be the answer, but then again, most public schools won't. Solley seems like a decent elementary school if this is a concearn of yours I'd talk to parents in the area, and Northeast is an "average" school by the county's standards (again, the county's average is still good IMO) and will probably be sufficient for most students. George Fox Middle....I've heard negative things about the school - from teachers in nearby schools at that...but to call all the area schools undesirable is not fair.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 19,467 times
Default Tanyard Springs

I'm wondering if you have received additional information about living in Tanyard Springs (questions were about BGE plant nearby, odor in the area, is it a healthy area to live in?)

Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM

No, I haven't heard anything more but I have been here in Tanyard Springs since January. I haven't smelled anything either but feel better knowing about the Healthy Air Act. It is nice here, are you considering Tanyard Springs?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 22,417 times
I have been living in Tanyard Springs for about a year and a half. My family and I truly love it! I have not noticed a bad smell at all this summer. I am a teacher in the county and will be definately be sending my children to Solley (neighborhood school.) We have met some lifelong friends here!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 25,610 times
Please note: childofaaco is dead on. I am an advocate Tanyard Springs, but as most have also asked 101 questions about the cancer rate, smoke tacks, schools, crime, etc. A Good/Bad thing is that when I have questions I put a lot of effort in into thorough research. I have contacted AA environmentalist about the cancer rate and the connection to BGE, etc. (The bottom line is that there are many factors that may play a role demographic cancer rate studies.) I remember noting when I moved to AA Co 4 years ago that it seemed as if EVERYONE smoked in this county. I have reviewed detailed EPA reports regarding the land that Tanyard Springs sits on. GB is being monitored based on finding that date back decades. The result of my water report was that the drinking water was just as fine as any in the surrounding areas. However, there may be issues with recreational water exposure that result in alerts every season. BTW, AA has the largest coastal line for aquatic recreation=more people exposed. Furthermore, the area north of Tanyard Springs would be the most be the victims of unbearable smells as well as pollution related illness if this were a major concern.

As far as the schools go, when asked about Howard County the first thing people comment on is "great schools." However, a great school is only part of the circle. This circle also includes the parent, the teacher and the child. You can have a subpar teacher in a top school with a mid-level student or several other variations and none of them equate to a Guaranteed Academic Performer.

My only con is outside of Tanyard Springs. For aesthetic reason Glen Burnie would not be on my list of areas to purchase. However, I have searched far and wide and this community takes the cakes in regards to price, community amenities, taxes, HOA fee, etc.

Just my two cents....signing off.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 42,826 times
Is there a decent amount of people in their 30s in tanyard springs? We are a young family moving there in November, and we really look forward to making new friends. I'm really hoping its a friendly enviroment! Where we are now, it's like pulling teeth to get neighbors to even wave

Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM

Yes, I believe that there is a decent amount of people in their 30's around here (sadly that now excludes me since I just turned 40).
I have noticed both friendly people and people who keep to themselves. Since you have kids you will probably have a better chance meeting other people who have kids. I just have a dog and have met people at the dog park. The Lennar model home sometimes hosts get-togethers like Southern Living so you get to meet new people. That's how I met two good friends here. Yet, I have lived here since January and have just met my neighbors because they are never outside.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 42,826 times
That's awesome. We look forward to moving there. Our house is almost done. That's really great Lennar does that. One more thing to look forward to and 40 isn't a bad thing!!! That just makes you one year wiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland