Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times

Advertisements

I live in Laurel, MD. I work in Columbia. My husband works in Gaithersburg. I grew up in Rockville/Gaithersburg and I would *highly* recommend Gaithersburg or Olney over Columbia. Better schools, more restaurants, more shops, shorter commute. My husband takes back roads to work everyday and on average it takes an hour and it is a 20mi drive. Even driving there with NO traffic it is a 35-40min drive. I would also suggest areas further NW such as Germantown, Clarksburg, and Urbana. These areas are slightly less congested, but still offer the same amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM

52 posts, read 215,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
What? That's a COLOSSAL waste of time! That will take over an hour and is close to 40 miles.
Maybe. I've never done that commute before, so you may be right that there are better routes. From what I've heard from others who have done the commute, no matter what roads you take (either highway or the backroads), it's still going to take you roughly the same amount of time. The small roads may be more direct or shorter, but the traffic lights and the one/two lane roads are easily backed up in the morning.

I commute the other way right now (Gaithersburg to Baltimore) in the morning, and when I take the back roads home, it's really not that much better than taking the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
Definitely one of the BEST route between Gaithersburg/Columbia. Time won't be on your side (about 45 minutes) but mile-wise, it's the way to go at only 27 miles (saving gas & wear on the car)! You also can take MD-124 from Gaithersburg which will give you the same time and miles.
Is it really? I took MD-124 before to get to work, and after getting stuck in traffic at 355/MD-124, I swore not to take that again. I think it took me 20 minutes to go a mile or something. It was probably just a bad day...

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,869 times
buy this and be at work in 10 mins 22200 Goshen School Rd, Gaithersburg, MD 20882 - Zillow

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/92...54515488_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/93...37079653_zpid/

Last edited by tonyc; 08-20-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM

789 posts, read 2,564,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD999 View Post
I live in Laurel, MD. I work in Columbia. My husband works in Gaithersburg. I grew up in Rockville/Gaithersburg and I would *highly* recommend Gaithersburg or Olney over Columbia. Better schools, more restaurants, more shops, shorter commute. My husband takes back roads to work everyday and on average it takes an hour and it is a 20mi drive. Even driving there with NO traffic it is a 35-40min drive. I would also suggest areas further NW such as Germantown, Clarksburg, and Urbana. These areas are slightly less congested, but still offer the same amenities.
don't forget Damascus...

Old 08-21-2009, 10:11 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
I did this commute both ways over the last 7-8 years (lived in Columbia, then Potomac, and now Ellicott City. Worked in G-burg when living in Columbia, and worked by BWI when living in Potomac).

Depending on where in Columbia you're living - you can take Brighton Dam (32 and 108) to New Hampshire Ave, then take a left on Zion rd. That will take you over to the Muncaster /108 area.

Unfortunately - Columbia to G/burg is more with the traffic. Its about 45-60 min.... What you will need to try and avoid is the School buses in the mornings.. so be sure to leave before that in the morning.

I actually enjoyed the drive - its peaceful and relaxing since you're not trying to jockey position with others on a multi-laned road. At least not until you get into the Shady Grove area....

By all means, avoid 95/495/29 unless you're traveling way off hours (i.e. 5am)

In terms of taking up residence. I personally would take Olney over Gaithersburg. And Columbia would only be considered if its River Hill/Clarksville (higher priced though). But I also prefer more of a suburbia. Places like Kentlands, Lakelands, King Farm etc are a bit too "fake" for me. And you take those, multiply the size a few times, age it thirty years... you have most of Columbia.

One thing I will say - I'm paying more tax in HoCo than I did in MoCo. WAY MORE.

I don't think you'll see too much difference in terms of crime... each has there good and bad. Obviously, the bigger the area, the more crime you'll have statistically.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 AM

941 posts, read 3,912,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localcall View Post
Maybe. I've never done that commute before, so you may be right that there are better routes. From what I've heard from others who have done the commute, no matter what roads you take (either highway or the backroads), it's still going to take you roughly the same amount of time. The small roads may be more direct or shorter, but the traffic lights and the one/two lane roads are easily backed up in the morning.

I commute the other way right now (Gaithersburg to Baltimore) in the morning, and when I take the back roads home, it's really not that much better than taking the highway.

Is it really? I took MD-124 before to get to work, and after getting stuck in traffic at 355/MD-124, I swore not to take that again. I think it took me 20 minutes to go a mile or something. It was probably just a bad day...
Either way, time won't be on your side...but taking the back roads will save in MILES, not time. Less wear on the car, etc.

I worked in Columbia till 2005, and I left around 6:30 to work at 7:30. As long as school buses aren't around, the commute is a breeze. If it's a 9-5 grind, then I agree it'd probably be longer/backed up.

Ouch. Every G'burg resident knows the the MD-355 and MD-124 interchange is a horrible bottleneck! But it's the only way to get on I-270 if you're living around Montgomery Village. They need to do something about it. I don't (I left earlier as well), so the MD-124 route isn't horrible to me.

Let's see how the ICC works in a few years... But FINALLY, a connection to I-95 in MoCo, even if it's only the north route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland