Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:49 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC almost my entire life. I do like it here, although I'm beginning to think northern Virginia may be preferable. Some years ago, I had a chance to move to California but decided to stay in Maryland. That's how much I like this region. I'm an east coast type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 28,809 times
Been here 18 years and still don't care for Maryland. I'm leaving first chance I get. Drivers are rude, people fake like they are friendly but reality they are just noisey. I don't see culture. Every one has their own "Clicks". Many only care about if you own or rent your home, what kind of car you drive, etc., etc. No Diversity. I don't see Blacks and Whites mixing together. The neighborhoods are all so divided. Nope, not where I want to stay the rest of my days to watch the grass grow.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 AM

54 posts, read 114,249 times
Default RE: Moving to MD

I've spent my teenage years in maryland, moved away, then moved back. I will say, that I wish I hadn't. There is so much negativity here that it really brings you down. Maryland has some beautiful places and lots to see and do, if you willing to drive a bit everytime but the people are rude and look down at each other.

Yes DC is close and has a lot to see but I've seen alot of it on field trips. Usually after going to the musuems once or twice, that's about it. You can take a trip into DC and see it all.

I live in southern maryland so I really don't know very much about the rest of maryland but by what I have read and seen, many people in Montgomery county think they are god's gift to the world (this does not include everyone up there). Baltimore has alot of crime, alot of drugs and not so good areas. Western Maryland is nice but there are not alot of jobs over there. Eastern shore - I've never been. I know most people have been to ocean city but i've heard it really is not that great. Beaches of NC are probably better and cleaner. Reverse racism is an issue.

As to southern maryland, it is a little more country here but I will say when my mom moved my brother and I here when we were kids, it was a rude awakening. The children are snots because their parents are. We had a very hard time adjusting and making friends. That might be something you may want to consider. The people are more rude here and not very neighborly friendly. Right now and for the past 8 years, I have lived on a farm (not a very big farm- about 70 acres) that is surrounded by neighborhoods. I couldn't tell what our neighbors names are. Nobody talks to one another here. People tend to keep to themselves more. This does not mean everywhere is like that but you'll have look around for it.

Traffic- it is not fun. The problem is that we have alot of transplants here and everyone has their own way of driving- usually not in a good way. There was some legislative attempts to change the legal driving age to 18 because we have so many teenagers being killed on the roads. They are too inexperienced and there are too many drivers on the roads to make good decisions. Parts of Maryland have very curving roads.

Visit Maryland first and get a feel for it to see if it is for you. It is not for everyone.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Just as a warning, a lot of people get turned off by the high taxes/cost of living, supposedly "high crime" in some areas, and liberal rule. Other than New Jersey (the so-called "armpit of America"), I've never seen a state draw a greater number of negative opinions than positive ones. Just look at any other thread to see what I mean.
I've noticed that too...except that I do know people who are quite proud to be from New Jersey. But perception-wise, NJ is bad. I always thought of MD as positive, but most Maryland posters don't seem to portray it as such at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Glad someone said it. Yes, it's diverse, but it's also a very polarizing place. Racially and economically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally Honest View Post
Reverse Racism (The very first thing I noticed in Maryland when I moved here was how racist black people are toward whites... and at the same time white people appear to accept that somehow as a "payback" for the mistreatment of blacks in the past! P.S. This is from my personal experience so don't go accusing me as a racist!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongonem View Post
No Diversity. I don't see Blacks and Whites mixing together. The neighborhoods are all so divided. Nope, not where I want to stay the rest of my days to watch the grass grow.
Racial tensions.

The last three posts. I saw the 2nd poster is living in Baltimore. Not sure where the other two posters are living in Maryland.

Anyways, would you say this defines Maryland, or moreso Baltimore? For whatever reason, I imagine Baltimore would be like that. I could see perhaps parts of Prince George County as well.

How about places like College Park/Silver Spring/Takoma Park?

Just asking, because these parts of Maryland interest me. I see they all have a healthy dose of all races mixed in. I believe I read that Silver Spring is one of the more mixed racially, maybe even the most racially mixed east of California.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyways, would you say this defines Maryland, or moreso Baltimore? For whatever reason, I imagine Baltimore would be like that. I could see perhaps parts of Prince George County as well.
I'm white, and I have been the subject of no "reverse" racism in Baltimore in three years of living here, 2 of them living in mixed neighborhoods, commuting through black neighborhood on public transportation and my bike.

Some folks are going to call me a pollyana or even worse, a liar, but I just haven't experienced it. What I have experienced is my white peers (most of them Cantonites) telling tales of their suffering incidents of "reverse" racism on a daily basis.

In the year I lived in Hampden, which is nearly all-white, I heard the N word more often than anywhere else I've lived to and witnessed two racially-motivated fights (and had to call the cops).

This is simply my experience. I won't respond to anybody who questions it because I'm just reporting the facts and my observations.

This is still a fairly segregated city and it is because of racism and illogical fears. But there are more mixed neighborhoods than people think.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
The Baltimore area is much more segregated than the DC area. I grew up in Montgomery county and it is very diverse. I have friends from all ethnicities, and most groups of friends that i see are also very mixed. My gf grew up in the Baltimore area and I have spent a lot of time in that area as well and while there are exceptions, i definitely see more segregation. Though it is slowly changing.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM

19 posts, read 86,276 times
I like being near two big cities that are totally the opposite of each other. Also, the beach and mountains are accessible within hours of a car drive. The part of Maryland I live in has great schools and job opportunities. The area is racially and culturally diverse and has delicious local seafood.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 77,354 times
Quote:
-mass transit
Where? You mean Baltimore which has ONE light rail line going north south (and not connecting much outside the city) and ONE metro line that shoots out in a seemingly random direction to the NW? The stops, unless you live near one of them it makes more sense to commute which defeats the purpose of mass trans. Aside from bus service (which puts you on the road still and takes a great deal of time, not to mention wait time and most stops aren't even covered) what do people on the Eastern half of Baltimore have? East of Towson, North of Dundalk, Nothing? Coming from the southwest? Nothing. Coming from Pasadena or Severn or Annapolis? How about Bel-Air or Catonsville? Might as well stay in your car since you're already driving.

D.C. Ok, there are a couple lines which go into the city, but nothing that connects suburbs with other suburbs. Still, most people will have to get into their cars to drive to a station. If, say, you're coming from Annapolis you might as well stay in your car since you're already more than halfway to downtown along route 50 before you get to a station. Want to take the MARC train? Good luck staying in a hotel or taking a taxi back home if you miss the last train out of town, the cost is absurd regardless.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,729 times
'reverse racism'... LOL! in other words, a large number of blacks hate whites.... AND target them for crimes.... CHECK.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:21 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've lived in the Maryland suburbs of DC almost my entire life. I do like it here, although I'm beginning to think northern Virginia may be preferable. Some years ago, I had a chance to move to California but decided to stay in Maryland. That's how much I like this region. I'm an east coast type.
Don't think that way if it is due to what Maryland Haters on this website have stated about Maryland....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland