Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:52 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,412 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relocating from Minnesota to Salem, MA (for a job at the university). Can you tell me if it is a friendly community (welcoming to newcomers)? Also, is it better to live in Salem or a surrounding area (like Peabody or others) and commute? The distance looks short, but how long would such a commute take and what methods of transportation are available (train, subway, bus)? Is commuting by car an option out there?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 08:35 PM

150 posts, read 706,347 times
Salem is a great town.My family is from surrounding towns (Gloucester,Peabody) and commuting is definately not a problem.By car you're talking no more than 20-30 min. from neighboring towns.Peabody is more like 10 min.The train is also an option depending on your distance of travel.Best of luck to you!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Yes Salem is nice, a nice quaint, old New England town. It has the old witch trials rep. but they play it up big time for tourists. Actually a very nice place during the summer months to watch the boats.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Thinking about relocating from Minnesota to Salem, MA (for a job at the university). Can you tell me if it is a friendly community (welcoming to newcomers)? Also, is it better to live in Salem or a surrounding area (like Peabody or others) and commute? The distance looks short, but how long would such a commute take and what methods of transportation are available (train, subway, bus)? Is commuting by car an option out there?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

It is Halloween, be ware of the witches in Salem.
Check out Wikipedia to get more town info.

Directions to Salem
Public Transportation

By Bus from Boston - From Haymarket, take #450 or #455 to downtown Salem.
By Commuter Rail (T) from BostonFrom North Station, take Ipswich or Rockport trains. At Salem station, exit up stairs to Washington St.
MBTAbus and rail information, call 1-800-392-6100
Salem/Boston Ferry - June 15 - November 1, 2006.

Driving (The direction says 30 minutes... but only on good days/ non rush hours)

From Boston - Rt. 1N (Approx. 30 min. drive) - U.S. Rt. 1N, to Rt. 128 N, to exit 26 (Lowell St.) or Exit 25A (Rt. 114 E,). When you enter Salem, look for signs to Salem Visitor Center. The Museum is located on Rt. 1A N, across from the Salem Common, on route to the Salem Visitor Center.

From Boston - I95 N (Approx. 30 min. drive) - Follow I95 N/128 N, to Exit 45 (Rt. 128 N exclusively), to exit 26 (Lowell St.) or Exit 25A (Rt. 114 E). When you enter Salem look for signs to Salem Visitor Center. The Museum is located on Rt. 1A N, across from the Salem Common, on route to the Salem Visitor Center.

From Boston - I93 N (Approx. 30 min. drive) - Follow I93 N to Exit 37A (I95 N). Follow directions for I95 N above.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Default what about cost of living?

I've heard the cost of living on the east coast is awful. How awful? Is owning your own home (a single family, detached home with a yard) unheard of? How are taxes?

Thanks again.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
I've heard the cost of living on the east coast is awful. How awful? Is owning your own home (a single family, detached home with a yard) unheard of? How are taxes?

Thanks again.
Nice homes seem to begin around $450K and up in around the Boston area and and 40 mile radius. The prices have come down a bit so there are some fed up sellers who are selling for less than < $375K. A good mortgage calculator will tell you roughly what you can afford.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:36 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,157 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
Just do a google search for "cost of living calculator". You can compare between any two cities you are interested in. I do not think the moderators would appreciate if I include some but not all sites with these calculators. There are literally hundreds of them.

It is all a relative thing. Cost of living could be high but income is higher in the northeast also. The key is to make more money than others in the area. or somehow NOT let uncle sam know how much you make.

Old 10-15-2006, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,563 times
Is this the Salem as in Salem's Lot ?

If so why did the name get shortened from Jeru'salem' ?

My name is Sean, I live in England, in a spa town. I would love to re locate to the US. We admire you guys, you love your country, you're openly patriotic, you seem to have such freedome.

I have just seen Bhagdad ER, I was stunned.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 PM

[quote=smarty;126311]Just do a google search for "cost of living calculator". You can compare between any two cities you are interested in. I do not think the moderators would appreciate if I include some but not all sites with these calculators. There are literally hundreds of them.

Thanks. I didn't know about this site, and it sounds like what I've been looking for! I'll check it out as soon as I leave this forum.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlin View Post
Is this the Salem as in Salem's Lot ?

If so why did the name get shortened from Jeru'salem' ?

My name is Sean, I live in England, in a spa town. I would love to re locate to the US. We admire you guys, you love your country, you're openly patriotic, you seem to have such freedome.

I have just seen Bhagdad ER, I was stunned.
This is Salem and as in the City of Salem in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts