Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:48 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npagem View Post
We are both asians and have been prepared for discriminations no matter where we live, so no matter which state we live is okay. We are relocating from KY(nice here but ...), nurses and would like to live in Boston, Newton and or Brookline. Plan to rent first, do you have any advice on good realtors we can contact. Ms steinberg ,Ms Higgins and remax have contact with us We are still applying for a job, rent first for a year. I sincerely appreciate any advice you can give.Thanks
You can try UMass Medical Center in Worcester also. It is the biggest hospital (level 1 facility?) outside of Boston. Living expense is much lower.

Also, Worcester has a very big Asian (or Vietnamese) community. Lowell has the biggest Indian community. Qunicy and Malden has the highest Chinese community outside of Boston. Lawrence has a big Cambodian community.

If you want to rent in Boston, look at Craiglists.

Btw. There are many Filipino nurses in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 PM

12 posts, read 37,029 times
Default Other thoughts

I have been down to Florida many of times, and found the people there to be very friendly, and that is not to say there are not bad apples. I guess it must depend on how you see things and where you want to live. I “think” people in the south enjoy life more. It is much easier to meet people in the south if you are single. In Florida, if you are walking down the street, other people will wave to you and say hello. When I step on a cross walk they will stop in most cases and not try to run me over. I would like to ask you please try an experiment, when walking down the street in Mass see how many people wave to you or say hello. I am not trying to say that everyone in Massachusetts is this way, heck I have lived here for good part of my life. I think there is something to southern hospitality and I wish we had more of it up here, it would do us good.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Depends on what part of Florida you are in. It's a very big state. A lot of it is very fast-paced. In some places, if you step off the curb, they aim for you.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,686 times
I miss Leominster sooo much. I am relocating back home this year. Finally.... I have traveled the world, I work as a corporate travel counselor and love it.... But I miss home. Soon I will be there, I had a great childhood and grew up in a mid size city so thats what I want for my kids!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM

33 posts, read 252,040 times
Default compare mass people to PA people if you can....

I love this post....i lived in mass all my life....we may have to relocate....

I agree with the following:

it is a rat race, everyone is working all the time, over-drive, no time to even say hi to one-another....

Now, my family will have a chance to move to NJ or PA. I think i may choose PA just because NJ sounds to be very similar to Mass if not worse. What do you guys/girls think?

Do you think PA will be much slower-paced? by the way, i will only live in the suburbs, not the city, etc. Do you think Pa will be friendlier? cheaper?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 AM

44 posts, read 196,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigohope View Post
I love this post....i lived in mass all my life....we may have to relocate....

I agree with the following:

it is a rat race, everyone is working all the time, over-drive, no time to even say hi to one-another....

Now, my family will have a chance to move to NJ or PA. I think i may choose PA just because NJ sounds to be very similar to Mass if not worse. What do you guys/girls think?

Do you think PA will be much slower-paced? by the way, i will only live in the suburbs, not the city, etc. Do you think Pa will be friendlier? cheaper?

Thanks
I have been to PA on the outskirts of Pitt. I loved it while I was there but it is a whole diffrent pace of life. It seems so slow and laid back which was nice but if i had to live there it would be an adjustment for me coming from mass. it was beautiful with lots of greenary all around. The people were very nice.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:16 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
"NJ sounds to be very similar to Mass if not worse"

You're right. I'd go to Pennsylvania.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
I think it depends on where in the state you are. Some people would argue that Western MA is cheaper than certain parts of PA.

Rat race is everywhere. The world is getting smaller. I am not sure you can avoid it. As always, the grass is greener on the other side.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:10 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
To those of you complaining about Massachusetts and its inhabitants should try living on Long Island. There's a reason it's known as the a$$hole of Manhattan and is shaped like a turd.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 50,304 times
I miss Mass just reading the posts! Moving back by summer and cannot wait. Being from So. Cal I know that many people are looking for a slower, nicer way of life. I know that New England is beautiful and that brings about inspiration, creativity and peacefullness. No place will bring perfection in every area of life, but thank you to all who reminded me today of all the wonderful things in MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts