Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,205,718 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what there is to do in Acton,Ma? I know prices are a bit less there than other cities and schools are good, but what goes on there for fun and how long does it take to get to Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,925 times
High School Football.... they had not loss a game in 7 years (until this year when they switch division).

Just Zip down Route 2. During non-commute hours, you can be in Boston within 40 minutes.

Discovery Museum for young kids.
Bowling...
Lots of little shops

A typical suburban town.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
High School Football.... they had not loss a game in 7 years (until this year when they switch division).

Just Zip down Route 2. During non-commute hours, you can be in Boston within 40 minutes.

Discovery Museum for young kids.
Bowling...
Lots of little shops

A typical suburban town.
Just curious, how long have you lived in Massachusetts? What areas do you prefer near Boston and why? Thanks for responding to my inquiries!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Just curious, how long have you lived in Massachusetts? What areas do you prefer near Boston and why? Thanks for responding to my inquiries!
I've lived in MA 25+ years.

As to what area I would prefer.... I love Wellesley. Not only because they are nice. Believe it or not, Wellesley is the most fiscal conservative town. They have one of the lowest tax rate and overall tax bill for the price. One of the best schools. Tons of nice restaurants. Close to highways and Boston. Nice downtown area. Newton Wellesley hospital right around the corner. Unfortunately, they are always out of my reach. Their houses start around $600K nowadays.

If you love the water, then there are a lot of choices. From Quincy to Duxbury, Newburyport, Salem, ... are all nice towns.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I've lived in MA 25+ years.

As to what area I would prefer.... I love Wellesley. Not only because they are nice. Believe it or not, Wellesley is the most fiscal conservative town. They have one of the lowest tax rate and overall tax bill for the price. One of the best schools. Tons of nice restaurants. Close to highways and Boston. Nice downtown area. Newton Wellesley hospital right around the corner. Unfortunately, they are always out of my reach. Their houses start around $600K nowadays.

If you love the water, then there are a lot of choices. From Quincy to Duxbury, Newburyport, Salem, ... are all nice towns.
Is Wellesley really that different from some of the nicer parts of Newton? I wouldn't mind Wellesley but rentals are few and far between which is what we would do at least for the first year in Newton. Would Newton Centre or Chestnut Hill be comparable?

Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Is Wellesley really that different from some of the nicer parts of Newton? I wouldn't mind Wellesley but rentals are few and far between which is what we would do at least for the first year in Newton. Would Newton Centre or Chestnut Hill be comparable?
Good question. In terms of comparing pockets of neighborhood, it is probably not very different. However, Wellesley is a smaller town. The feeling is different. Like buying a car, it is an emotional thing. There is no right or wrong. The grass is probably greener on the other side. Wellesley is one of those town that everyone loves. The price just keep go up up and up. Much faster than many other towns. However, as you said, very little rental.

When buying a house, one strategy is to buy the lowest price property you can afford in the most expensive town. The house value always go up faster and drops less. Much easier to sell even in rough times. The house I looked at 10 years ago in Weston went up more than 3X of the price sold (it was gone in half a day). Also, remember you make money when purchasing the house not selling. If you buy high, you can be stuck for years to come.

As I said, there are many beautiful towns North and South of the city. In the old days the commute from North and South (via Rt93) was harder. After the big dig, it is a little better. If people like oceans, definitely look at towns North and South of the city.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Good question. In terms of comparing pockets of neighborhood, it is probably not very different. However, Wellesley is a smaller town. The feeling is different. Like buying a car, it is an emotional thing. There is no right or wrong. The grass is probably greener on the other side. Wellesley is one of those town that everyone loves. The price just keep go up up and up. Much faster than many other towns. However, as you said, very little rental.

When buying a house, one strategy is to buy the lowest price property you can afford in the most expensive town. The house value always go up faster and drops less. Much easier to sell even in rough times. The house I looked at 10 years ago in Weston went up more than 3X of the price sold (it was gone in half a day). Also, remember you make money when purchasing the house not selling. If you buy high, you can be stuck for years to come.

As I said, there are many beautiful towns North and South of the city. In the old days the commute from North and South (via Rt93) was harder. After the big dig, it is a little better. If people like oceans, definitely look at towns North and South of the city.
Same here. A house we bought in 98 for $680K now sells for $1.4 mill. Unfortunetly, we did not partake of the equity do to personal issues. Thanks again for your take on the communities mentioned.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Same here. A house we bought in 98 for $680K now sells for $1.4 mill. Unfortunetly, we did not partake of the equity do to personal issues. Thanks again for your take on the communities mentioned.
I know what you mean A positive attitude helps.

As the days around here get shorter and shorter (soon sun will set at 3pm ), I just keep reminding myself the sun will be out tomorrow... its only a day away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts