Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 1,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Your post made me laugh. I stated the same thing a few posts back.
May I ask you....the Roman Gardens....was that the one on the Southern Artery? My husband and I used to go to an Italian restaurant that we loved andhave never ben able to think of the name of it except ------- Gardens.
If that is the name.thank you!!!!!!!!! Loved that place and it closed abruptly.
I am dating myself to when I was a kid but remember Carrolls? It was the equivalent of a good McDonald's before there was a McDonalds.

Are you from QUincy?
I just joined this forum because I pulled the name Roman Gardens out of nowhere in my head while thinking about youth and pizza. The search brought this up. My father was from Quincy, and his mother still lived there. My whole youth weekends was south Boston (Mothers mother) and Quincy. And every pizza place in between and everywhere else. Sometimes we'd have a pizza and a pitcher for parents at one place, and head off to the next one. Another pie and another pitcher.. Santapios, Reginas, Roman Garden, There was a place in Revere we went to also.. Jukebox maybe, or was that Quincy? Southern Artery.. So many pizzas.. Beach, seawall..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 09:33 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,971,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGoingGal View Post
Does anyone remember Adventure Car Hop? It used to be on Rt1 in Saugus. They had car hops. I remember them selling the special served on a 45 rpm record. I could be wrong but I think that the DJ Arnie (Woo Woo) Ginsberg owned the restaurant. Fun memory of my teenage years.

OceanGoingGal
Well rattle my brain.
Use to listen to him on the radio, and once in awhile he would broadcast from the adventure car hop.
Went there a couple of times to see him, and as I recall, it was quite a drive from Brockton.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,971,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
That a fun thread!

Does anyone remember Pieroni's in Boston? It was near Jordan Marsh, I think on Washington St. We liked their hot turkey sandwiches.

We used to like. . . not sure of the exact name but it might have been Rob Lee's Dynasty, for Chinese food--in Chinatown near the Wash. St shopping.

We would go on drives on the weekend, and I fondly remember having lunch at the White Rabbit, a tearoom I think in Wareham. They always served buttered toast instead of plain bread, a holdover from their early life as a tea-room. I think there is still a retaurant on the site, but it closed years ago. The Toll House is where our family went for special celebrations--that or Hugo's lighthouse (Cohasset?) or Jimmy's Harborside.

My sister and I fondly remember the pub-style restaurant on an upper floor in Filene's--incredible Bloody Marys with celery used as the stirrer.

I went to high school in Brockton, and there was a wonderful diner near the Avon line, the other side of the street from the drive-in. But I don't remember the name.
This is odd, I worked at that diner, but can't remember the name, but I remember the owners name. It was John Putiarno, and I remember the car he drove.
It was a black 58 Continental convertible.
I really can't remember if the diner shared his name, it could have.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:02 AM

8 posts, read 6,228 times
The restaurant was Wilson Lee's Dynasty in Chinatown on Edinborough St.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwk714 View Post
The Half Shell just a few blocks west of Copley Sq. on Boylston. Filthy's (!!) in Kenmore Sq. much beloved by residents of Myles Standish Hall. And on Newbury Street either between Arlington and Berkeley or betw Berkeley and Clarendon was a GREAT restaurant called .....something Tea Room-if they knew then what the rent is now they'd DIE TWICE and buy every building on the block.

How about Clem's Clams in Watertown?? The only place open in the early '70s til.....like 4 AM or so !!

Of course, I'm from the day in Boston when EVERY tv channel "quit" at 1AMish-nothing but white noise!
It was called the English Tea Room, great salad dressings and rolls!!

Old 10-29-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
is the I think it was called the bay tower at the top of a building in Boston stil around. I went there many years ago for lunch.
It was located at 60 State St., th 33rd floor. It closed awhile ago.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 155 times
I’m trying to recall the name of a restaurant I used to like in Hadley in the 1972-1976 time-frame. It was on Route 9 past the Amherst line heading towards Northhampton in Hadley. Was fairly close to the Howard Johnson’s which was on the opposite side of Route 9. It was an upscale restaurant in a stand alone building and i think it had the word “Lion” in the name but not sure about that. If anyone recalls I’d appreciate hearing suggestions. My folks would take me and my girlfriend there for dinner when they came to visit me at UMass.

Some other good restaurants in the are in that time frame were Fitzwilly’s, Wiggins Tavern, the Log Cabin on Mt Tom in Holyoke, Kalihi Kai, The Rusty Scupper.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:47 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Rusty Scupper. Any Friendly's, Lum's. use to be a place on 140 on the Wrentham -Franklin line that had the best inexpensive steak dinner you ever had!

Old 11-12-2023, 06:28 AM

23,542 posts, read 18,687,760 times
The Red Wing diner is up for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts