Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington?
Belmont 37 48.05%
Lexington 40 51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2016, 11:04 PM

16,691 posts, read 29,511,067 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington? Vote above after considering the items listed below.

Please consider most, if not all, of the items below when voting:

1. Quality of life/Desirability.

2. Location.

3. Beauty.

4. Prestige.

5. Affluence/Wealth.

6. Public Schools.

7. "Glamour Factor."

8. To Work as a Town Employee.

9. Amenities.

10. Transit.

11. Image.

*After voting, please give your reasoning and/or an explanation below.

Thanks!

Last edited by aries4118; 06-08-2016 at 11:17 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Which do you prefer: Belmont or Lexington? Vote above after considering the items listed below.

1. Quality of life/Desirability. Belmont

2. Location. Belmont

3. Beauty. Lexington

4. Prestige. Lexington

5. Affluence/Wealth. Tie

6. Public Schools. Tie

7. "Glamour Factor." Lexington

8. To Work as a Town Employee. IDK

9. Amenities. Belmont

10. Transit. Belmont

11. Image. Lexington

Thanks!
Personally I prefer Belmont because it is closer to Cambridge and more urban. Belmont would be a good choice if you prefer a more urban environment while Lexington if you want a more suburban environment. While Belmont Hills beats anything that Lexington has to offer in "prestige" a large portion of Belmont looks identical to neighboring Watertown. Belmont seems to be separated between two towns, the Upper Class Belmont Hills and the middle class section near Watertown. Lexington feels more homogeneous. Honestly I think Prestige, "Glamour Factor", and Image different words to describe the same thing.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Much is personal preference. In general I think Lexington ticks more boxes.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
I haven't lived in either one, but we just moved and seriously did look at both Belmont and Lexington. I did like both, but I give the nod to Belmont because it has the train. I think it actually has a couple train stops. So the access to Boston is MUCH better than from Lexington, which has no train stop.

Belmont overall seems to have more walkability.

I really liked Lexington's town center, but if you're not near the town center, you may as well buy in Bedford and get more for your money.

As far as prestige and affluence, they seem about the same to me.

Lexington has the whole cult mentality with their schools, but my impression is that Belmont schools are just as well thought of and just as good.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:07 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Voted for Lexington. Although Belmont has more interesting small businesses like Ohlin donuts and Eastern Lamejun Bakers. I just find Lexington overall more aesthetically pleasing than Belmont.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Ohlin Donuts had a bad fire recently. Not a good situation.

I'm biased, but I like Belmont more. Being able to get to Cambridge and Boston simply and easily was pretty awesome for quality of life.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:13 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Having lived in the Greater Boston Area (Cambridge, Brookline, Waltham, Andover) I voted for Belmont as it is more urban than Lexington. Also better public transportation.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM

649 posts, read 816,229 times
I vote Lexington. Belmont is underfunded and lacks amenities for its price point. The only thing it does have over Lexington is density/proximity/transit. I want out of the density not to pay lots of money to be on a leafy block one street away from it. I would suffer the headache of a Lexington commute over buying in Belmont.

OTOH if I had a teenager I'd want them in Belmont because there is better independent access to "stuff" and less suburban boredom that leads to drugs and/or being hyperfocused on HS sports because there's nothing else to do.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Personally I prefer Belmont because it is closer to Cambridge and more urban. Belmont would be a good choice if you prefer a more urban environment while Lexington if you want a more suburban environment. While Belmont Hills beats anything that Lexington has to offer in "prestige" a large portion of Belmont looks identical to neighboring Watertown. Belmont seems to be separated between two towns, the Upper Class Belmont Hills and the middle class section near Watertown. Lexington feels more homogeneous. Honestly I think Prestige, "Glamour Factor", and Image different words to describe the same thing.

Thank you for the reasoning.

Yes--prestige, image, and "glamour factor" are all synonyms, but they often mean different things to different people. This is why I listed them all.

You think large parts of Bellie look identical to Watertown???

Old 06-09-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

1. Quality of life/Desirability.

2. Location.

3. Beauty.

4. Prestige.

5. Affluence/Wealth.

6. Public Schools.

7. "Glamour Factor."

8. To Work as a Town Employee.

9. Amenities.

10. Transit.

11. Image.

Thanks!

Also consider...

12. Reputation (of town/citizenry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts