Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 PM

880 posts, read 820,556 times

Advertisements

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN1BI1DM

MA ticks all the boxes except for affordable housing. I could see a large campus 10-15 miles from downtown Boston to meet the 45 minute to airport criteria.

MA should put aside its NIMBYsm and aggressively lobby for these high paying jobs..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:08 PM

39 posts, read 46,573 times
Amazon already has an office in Massachusetts. No point in throwing money at the rich. Use that money to fix the MBTA or build more affordable housing. Should all corporations get a tax incentive to stay here or move here? Hell no.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:16 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
The affordability will kill any such bid. Amazon wants cheaper than Seattle, which might cross MA off that list.

However, part of attracting top talent involves setting up shop in an attractive area to live in.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyz View Post
Amazon already has an office in Massachusetts. No point in throwing money at the rich. Use that money to fix the MBTA or build more affordable housing. Should all corporations get a tax incentive to stay here or move here? Hell no.
tens of thousands of software engineers have the potential to build MA into a real silicon valley over the next 15 years. As engineers slowly quit Amazon and get funding for new ideas, they will create new companies here. I think its worth giving away the farm for this potential.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
So we want boston to be the next silicon valley?

Old 09-07-2017, 08:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 639,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
So we want boston to be the next silicon valley?
Of course you do. The people on this forum who live inside I-495 would sell what's left of their souls for that bump in home equity.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM

349 posts, read 321,341 times
Boston is definitely a strong contender with a unique mix of talented workforce and strong academic institutions. Real estate is also relatively affordable, only slightly more than Seattle and substantially cheaper than San Francisco.

A big complication with Boston is that building out commercial space for 50k headcount would be exceptionally difficult. It would be a comparable in scale to re-developing Kendall Square. Relocating from SF to Boston recently, I was struck by Boston's relatively low urban population density. I don't know if there's the political will to radically re-zone to allow higher density development.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
Of course you do. The people on this forum who live inside I-495 would sell what's left of their souls for that bump in home equity.
such an announcement would cause an instant 5% jump in house prices for any home with a reasonable commute to the HQ before any office is even built. 50,000 high paying workers bidding up houses would cause a 30% jump over the next 5 years.

Good or bad, depending on which side you are on.

I would guess they would rather pick an MA suburb which is currently still affordable but with 45 mins of logan airport.. is there such a suburb?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 PM

652 posts, read 750,740 times
Boston is already one of the top 3-5 biggest technology economies in the nation. A good technologist in Boston does not go unemployed right now. Amazon also has a reputation as kind of a bad place to work (long hours, burnouts, salaries cap out below industry standards). Anecdotally I hear a lot of people go there, work there for a couple years to get it on their resume, and then go join a startup for better salary and quality of life. I wouldn't leave my job to go work there.

Also, as mentioned, I don't think they could build a campus in a good enough location. If it was the 90's I could see them going to Burlington/Bedford or Lowell (see the ex Sun or Wang campuses up there), but I don't think a company that can pick and choose would locate outside the urban area/public transit in today's day and age. It's not attractive to the young workforce.

My bet is that they head to the Raleigh-Durham Triangle.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:43 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
We have no inventory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts