Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 34,222 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking to move to the area. I've been there a handful of times and loved it. I also lived in Boston for about 10 years. A few years ago, I moved across the country after doing very little research, and it hasn't worked out so well, so I'm trying to be more thoughtful this time. Obviously, it's all relative, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on the stuff that sucks - big and small.

So, what's a drag about Northampton and the surrounding area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:19 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Lived here since 1980. Cons: ocean is too far away! Winter a bit too long and snowy, summer too humid at times. Otherwise, wonderful.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Few jobs.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:00 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,889 times
Few professional class jobs and some moderately overpriced very humble homes because Northampton used to be blue-collar 'Hamp.' If you're right of center, you'll find very little political diversity - it's truly a whackjob leftwing extremist bubble. I like this despite the realism of my Gateway City upbringing getting in the way of truly embracing it, but MAGA snowflakes from "Real America" would not find it to be a safe space and might want to run someone over with their Hummer. In line with small-town New England patterns, racial and ethnic diversity is not nearly as developed as in a major metropolitan area. Sometimes the downtown feels like a touristy college-town food court.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:00 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Eh I don't find it to be bad but sometimes you do have to take a step back. I have a good friend that loves Burlington vt and it can kinda feel like that. Restaurants I think do well because everyone has to eat but at the same point where are the supermarkets from the downtown area? Bars and restaurants are great for people dining but as a job market it isn't that good unless you can make a fair amount on tips.

I really don't think stores in the area will last that much longer. Online competition adds up. Sure just because things look nice to take a look at that doesn't mean you actually buy them and it certainly doesn't mean long term volume. It can also be said and maybe this might be considered insulting but one could argue this place is for lesbians what ptown is for gay men. Having said that I rather be in Northampton than ptown any day of the week. There's still a good club scene, a good media scene etc.

I still see largely student based though but there's really no startups. Again this goes back to the food and stores I mentioned. If the retailers are just geared towards students there's only so far that goes. Dining is fine but it almost seems like that's all it is but it isn't really something with roots. If I want Vietnamese food am I going to drive to Northampton or go to the X in springfield where I know they are the real deal and have been there 30+ years? The pricing of clubs has led to developments in other areas. Gateway city arts in Holyoke is a great example. People aren't really afraid of urban areas anymore so competition is adding up. If Herbie makes the Paramount in springfield back to what it was that will easily attract a crowd being across from union station drawing not just from Northampton but also Hartford.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 AM

235 posts, read 263,081 times
Interesting that I always hear there are no jobs in the Pioneer Valley. However, homes are being gobbled up (going from for sale to sale pending in days).

Is it really students and retirees sustaining this area?

Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ to MA View Post
Interesting that I always hear there are no jobs in the Pioneer Valley. However, homes are being gobbled up (going from for sale to sale pending in days).

Is it really students and retirees sustaining this area?
There are many well-paying higher education related jobs (though not a whole lot of concentrated white-collar professional sector diversity beyond those, Yankee Candle, and MassMutual Insurance). Besides retirees the Pioneer Valley also attracts more and more priced-out urbanites from NYC and Boston, and a good helping of trust-funded spiritual seekers. It's relatively affordable and more culturally vibrant than most small-town areas so its reputation for high quality of life for low cost of living is appealing to many.

As an additional note to the homes being scooped up quickly, keep in mind that beyond outsiders swooping in, the relative affordability puts present-day home ownership in W Mass within reach of local traditionally middle-class salary earners (e.g. a firefighter married to a social worker), unlike metro Boston where home ownership is becoming for the elite professional class only, aside from those who inherited it or are holdovers from reasonable times.

Last edited by FCMA; 02-09-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Health care is a big employer, along with higher ed, and many folks commute to Springfield for such jobs.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
There are many well-paying higher education related jobs (though not a whole lot of concentrated white-collar professional sector diversity beyond those, Yankee Candle, and MassMutual Insurance). Besides retirees the Pioneer Valley also attracts more and more priced-out urbanites from NYC and Boston, and a good helping of trust-funded spiritual seekers. It's relatively affordable and more culturally vibrant than most small-town areas so its reputation for high quality of life for low cost of living is appealing to many.

As an additional note to the homes being scooped up quickly, keep in mind that beyond outsiders swooping in, the relative affordability puts present-day home ownership in W Mass within reach of local traditionally middle-class salary earners (e.g. a firefighter married to a social worker), unlike metro Boston where home ownership is becoming for the elite professional class only, aside from those who inherited it or are holdovers from reasonable times.
I really don't have to type, FCMA always says exactly what I was going to say--and more! Better stated too.

The majority of the jobs that pay enough to live on are held by those who have the good jobs at the colleges. Higher education is the main industry. The clerical workers at the colleges usually can't afford to live nearby, not unless they're married to someone with a lot of money.

I'd say some more cons of living there are the silly far-beyond-alternative-health (and I believe in some alternative health) practices that claim to heal by using crystals or Himalayan salt, some sort of chanting, or (fill in the blank.) It gets old. It gets annoying. Also, if you are middle class, you are outpriced almost everywhere you go. The shops on Main St are more like boutiques where most people can browse but not buy. They're catering to well off Smith College students, trust babies, and the faculty at the colleges, as well as weekending New Yorkers.

It is also too uber liberal, even for a liberal like myself. The most radical politician would probably be considered too conservative, lol. Another con is that the area does cater to students. That's the reason for all the neat restaurants and shops in the first place. The reason for the cultural events, the nightlife. But if you're older than a college student, you feel old. Wealthy retirees have discovered Northampton and it is starting to cater to them too, I think. That's probably going to help with the age balance.

Yes, the lesbian thing wore thin too, I'll have to admit. I have nothing against them but it did feel as though things were more geared to them than to heterosexuals.

Seems that things will change, as they always have. Someone said that online shopping could present a problem to the cutsie Northampton shops and that people are no longer afraid of cities like Holyoke. I think it would be natural for Holyoke to make a comeback, Springfield also. Then what happens to Hamp?

You'll probably always have the well off college professors and the well off retirees, and the students.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,723,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frameofmind View Post
I'm thinking to move to the area. I've been there a handful of times and loved it. I also lived in Boston for about 10 years. A few years ago, I moved across the country after doing very little research, and it hasn't worked out so well, so I'm trying to be more thoughtful this time. Obviously, it's all relative, but I'd still like to hear your opinions on the stuff that sucks - big and small.

So, what's a drag about Northampton and the surrounding area?
Where across the country did you move to? I went to School in Amherst but always enjoyed Northampton. The biggest issue I can recall was lack of jobs and a fairly high cost of living. It is a very liberal city so if that isn't your cup of tea you may not like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts