Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 05:04 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
66k is the beginning salary the poster said. They're going to have a beginning salary at 40. Presumably that is without details, etc as well.

What is the wife earning? I was one of two kids. My mother was always working back in the 60s-80s. What is this expectation to be able to survive on one salary junk?

Who said the are married with two kids? I don't know a heck of a lot of people around Boston, including those I grew up with, that went on to have two kids. Kids are really expensive. Many had one or none.

Heck. I know plenty of 30 and 40 somethings, many well educated and solidly employed, that would love to earn 66k in the Boston area.
66k doesn't sound that bad to me, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 05:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Citing basically the only city with a more unhealthy and distorted housing market (SF) than Boston isn't really a great defense.
Defense? For what?

There’s this notion that Boston is near some fundamental limit of unaffordable housing and the whole thing will come crashing down. SF shows that it’s probably not the case. There’s lots of room for even more craziness if we just sort of let it happen.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
My neighborhood has gone mad. There are 2bdrm condos selling for $.5mil people are eating them up. Great for me. Terrible for the demographic it brings in. I know some people enjoy the sterile environment of "professionals" but I would rather some city charm, while I have a city zipcode.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
66k doesn't sound that bad to me, honestly.

It isn't. It's a pretty darn good entry level salary. Actually, most mid career people I know would be happy with that in this region. This board is just ludicrously affluent. I bet most people here would be aghast at the concept of having roommates beyond late 20s.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:07 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
66k is definitely doable. there are huge factors that can tip the scales. Car ownership in Boston is crazy expensive, at a salary of 66k that is a big chunk of expense. a lot of people seem to factor this as as necessity.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Quote:
You could absolutely rent an apartment. And what, a beginner cop is what, 25? 28? They'll be living with roommates like most of us did at that age. Heck, I lived in much lower COL places with decent jobs and a good education and had roommates like everyone else I knew at that age. No biggie.
Having worked in government and my grandfather being a police officer the beginning cop out of the Academy I would argue would be about 50k. Now of course that depends on the community but overall considering everything I would say 50 give or take about five would be starting. Also keep in mind is the Quinn bill which provides a financial incentive for receiving Associates, bachelor's, masters degree. This incentive is supposed to be 20% for each degree. Which broke down to 10% from local and 10% from State. I believe it was governor Patrick that had the state back out of this but in some communities the cities and towns of stepped up and provided that other 10%. I can be financially conservative but all things being said I think the Quinn bill is a good program because it helps police officers become better educated and overall leads to lower civil rights violations. The compounding of the Quinn Bill alongside that of section 12 I believe greatly contributes to a lower crime way in Massachusetts as a whole.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
It isn't. It's a pretty darn good entry level salary. Actually, most mid career people I know would be happy with that in this region. This board is just ludicrously affluent. I bet most people here would be aghast at the concept of having roommates beyond late 20s.
Most of my peers (late 20's) make well under 66k and live pretty comfortably: decent neighborhood, 1 or 2 roommates, walkable to work or right on a train line, Cable/Internet, able to afford heat in winter and AC in summer, go out to eat/drink 1-2 times per week, etc. But no, they don't own cars, no they don't live alone, no not in the North End or Back Bay, no fine dining. $66k is only a problem for the entitled or affluent (so yeah 90% of posters here).

Are cops not supposed to live like the plebs they "serve"? I don't see the issue.

Edit: I apply all of this to a salary of $56k as well. It's still pretty good.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 07-13-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 07:21 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
66k is the beginning salary the poster said. They're going to have a beginning salary at 40. Presumably that is without details, etc as well. Please.

What is the wife earning? I was one of two kids. My mother was always working back in the 60s-80s. I didn't know many stay at home moms, and I was in a fairly affluent town (its rich now, but wasn't then). What is this expectation to be able to survive on one salary junk?

Who said the are married with two kids? I don't know a heck of a lot of people around Boston, including those I grew up with, that went on to have two kids. Kids are really expensive. Many had one or none.

Heck. I know plenty of 30 and 40 somethings, many well educated and solidly employed, that would love to earn 66k in the Boston area. To do so at mid 20s (since 66k was the base salary) is really doing pretty darn well!
I was the poster. And $56k was the beginning salary I posted. According to public record, $66k is the median salary in Newton. You know a lot of single cops? They always struck me as the good ol' right boys who get married young. I know that all of my buddies that are cops now have families.

The intention of my post was to point out that, to live a "normal life" as a cop, teacher, etc. in the MetroWest, major sacrifices have to be made. I think the numbers speak for themselves. Now, to your point, I'm sure there are plenty of cops who married up. But, I'm sure there are a ton that didn't.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:23 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
This thread should be a use case on how sh*t spreads in a political forum. How false realities penetrate groups to fit one sides agenda. Take a fact, spin it enough to fit your narrative, and then march on with it as though it's reality.

The starting salary, according to google, is $56k.

The median salary is $66k.

Now in order to drive home a point, posters have continued to decide that $66k is the starting salary. Soon $86k will be the median..

Last edited by mwj119; 07-13-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 AM

17,678 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Regardless, at least 1 roommate is pretty much necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts