Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
NYC has far more of a robust low end of the market than Boston.

It’s a wider range of prices in general with higher high lower lows and more inventory in general.
True here. Boston is either for the very rich or those who are lucky enough for the housing lottery.

You can get a condo in FT Lee NJ for as low as 185k. Yes it takes an hour to get to midtown with the absurd traffic there but your living next to acity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,217,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
True here. Boston is either for the very rich or those who are lucky enough for the housing lottery.

You can get a condo in FT Lee NJ for as low as 185k. Yes it takes an hour to get to midtown with the absurd traffic there but your living next to acity.
How’s the crime in FT Lee? If it’s not too bad I may have to relocate

Edit: to answer my own question I just looked it up on Neighborhood Scout and it’s 72 out of 100 on the safety scale which is actually really good all things considered.

I have a feeling living there would kind of be analogous to living in a place like Braintree here though. Where you’re technically within an hour or so of the city but you end up never really going to the fun parts because they’re such a pain in the ass to get to. Then you want to blow your brains out twice everyday because of how much a pain in the ass the commute too and from work is.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:56 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Re: real estate investment, it’s hardly diversified and the ROI is mainly driven by leverage. Agree with the comment about gnats.

Rentals also drive prices up by further limiting inventory.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:42 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’ve seen some cheaper houses on the Mattapan line but it seems they’re cheap for a reason. Apparently people don’t want to be on the mattpan line. The same style house in East Milton sq is about 100k more. Funny how that works.
Location, location, location.

East Milton is also getting the gentrification price rise runoff from Quincy. It also has always been considered the "starter" neighborhood to get into the rest of Milton. Don't know if that still holds.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
Location, location, location.

East Milton is also getting the gentrification price rise runoff from Quincy. It also has always been considered the "starter" neighborhood to get into the rest of Milton. Don't know if that still holds.
"West Milton"/"Miltapan" is much the same. Both have smaller lots and more density/proximity to urbanized areas and interstates. West Milton has less retail but more two family homes

In high school we had a joking rivalry East Milton, "the E" versus West Milton "Miltapan"

Love that town...

Old 02-14-2020, 07:06 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
Re: real estate investment, it’s hardly diversified and the ROI is mainly driven by leverage. Agree with the comment about gnats.

Rentals also drive prices up by further limiting inventory.
How is investing in real estate not a form of portfolio diversification? It seems to me that adding another category of investment vehicle to your portfolio is the very definition of diversification. Plus, you're telling me the more people who buy rentals, the more the inventory is limited for end users, the higher prices go, the more value the investor's asset has. Again . . . sounds like a great investment vehicle to me!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 AM

349 posts, read 320,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston is turning into NY or SF with these absurd rents
Exactly what I expected to happen. When I moved from SF to Boston 4 years ago, I was shocked at how good a value Cambridge and Boston real estate were. Literally a 2,000 sqft. brownstone in Back Bay circa 2016 for around $2 million. Booming job market, NIMBY owners, and structural unwillingness to invest in public transit. Essentially the same conditions that made SF real estate insane, but Boston was 40-50% cheaper. Nearly every week, someone posts about desperately wanting to buy somewhere convenient to their great job in Boston, but imagines that a house price drop is right around the corner.

I experienced the same feeling looking at Oakland real estate. I decided not to buy because the price went up 25% in one year, then proceeded to completely miss the subsequent tripling in prices. Coming to MA, I saw an opportunity and resolved to avoid the same cognitive mistake. I leveraged as heavily as I possibly could buying up real estate, and it has paid off handsomely. Can't say I've been half as effective in stock picking.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
How is investing in real estate not a form of portfolio diversification? It seems to me that adding another category of investment vehicle to your portfolio is the very definition of diversification. Plus, you're telling me the more people who buy rentals, the more the inventory is limited for end users, the higher prices go, the more value the investor's asset has. Again . . . sounds like a great investment vehicle to me!
What % of assets or % of net worth are real estate holdings for the average real estate investor? It's not diversified because that's a lot of % in one holding. Imagine holding that much Apple stock (ok, one may have done pretty damn well doing that, but you see what I mean.)

Agreed, keep jacking up those prices! Screw the posters who b*tch about high rents and home affordability!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:29 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What % of assets or % of net worth are real estate holdings for the average real estate investor? It's not diversified because that's a lot of % in one holding. Imagine holding that much Apple stock (ok, one may have done pretty damn well doing that, but you see what I mean.)

Agreed, keep jacking up those prices! Screw the posters who ***** about high rents and not being able to afford to buy!
Would someone buying a place to rent lower rents at the expense of higher purchase prices?

Old 02-14-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Would someone buying a place to rent lower rents at the expense of higher purchase prices?
No I'm not advocating that, I'm not Bernie Sanders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts