Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times

Advertisements

No, I'm talking about the trillions of dollars in cash investors are sitting on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:32 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,051,327 times
In the long term (i.e. after the quarantine is loosened or after we have developed a vaccine/treatment) why would biotech and medicine be hit hard by a pandemic? I’d imagine the opposite would be true?

Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Shouldn’t an “economic pain train” thread be about South Coast Rail?

The real estate market took a much bigger hit the the 1990 S&L meltdown than dot.com or the Great Recession. There’s no telling with this one. Telecommuting may lessen the massive demand for living in the nice town close to the office. In the medium term, I don’t see the trend changing where the winners in the global economy create intellectual property and Boston ranks near the top for that.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:24 AM

12,453 posts, read 9,540,640 times
March economic activity data has just been announced and was bad. April's is expected to be significantly worse. There's no denying that the collateral damage to the economy has been big.
  • Consumer and manufacturing reports for March showed the hit to the economy from the coronavirus was deeper in the early weeks of the shutdown than expected.
  • March retail sales fell 8.7%, the most ever in government data, and New York regional manufacturing activity hit an all-time low, declining to a shocking negative 78.2%.
  • “The economy is clearly in ruins here,” said Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/the-...oO_lL2i418yjl0

Old 04-20-2020, 08:04 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
I certainly don’t think Boston will crumble but there’s going to be changes not for the better for sure. Anyone who thinks Boston is going to continue to thrive is kidding themselves.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I certainly don’t think Boston will crumble but there’s going to be changes not for the better for sure. Anyone who thinks Boston is going to continue to thrive is kidding themselves.
Yes, I don't think this is 1929, but the world economy can't absorb a shock of this magnitude and just roar right back. I think we can't accurately predict the magnitude while this is still developing as it is, but I don't think it's going out on a limb to say that this is a significant setback and will take a good deal of time to recover from.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
It could be all the roar ("thriving") was artificial, built on tax cuts, too much credit, extremely low interest rates, and overpriced real estate. While I think this current collapse is certainly a disaster, I don't think there will be "recovery" to the former way of being. I do hope for some kind of reasonable steadying out. I fear for charitable and non-profit groups who are doing such needed work.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It could be all the roar ("thriving") was artificial, built on tax cuts, too much credit, extremely low interest rates, and overpriced real estate. While I think this current collapse is certainly a disaster, I don't think there will be "recovery" to the former way of being. I do hope for some kind of reasonable steadying out. I fear for charitable and non-profit groups who are doing such needed work.
Yeah, I have heard that food pantries in Mass are experiencing difficulty operating and at the same time facing surging demand due to the unemployment spike. I was just thinking that I should should make a supermarket run and head by the Salvation Army up the street.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:11 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yeah, I have heard that food pantries in Mass are experiencing difficulty operating and at the same time facing surging demand due to the unemployment spike. I was just thinking that I should should make a supermarket run and head by the Salvation Army up the street.
Absolutely. There's a world o' hurt and it way outside of the work-from-home people.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:23 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Nymex is down 40% today. This could be another slick to Texas. Anyone in the oil industry is in for a shock.

Rents will drop. I've already heard of owners that rent to college students looking for new short term tenants. Five months without cash flow is a long time for any business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts