Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 08:52 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Boston police overtime being cut as crime has been increasing in the area over the past year or so?

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ded-for-budget

Not to mention that anytime there is a riot, protest or people are celebrating in the streets this calls for more police OT.

Personally with all that's going on in the world right now I'm not sure why this is such a focus. I don't agree with police abusing overtime but that's not really what's happening here. No matter how much is taken away it will still be possible for cops to do overtime if they want.

Not sure what I think of civilians working construction details. I don't really have a problem with it I guess. In the end I just think things like this are going to deter people from wanting to be a police officer. There's so much negativity pointed at police right now that I can't imagine why anyone would want this career. I think more police are choosing to retire early and take their pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 09:00 AM

448 posts, read 282,707 times
Im on the police side. Whatever it takes to keep our state safe. If we have to pay overtime, Im all for it.

Sure, its not my budget, per se, though I know it kind of is, but....

My kids are anti-police for their own BLM agenda, iykwim. But Im on the police side. Dangerous Job.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:17 AM

It can be a dangerous job. I also think it's dangerous the way the media publishes the salaries every year and of course the ones at the top get published and people are like how the hell do cops make this much?! Many of those salaries are high because of law suit settlements or they are of very high ranking police who got OT backpay for some other reason. They are not the norm.

The average police officer makes about 130k and that is because they chose to work about 60 hours a week. There is nothing unfair about it. If they put in the hours that's what they make. I also don't know why there is an attitude from people that a Boston cop should not make 200k a year. Why not? Why should an engineer who sits at a computer for some tech company make 200k a year but a cop should not?

People get all up in arms about their tax dollars. An article I read said the savings would go toward mental health services, trauma and counseling services, programs for minority and women-owned businesses, housing support, and other initiatives. Sorry but maybe I don't want my tax dollars going to programs for minority and women-owned businesses, housing support, and 'other initiatives.' I'm all for mental health services and counseling especially during these times, but we seem to need police as well.

I know a few Boston cops who got injured and retired around 42 and got 80% of their pension and they will get it for the rest of their life. I do kind of question that.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:47 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What are your thoughts on Boston police overtime being cut as crime has been increasing in the area over the past year or so?

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ded-for-budget

Not to mention that anytime there is a riot, protest or people are celebrating in the streets this calls for more police OT.

Personally with all that's going on in the world right now I'm not sure why this is such a focus. I don't agree with police abusing overtime but that's not really what's happening here. No matter how much is taken away it will still be possible for cops to do overtime if they want.

Not sure what I think of civilians working construction details. I don't really have a problem with it I guess. In the end I just think things like this are going to deter people from wanting to be a police officer. There's so much negativity pointed at police right now that I can't imagine why anyone would want this career. I think more police are choosing to retire early and take their pension.
policing needs to change to lower the costs. Less police on the street answering calls. If you have a problem, call the police station and they'll set up an appointment to meet with you and write a report. No different than getting a doctor's appointment. Limit street time to actions that resulted in physical injuries.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:00 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
policing needs to change to lower the costs. Less police on the street answering calls. If you have a problem, call the police station and they'll set up an appointment to meet with you and write a report. No different than getting a doctor's appointment. Limit street time to actions that resulted in physical injuries.
So if someone's boyfriend is beating them they should call to schedule an appointment? sorry but this makes 0 sense. I also don't think there are many police out on the streets these days.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:09 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times
Have any of you been following the news in the past 5 years about the gross and widespread fraud of the MSP overtime?
This makes me think not.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:11 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Aren't they pretty understaffed right now, I thought that's what a lot of the OT was due to? If that's the case, I don't see how cutting the OT budget will solve anything.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM

448 posts, read 282,707 times
I will assume that there is fraud based on the story. And I would guess people are punching in/out for other people. I get that.

Thats not right, no.

But Im on the polices side, still , for how they protect us.

I do not condone stealing, and those that did it, should have to pay back (or get reprimanded, or something)

But whats the question I guess? Cut overtime? ok. I guess. Hope that things go ok still.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:28 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Have any of you been following the news in the past 5 years about the gross and widespread fraud of the MSP overtime?
This makes me think not.
That was MSP not Boston police. Which also makes me wonder why not cut MSP OT budget as well. Or i guess they haven't gotten there yet.

There's just a massive witch hunt to make police miserable right now it seems based on the actions of the bad ones.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:30 AM

17,771 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
This makes me think not.
Still vaping, bro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts