Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 03:53 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/05/...mented-people/

"After years of debate, the Massachusetts Senate on Thursday passed a bill to allow people without legal immigration status to get driver’s licenses.

The vote, 32-8, was enough to override a possible veto from Governor Charlie Baker, and came after the House passed a similar bill with a similar veto-proof margin earlier this year.

Because the Senate’s version was slightly different, the driver license bills will have to be reconciled before final votes to send them to the desk of the Republican governor, who has repeatedly expressed opposition to such a measure.

Though a recent poll found residents to be split on the idea, the bill’s passage was received with chants and yelling from supporters in the chamber’s public galleries, and assurances from lawmakers that after many years of debate, they’ve crafted legislation that addresses some of Baker’s concerns"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 04:47 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
Well a few things.

So indexing, numbering and taking photographs of illegals is as bad thing? It's all about tracking them.

Second the number of insurers are very limited. You cannot insure an illegal activity.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:15 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well a few things.

So indexing, numbering and taking photographs of illegals is as bad thing? It's all about tracking them.

Second the number of insurers are very limited. You cannot insure an illegal activity.

If the number of insurers are limited, what happens if a legal, insured citizen gets into an accident with an illegal who is licensed but uninsured? Who foots that bill and what consequences are there? What rights would an illegal have if the fault was the legal, insured citizen's? Vice versa, would the illegal get automatically deported if it was their fault since they had no insurance? Then of course the legal, insured citizen is left to foot the bill with their insurance and no recourse. Guess we can all expect our auto insurance premiums to sky rocket.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:38 PM

5,098 posts, read 2,661,482 times
I guess this is another thread that will be rehashed here again like it's sister thread a few months ago. If someone has a valid operator's license they can legally drive and can purchase insurance from companies who will serve them hence the illegality issue, insofar as the motor vehicle goes, would be off the table. What we have now are unlawfully present aliens, many of whom drive without a license and without insurance. In this case if they get a license they are able to be insured through some companies.

If there was an accident the insurance company would determine fault the same way they do now. Nobody gets deported for driving without a license or without insurance.

I always carry uninsured motorist on my policy and you're crazy if you don't.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-05-2022 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2022, 05:49 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
If someone has a valid operator's license they can legally drive and can purchase insurance from companies who will serve them hence the illegality issue, insofar as the motor vehicle goes, would be off the table. What we have now are unlawfully present aliens, many of whom drive without a license and without insurance. In this case if they get a license they are able to be insured through some companies.

If there was an accident the insurance company would determine fault the same way they do now. Nobody gets deported for driving without a license or without insurance.

They may legally get a license, however I'm sure they'll be many that choose and/or cannot afford to obtain insurance. Should be automatic deportation if they get in an accident as an illegal but do not have insurance when they were given the privilege of obtaining a driver's license.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:52 PM

5,098 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
They may legally get a license, however I'm sure they'll be many that choose and/or cannot afford to obtain insurance. Should be automatic deportation if they get in an accident as an illegal but do not have insurance when they were given the privilege of obtaining a driver's license.
Should be deportation for a lot things. The Immigration Courts make those decisions and the Executive Branch (President) makes decisions on which cases get prosecuted. Given their actions thus far, I really don't think uninsured aliens are on their agenda.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times
Just make sure they are able to vote 12 times or more for whomever they want...or whomever they need to.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 PM

845 posts, read 552,817 times
Sometimes I feel the US immigration system is designed to benefit those who do not follow the rules.

I know quite some people (mainly from India and China) who obtained a PhD from a US university but needed to wait 10 years to get a green card. Their career and personal life are negatively affected to a large degree.
However, I also see people who simply overstayed their visa or entered without a visa, then got a green card very fast via fake marriage or fake asylum.

My theory is, the US needs all kinds of people to do all kinds of jobs. Those who dare become illegal and make false documents possess something the country needs.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:05 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post

I always carry uninsured motorist on my policy and you're crazy if you don't.
Agreed, but it still sucks paying the deductible with no recourse for compensation. It's happened to me twice.

And to be clear I'd be equally as pissed about it if Citizen Joe Blow rear-ended me without insurance as well.

Old 05-06-2022, 07:34 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,072,233 times
How long before the "if they are allowed to drive they should be allowed to vote" collective howl coming from the left corner of the stage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts