Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 03:01 PM

531 posts, read 427,022 times

Advertisements

Word from a friend of a friend who lives in Hingham is that the person who crashed into the building was allegedly a former employee of the Apple store.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...e-store-crash/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 03:31 PM

3,646 posts, read 1,867,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Word from a friend of a friend who lives in Hingham is that the person who crashed into the building was allegedly a former employee of the Apple store.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...e-store-crash/
Some people are really sick in the head. Mental Health.....America's biggest crisis.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:38 PM

16,467 posts, read 8,258,847 times
Oh, thanks for the update. I've been following this story. My DH was on a call this morning and the person who he was speaking to had all these sirens in the background. DH joked and was like, are the cops after you? Person was driving in hingham and they were like, wow something is definitely going on. Then i saw this story pop up. So crazy. Someone died sadly. A 65 yr old man from NJ.

I have heard of people smashing cars into stores then running in to steal things...but those usually happen at night when no one is in the store...this seemed like someone had gone nuts. So awful. I had thought it could have been someone having a medical emergency or someone drunk (I thought of the old lady who ended up driving her car through the south shore plaza confused)

Scary times. Too many crazy people out there.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:35 AM

They arrested the driver. A 53 yr old guy from natick. Doesn't appear to be an angry former employee but he did have an oui in 2020. Hard to imagine that even drunk driving could cause someone to accelerate into a glass building filled with people. Just said. Looks like he has a wife and two high school aged kids. His life is ruined. So is the family of the person he killed.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
They arrested the driver. A 53 yr old guy from natick. Doesn't appear to be an angry former employee but he did have an oui in 2020. Hard to imagine that even drunk driving could cause someone to accelerate into a glass building filled with people. Just said. Looks like he has a wife and two high school aged kids. His life is ruined. So is the family of the person he killed.
Hard to believe that it was an accident as he told police. I mean if you're already going above ~20mph in the Derby shops.....that's already a problem so to be going as high as ~50mph as witnesses estimate...you should have had time to tap the brakes before it got up to that speed. However, it will be interesting to see if they can validate whether or not the accelerator actually got stuck and if it was a mechanical defect with the vehicle.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:22 AM

He was tested for alcohol and other drugs and the tests came back negative/0. Very weird. so hard to believe his foot got stuck leading to all of this but that's what he's saying. It doesn't make sense. Another witness estimated he was going 60mph. I have been to derby st many times and there would never be any reason to be going that fast regardless of a stuck foot or what. Something seems off. Hard not to take into account that he did get an OUI in 2020 so perhaps he has some negative happenings in his life.

It's reminding me of that woman who killed the cop boyfriend last year. So hard to understand how even when drunk, she ran over her boyfriend in the street and killed him.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:47 AM

12,888 posts, read 22,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Hard to believe that it was an accident as he told police. I mean if you're already going above ~20mph in the Derby shops.....that's already a problem so to be going as high as ~50mph as witnesses estimate...you should have had time to tap the brakes before it got up to that speed. However, it will be interesting to see if they can validate whether or not the accelerator actually got stuck and if it was a mechanical defect with the vehicle.
Even if it was an accident, The type of car and the location of the Apple Store within the Derby shops makes it hard to believe that he wasn't doing something seriously wrong or that there wasn't ample opportunity to recover. The store is way down in the back corner of the U-shaped cluster shops. The only place that's straight and open enough to pick up that kind of speed, while pointing at the Apple Store, is the ~350 or so foot driveway in front of Talbots and Barnes and Noble (bottom of the "U"). In order to get there, you have to pass through the entire complex of shops and turn 90 degrees to get to that straightaway which is not a corner you can navigate at a high speed (by design), especially in a big SUV which doesn't exactly corner well. It's really not easy to accidentally find yourself going 50mph over there, especially in a large SUV. And if you're starting from a dead stop, it's even harder. The 4-Runner probably takes 5-6 seconds to go from 0-50mph. That's a lot of time to recover from an accidental stepping on the gas instead of the brake situation.

And while medical emergencies and mechanical failure are always a possibility in these scenarios, I doubt they'd charge him with reckless homicide if they were still trying to rule either of those out.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:08 PM

So weird. Why would he want to drive through a store like that if this were malicious intent? I can understand people feel down this time of year but if he was trying to take his own life that seems like a weird way to do it. He must have had a moment of insanity. Some people go their whole lives without having any mental illness issues, then something like this happens. Scary.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:46 PM

The fact that he had a prior OUI conviction in VT within the last couple years says something too....inclined to believe he must have some depression or really troublesome things going on in his life.

Also, given the vehicle was a 2019...surprised it didn't have an automatic braking feature kick in when it detects imminent collision with something....or maybe it was overridden because he was gunning it?

Old 11-22-2022, 12:57 PM

yeah I'd agree, must have had some things going on. He didn't look well either. I guess no one would look well going into court after killing someone but i checked out his IG profile and he looked quite different just a few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts