Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 08:00 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Definitely a long overdue policy. A surprising number of children go to school hungry or with inadequate nutrition. I don't know this for a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contributes to a better outcome educationally as well.

I'm sure the "my Irish grandparents never got a dime!!!" folks on here would disagree or see this as a handout though.
And then check their phones to see what their friends are doing. ' poor ' hungry kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:04 AM

578 posts, read 303,251 times
I’ve learned to believe that free school meals are one of the best uses of fed tax money ever.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:05 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
The kids will be getting all A's now. Thanks MA!

I'm sure none of those lunches, particularly the healthy parts will ever be thrown away.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:06 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I’ve learned to believe that free school meals are one of the best uses of fed tax money ever.
Keep telling yourself that. It's all you can do especially if you live in a state like MA.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:17 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think people are getting a little too excited over this. The lunch ain't that healthy. It's better than having none but were there really ever kids in MA schools not getting a lunch?
When I was growing up, sometimes I qualified for free lunch and sometimes I didn't. I remember a period of time when I was in elementary school my dad would just give me a pear for lunch, which I didn't eat. And after a few days he asked me why I had a bunch of rotting pears in my backpack.

I don't know what the context was back then, but looking back I don't believe he knew what he was doing. I'm still close to my parents today and we're fine. You can call him irresponsible but it doesn't change the fact that this stuff happens.

Old 08-10-2023, 08:30 AM

360 posts, read 140,660 times
Quote:

I'm sure none of those lunches, particularly the healthy parts will ever be thrown away.
Not everything needs to be demonized and immediately discredited just because you don't like things.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:23 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
I think people are getting a little too excited over this. The lunch ain't that healthy. It's better than having none but were there really ever kids in MA schools not getting a lunch?

I thought the bigger issue was breakfast...wasn't there a program during covid that offered free breakfast that people were all mad about when it was going to go away because many kids don't get given breakfast?

What about dinner? lol. I mean come on MA you've got a big job to do here. Parents don't want to do anything for their kids these days. They're entitled to spit out kids and not have to pay for them dammit.
Back in 2017, there were 28 districts in MA that would not provide lunch to a student who did pay in advance or have cash for it. And some would provide an alternate lunch (PB&J, cold cheese sandwich, butter and bread) if the child reach the cashier without the ability to pay. In an ironic twist, that hot lunch the kid couldn't pay for would be thrown away.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...chool-age.html

Old 08-10-2023, 09:49 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:

I thought the bigger issue was breakfast...wasn't there a program during covid that offered free breakfast that people were all mad about when it was going to go away because many kids don't get given breakfast?

What about dinner? lol. I mean come on MA you've got a big job to do here. Parents don't want to do anything for their kids these days. They're entitled to spit out kids and not have to pay for them dammit.
Quote:

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that. It's all you can do especially if you live in a state like MA.
Geez do you ever have anything nice to say about anything? This is a good thing and you've complained 3 times already. You complain about everything in every thread. You sound unhappy.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:53 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Geez do you ever have anything nice to say about anything? This is a good thing and you've complained 3 times already. You complain about everything in every thread. You sound unhappy.
I am unhappy to see all this free stuff go out in my state why others can't afford a home. You're damn right I'm unhappy about what has happened here. I am not going to keep quiet about it either.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:01 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Definitely a long overdue policy. A surprising number of children go to school hungry or with inadequate nutrition. I don't know this for a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contributes to a better outcome educationally as well.

I'm sure the "my Irish grandparents never got a dime!!!" folks on here would disagree or see this as a handout though.
lol.

"How DARE you feed 6-year-olds who may or may not have a $25,000 Gerber life Grow-Up plan they can access at age 25. What if the 6-year-old mom is from South America, or worse- Haiti! Make that kid pony up and stop looking for a free ride!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts