Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 10:54 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Apparently since it's MA and people think life here is so grand

"If you live in Massachusetts, you have a lot to brag about.

A new study from WalletHub has the Commonwealth as the #1 best state to live in America.

WalletHub compared the 50 states based on 51 key indicators of livability. They range from housing costs and income growth to the education rate and quality of hospitals."

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/the...ive-in-america
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 11:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Debt per capita is a poor choice of denominator but the purpose of the article is to draw clicks more than anything else.

The easiest way to look at debt trouble is to see which states have lower bond ratings as that is subject to rigorous financial review.
You can't tell people, they won't listen. New Jersey and Illinois had the worst ratings the last time I looked, which was last week. The US bond rating just dropped from AAA (the highest) to AA+. I try to explain stuff like how banks create money (money multiplier) and why they don't have to worry about the US total debt, and their eyes just glaze over like I was trying to explain Quantum Physics to them.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:17 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
New Jersey and Illinois had the worst ratings the last time I looked, which was last week.
New Jersey is ranked the #2 best state to live in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

A new study from WalletHub has the Commonwealth as the #1 best state to live in America.

WalletHub compared the 50 states based on 51 key indicators of livability. They range from housing costs and income growth to the education rate and quality of hospitals."

Old 08-14-2023, 11:30 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

well you accused me of bragging because I mentioned went to freakin' Nantucket a few times here and you also accused me of bragging about my home value, lol

What exactly are people from MA allowed to brag about these days? Seems like there's a thin line.

Should i brag about the skin dr appt I have next month? Ooh lucky me I get to have a Boston dermatologist tell me what mole should be removed while i walk by a group of homeless men heckling me.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:31 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Would you like to put it in context for us?
Nope - not my job to do what the author's should.

My point is that all the "article" does is list the top states based on state debt per capita. It doesn't make any sort of point of why that is the case or if it's even important.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:57 AM

851 posts, read 417,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Nope - not my job to do what the author's should.

My point is that all the "article" does is list the top states based on state debt per capita. It doesn't make any sort of point of why that is the case or if it's even important.
It's empirical data, facts, make of it what you will. The source is World Population Review, not exactly crackpots, and they don't explain why. What's your theory?

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-14-2023 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-14-2023, 12:11 PM

851 posts, read 417,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Debt per capita is a poor choice of denominator but the purpose of the article is to draw clicks more than anything else.

The easiest way to look at debt trouble is to see which states have lower bond ratings as that is subject to rigorous financial review.

It's like a school teacher and a doctor both graduate but the doctor has twice as much student loan debt, which is worse off?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._credit_rating
There's 25 states with a higher credit rating, and 10 with lower. Not the end of the world, but hardly cause for celebration. I'd say we're the doctor who might want to start watching his pennies. We're shedding population and it doesn't strain credibility to assume that they used to be middle class taxpayers here. This is not a demographic that we want to run out of town. I grew up here and it's a great state, but if we don't take care of those that pay the freight, they'll find someplace that will. Too heavy a wagon with too few horses ain't going anywhere.

Last edited by TunedIn; 08-14-2023 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-14-2023, 12:14 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Eh it's MA, we have Harvard, MIT, some really smart people live here. We're good, we're fine.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Eh it's MA, we have Harvard, MIT, some really smart people live here. We're good, we're fine.
Yeah and look how everything is working out, perfectly right? Going to either of these institutions, or having a masters apparently is no guarantee of anything when it comes to decision making or rational thought.

Old 08-14-2023, 02:07 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
It's empirical data, facts, make of it what you will. The source is World Population Review, not exactly crackpots, and they don't explain why. What's your theory?
My WAG is unfunded state pension liabilities. As of 2022, state pensions were funded only at 64% with a shortfall of $35 million. But when the shortfall is compared to GDP which is an excellent measure of a state's ability to fund it, it's at 4.4% - right in the middle of the pack.

Anyone can pick a set of parameters in order to make a list of "best" and "worst" to generate clicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts