Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 09:56 AM

16,330 posts, read 8,162,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
My wife is pregnant and the doctors at South Shore Hospital
told us that this is the busiest they have ever been. It is possible there is a mini baby boom happening now that we are three years out from 2020. Every time we go to an appointment the waiting room is completely full - Who knows
I live on the south shore so I'm not surprised. We know many families with 4, 5 and 6 kids. 3 seems to be the norm. From what I can see wealthier people on the south shore are having more kids...or for whatever reason wealthier people with a good amount of kids like towns on the south shore. They tend to be more conservative/republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 10:16 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Massachusetts has the most expensive childcare in the country due to low ratio requirements and low salaries for childcare workers causing shortages.
The salaries actually don't play much a role, the problem is that if you want 1 teacher per 3 infants or 2 for seven. It means the seven people have to pay 2 salaries + benefits + rent/utilities and any other cost + any profit the company that owns the center is making. When you add the number together it's easy to see why you end up paying 2k or more.

Old 09-01-2023, 10:23 AM

254 posts, read 257,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I live on the south shore so I'm not surprised. We know many families with 4, 5 and 6 kids. 3 seems to be the norm. From what I can see wealthier people on the south shore are having more kids...or for whatever reason wealthier people with a good amount of kids like towns on the south shore. They tend to be more conservative/republican.
You kind of need to be wealthy, like charolastra00 said we have the highest childcare costs in the US. We are on several waitlists and the cost for daycare is outrageous. I’m not sure how people do it with 3+ kids manage unless they have a lot of money.
This is what we were quoted from a place in Hingham:

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/db/11/1321AE83-D65E-475F-84DD-280D7FDC0FB3/IMG_4225.HEIC

$44,340 for an infant. The same chain costs half as much in my hometown - Austin, Tx…

Old 09-01-2023, 10:41 AM

I agree that the daycare situation in MA is sad/bad but there seems to be no good solutions for it. The day care prices can't come down because the workers need to be paid, plus rent/keeping the lights on in the building. I also hear people argue, this is your child, shouldnt you want them to be taken care of well? We've also created a society where two people in the household have a decent lifestyle.

I have actually thought maybe there should be a public daycare option..kind of like a public school? Seems like there is a lot of pushback on that idea. I just dont know...you'd likely have to show proof that you were actually going to work, and I've heard people complain they don't want their tax dollars paying for that.

Many of the families i know with multiple kids have a mother who doesn't work because the father makes enough to cover it all. I'm sure there are some families who have someone stay home because it just made more sense and maybe they wanted to be home with the kids.

I also wonder if WFH has created some of this baby boom phenomena? It is much easier to be home and get part time day care or a part time nanny. Gone are the days for many where they have to drop a kid off at daycare, run to the office, go back and pick up kid before they go home. WFH makes much of this easier to avoid, and even better if both parents are WFH.

At the end of the day the day care years are not very long.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:05 AM

It also doesn't surprise me that any average, educated person wouldn't want to bring children into this world. There is a lot of negativity happening. The US seems more interested in helping migrants and could care less about American people. Many people worry about money and climate change happenings that could be disastrous. It's pretty distressing to read about water shortages.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:13 AM

3,602 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
It also doesn't surprise me that any average, educated person wouldn't want to bring children into this world. There is a lot of negativity happening. The US seems more interested in helping migrants and could care less about American people. Many people worry about money and climate change happenings that could be disastrous. It's pretty distressing to read about water shortages.
Terrible but so true...why bring kids into this world given how bad everything is right now? Do they really want their kids growing up and taking on the burden of all these issues or maybe they think their kid will be a Harvard grad who can solve all the worlds problems?!

Old 09-01-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I agree that the daycare situation in MA is sad/bad but there seems to be no good solutions for it. The day care prices can't come down because the workers need to be paid, plus rent/keeping the lights on in the building. I also hear people argue, this is your child, shouldnt you want them to be taken care of well? We've also created a society where two people in the household have a decent lifestyle.

I have actually thought maybe there should be a public daycare option..kind of like a public school? Seems like there is a lot of pushback on that idea. I just dont know...you'd likely have to show proof that you were actually going to work, and I've heard people complain they don't want their tax dollars paying for that.

Many of the families i know with multiple kids have a mother who doesn't work because the father makes enough to cover it all. I'm sure there are some families who have someone stay home because it just made more sense and maybe they wanted to be home with the kids.

I also wonder if WFH has created some of this baby boom phenomena? It is much easier to be home and get part time day care or a part time nanny. Gone are the days for many where they have to drop a kid off at daycare, run to the office, go back and pick up kid before they go home. WFH makes much of this easier to avoid, and even better if both parents are WFH.

At the end of the day the day care years are not very long.
You are right - there seems to be no easy fix for it. I don't blame people at all for leaving Massachusetts to start a family. Texas has a lot of issues, but my siblings can afford a very nice lifestyle for a fraction of what it cost to live here.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:22 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Terrible but so true...why bring kids into this world given how bad everything is right now? Do they really want their kids growing up and taking on the burden of all these issues or maybe they think their kid will be a Harvard grad who can solve all the worlds problems?!
Yes, most people their own kids will never be part of the problem lol.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:25 AM

It is depressing that the movie Idiocracy is turning out to be prophetic. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it - or just look up the plot.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
It is depressing that the movie Idiocracy is turning out to be prophetic. Definitely worth watching if you haven't seen it - or just look up the plot.
I'll have to check it out. Sounds like another terrible tragedy in Cohasset yesterday as well. Sad times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts