Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 06:52 AM

2,950 posts, read 5,201,732 times

Advertisements

Yes, we all know he's from Vermont, and currently lives in Watertown, Massachusetts...He even mentions Vermont in his "Stick Season" song.

And "Dial Drunk" seems to be his first big hit, followed I think by "Stick Season."

Didn't he burst onto the national season just last fall? Had never heard of him.

Those two songs are still in heavy rotation on Kiss 108, probably Mix 104, I think 92.5 The River and I think Emerson College's WERS 88.9.

Mentions "alcohol" and/or "drunk" in, I think, both songs. Maybe also in others songs not on commercial radio? I don't drink (if anyone cares). Maybe drinkers appreciate the lyrics, and maybe there's even a deep meaning and connection for them. Haven't tried dissecting the meaning.

But worse, I dislike his voice, and the tunes of both songs.

Yes, he's a big star now, was even nominated for a Grammy, I think ...and is at Fenway Park for I think two concerts this summer; I think he's currently on a big tour.

I turn off the radio as soon as his songs start!

Am I the only one who doesn't get this Vermont/Watertown, Massachusetts, sensation... doesn't care for his voice or his lyrics of these two popular songs? Maybe his other songs are a bit different, but not on commercial radio?

I think it's pronounced "Kahn" -- one syllable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 07:17 AM

12,907 posts, read 22,068,557 times
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you don't like it, I wouldn't spend too much time wondering "why not?" Music is highly subjective.

I think he's fine. I'm a Mumford and Sons fan and he reminds me a little bit of them, but with a more Vermont-folksy twist. Definitely not for everyone, nor would I go crazy trying to get tickets to his shows. But I don't mind when his songs come on the radio.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:37 AM

1,050 posts, read 693,553 times
I had never heard of him until now. Thanks for bringing him to my attention. He's not bad.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I had never heard of him until now. Thanks for bringing him to my attention. He's not bad.
Never heard of him? Hmmm...but he's everywhere, it seems. But I realize not everyone listens to the radio stations I mentioned, or only listens to just streaming radio. Or mainly likes jazz, country or classical.

I asume streaming radio airs his music...or do they need to wait awhile once songs air on regular radio stations? I've never used those options.

He's perhaps already performed on Saturday Night Live....if so, I'll check and watch it just out of curiosity. I only hear him, never have viewed him.

I'll have to check if there's video of him singing a song at the Grammy's. Not sure if he performed there or was only nominated.

Old 04-18-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you don't like it, I wouldn't spend too much time wondering "why not?" Music is highly subjective.

I think he's fine. I'm a Mumford and Sons fan and he reminds me a little bit of them, but with a more Vermont-folksy twist. Definitely not for everyone, nor would I go crazy trying to get tickets to his shows. But I don't mind when his songs come on the radio.
Hmmm....not a Mumford and Sons savant, but I think I'd recognize a few Mumford and Sons songs, and I think I do like the ones I've heard over the years, if not mistaken.

Maybe I'll change my "tune" after I hear more of Noah Kahan's current music, and when he releases more.

I think WERS and WXRV The River plays some of their music.... maybe even Kiss 108 and Mix 104.

I think WERS 88.9 and Kiss 108 currently regularly promote or at least mention his Fenway Park summer concerts with contests and promotions -- so he's definitely the man nowadays!

Old 04-19-2024, 01:41 AM

I'm 45 and my idea of new music is the White Stripes, so I normally don't go looking for new singers or bands.

However, I've been listening to more and more of his music now and I truly love it. His voice may be an acquired taste for some, but his lyrics are beautiful and poetic.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm 45 and my idea of new music is the White Stripes, so I normally don't go looking for new singers or bands.

However, I've been listening to more and more of his music now and I truly love it. His voice may be an acquired taste for some, but his lyrics are beautiful and poetic.
Wow, so you "truly love" his music! I guess two of his songs are in rotation on commercial radio for several months now, but some haven't explored him beyond that as you just did.

I admittedly have not explored his music like you just did... I just hear whatever the radio stations pump out.

So maybe you'll even see him at Fenway Park on a pleasant evening this summer, after all?

Hmmm....I just noticed that his initial album a few years ago wasn't considered country at all, but more suited for adult contemporary, according to the source .

I just saw that he's Jewish.... hadn't heard that prior. Born in Hanover, NH, but I guess he's solely known now as from Vermont and now Watertown, MA.

Just saw a link: 18 Things to Know About Noah Kahan which you might like to check out.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 04-21-2024 at 04:34 AM..

Old 04-21-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Wow, so you "truly love" his music! I guess two of his songs are in rotation on commercial radio for several months now, but some haven't explored him beyond that as you just did.

I admittedly have not explored his music like you just did... I just hear whatever the radio stations pump out.

So maybe you'll even see him at Fenway Park on a pleasant evening this summer, after all?

Hmmm....I just noticed that his initial album a few years ago wasn't considered country at all, but more suited for adult contemporary, according to the source .

I just saw that he's Jewish.... hadn't heard that prior. Born in Hanover, NH, but I guess he's solely known now as from Vermont and now Watertown, MA.

Just saw a link: 18 Things to Know About Noah Kahan which you might like to check out.
I should say that I listened to all of his album "Stick Season" and I truly loved it. I listened to his earliest stuff after my initial post and I didn't like it - it was too poppy. But his folk-pop music is really beautiful.

I don't even live in the US now, so I don't know what's being played on the radio back in Boston. But as a New England native who's trying to find his sense of home, I find that I can relate to his lyrics. I find his song "Paul Revere" to be especially poignant.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,009,845 times
I dunno, he's a talented songwriter for sure, and his music is of a genre that I like, but the stories told through his lyrics remind me why I left Massachusetts.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:21 AM

3,423 posts, read 1,563,076 times
The lyrics of his songs are good . The singing is strange and has a similar vibe to this......https://youtu.be/HXSIxi-VUBM?si=kJ_ingCwaTBlu1VQ
I like how that guy sings better.

I don't notice new music much anymore. I hope musicians will put out new stuff that is good . Some think rock died around 2012. Rick Beato a music guy on YouTube talks about how lyrics today are horrible. The Noah guy obviously has good lyrics. Rick Beato is known for doing his series what makes this song great on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts