Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What grade would you give Phillip Eng, GM of the MBTA?
A 0 0%
B 3 20.00%
C 2 13.33%
D 3 20.00%
F 3 20.00%
Don't Know 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM

5,127 posts, read 2,700,602 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/community/rea...r-at-the-mbta/

A majority of a small sample of Boston.com readers have given Phillip Eng a grade of "A" for his first year as MBTA GM. I have to wonder how many of them actually use the T.

I don't feel like I have enough information to offer an assessment of his performance or whether it's even fair to judge him yet. I use the T often but not daily, and have not observed noticeable improvements. But that doesn't necessarily mean there haven't been any. I use several subway lines, the trolley, and some bus routes. Some bus and subway routes seem to have improved in terms of headway. The weekend shutdowns on the Red and Orange lines are a hassle, but I get they need to happen in order to make improvements. I'm wondering how the commuter lines are faring?

Interested in hearing the experiences of others who use the various lines of the MBTA and how you would grade Mr. Eng on his performance. It would be helpful if those voting explained why they gave their particular grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 08:36 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,140,722 times
As an Orange line rider, I am going to say YES.
It has improved. Transparency on closures and the new cars are a great change. The slow zones are annoying, but not terrible.
I think the Red line riders will have a different tune.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:56 AM

12,925 posts, read 22,099,591 times
The Commuter Rail seems a good deal better than I remember. The schedules have been adjusted to better suit the post-pandemic workforce, the cars are clean, there appear to be more of the newer double decker cars in use, and the on-time performance appears improved. I'm no longer a daily subway rider, but the Orange Line seems improved (new trains and time to work out the bugs will do that) while the Red and, more recently, the Blue Line seem to be having issues (I still haven't turned off my ProximiT alerts).

I'm not ready to credit Eng for the positives, and I'm not going to ding him for the things that aren't working. The timeframe is just too small and most positives (the new OL train deliveries and CR improvements) and negatives (the vast amount of deteriorating infrastructure) were in motion long before he arrived. So a letter grade seems silly at this point. That said, I do think he's got a no nonsense approach to communicating about issues that I appreciate. I don't feel that issues are being glossed over or sugarcoated when they're identified (the CRC contract changes are a good example). And while the shut downs, shuttles, etc. are frustrating, I prefer a "rip-the-bandaid" approach to fixing problems rather than dragging them out. Maybe we can do letter grades in a few years.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:03 AM

16,619 posts, read 8,340,018 times
The experience is better because more people are driving now.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Most of my experience is with the Red Line, which has absolutely NOT improved. If anything, it's worse than a year ago. Even after endless shutdowns over the past year and weekend shuttle bus replacements to "fix" things, it seems like it's even slower than it was last winter! For each slow zone eliminated, it's like there's two new ones now! It's too soon to judge Eng, but it's still an absolute joke of a system.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Commuter Rail seems a good deal better than I remember.
As if on cue, my train broke down at Back Bay this AM. On the other hand, the unplanned OL trip was fine. The new trains are night and day (literally, so much lighter) compared to the old ones.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:43 AM

1,550 posts, read 1,136,140 times
Quote:
As if on cue, my train broke down at Back Bay this AM. On the other hand, the unplanned OL trip was fine. The new trains are night and day (literally, so much lighter) compared to the old ones.
We must have been on the same train. I opted to stay on to get to South Station. Ended up being 20 minutes delayed.

I thought of this thread. The train runs well almost all of the time for me so I would give them an A for my particular route, but I voted "don't know" as I have no recent experience with any other line.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:33 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,700,602 times
Quote:
So is that vote change?

Old 04-25-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
We must have been on the same train. I opted to stay on to get to South Station. Ended up being 20 minutes delayed.

I thought of this thread. The train runs well almost all of the time for me so I would give them an A for my particular route, but I voted "don't know" as I have no recent experience with any other line.
Good to know it wasn't stuck too long. I got off as soon as the conductor said "we're not getting power, I'm going to open the doors for anyone who wants to get off." My office isn't far from the OL and I usually switch between walking from S. Station and OL from Back Bay depending on the weather (plan was to walk today) since the time difference is negligible. But I will be taking Amtrak home today instead of the CR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
So is that vote change?
No change for me. I can't pin an issue with an old locomotive on Eng. But I don't feel quite as confident about the CR as I did yesterday.

Old Today, 02:15 AM

1,061 posts, read 699,140 times
As an outside observer, it seems like the commuter rail is doing pretty well. There's a lot of frequency and trains that go well into the night.

And now the Blue Line no longer has slow zones.

It seems better, but is it?

It seems like Eng has been the best CEO the MBTA has had in recent memory. Am I wrong? Is this more on Maura Healy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts