Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you downsize recently to an apartment or condo?
Condo 3 75.00%
Apartment 1 25.00%
Within MA 2 50.00%
Moving to save expenses 1 25.00%
Moving to be maintenance free. 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

970 posts, read 551,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The townhouse idea is quite appealing. By townhouse do you mean individual SFH, not in a development but independent off a street on a lane? No HOA?
We have in our area Milford-Ashland-Franklin-Holiston and such some HOAs with 4 different entrances from different sides. They look like they have more privacy than some others.

Example https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_56151760/

They do have HOA/condo fees, but no pools or other things that make it expensive. Over the time we do not see large increases in this fee. We will continue to watch it, watch how much our towns' (different town) taxes will be rising and will make a decision.

Our house was pretty much completely rebuilt 10 years ago, so we do not have any large spendings on upkeep now, but who knows what will happen in 8-10 year. We will watch this, winters (how snowy they will be) etc. And of course politics. Maybe we will need to run and hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

3,725 posts, read 1,919,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
We have in our area Milford-Ashland-Franklin-Holiston and such some HOAs with 4 different entrances from different sides. They look like they have more privacy than some others.

Example https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_56151760/

They do have HOA/condo fees, but no pools or other things that make it expensive. Over the time we do not see large increases in this fee. We will continue to watch it, watch how much our towns' (different town) taxes will be rising and will make a decision.

Our house was pretty much completely rebuilt 10 years ago, so we do not have any large spendings on upkeep now, but who knows what will happen in 8-10 year. We will watch this, winters (how snowy they will be) etc. And of course politics. Maybe we will need to run and hide.
Association fee of $420 seems like a lot if that's just for plowing, landscaping and trash.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,588,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
In many associations, members cry to keep the dues low thus ignoring Reserve funding. This cry is common with owners who do not intend to stay but a few years and older folks crying I am on a fixed income.

If Reserves are not properly funded, it will come back and bite your butt.
She pays 476. There are people there with money but mother is retired. Someone said they neglected repairs for awhile.

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM

3,725 posts, read 1,919,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
She pays 476. There are people there with money but mother is retired. Someone said they neglected repairs for awhile.
$476 is a lot....what does it include?

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

970 posts, read 551,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Association fee of $420 seems like a lot if that's just for plowing, landscaping and trash.
I’m seeing much worse now.
In smaller units.
That’s what I hate.

Old Today, 12:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,141,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Well she pays condo fees and it seems she has to dish out a ton of money for repairs like a new roof and new windows.maybe they are corrupt . That's why I would never trust the board of trustees .
I feel the same about condo boards, and the possibility that they invoke the need to prop up reserve funds on top of condo fees. With individual home ownership, you can always have submissions from contractors and defer some work to be done over time, so you call the shots.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,141,202 times
Still, if you consider the breadth of the real estate market, condos are a valuable asset.

There are many avenues to property ownership and they may correspond to the owner’s values, lifestyle, etc…

Consider people who own trailer homes in trailer parks who rent a trailer park site. Their property values are incumbent on the resale of the movable. They can in most instances be forced to move if the park owner sells to a developer whose intention is to build. If the owner of a trailer home owns his piece of land, all the better.

Old Today, 07:17 AM

22,103 posts, read 13,106,304 times
I'm surprised your poll choices didn't include "planning to downsize to a condo or apartment"; only "have moved." Also "in Massachusetts."

Old Today, 08:56 AM

16,105 posts, read 7,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm surprised your poll choices didn't include "planning to downsize to a condo or apartment"; only "have moved." Also "in Massachusetts."
you are exactly right. my first post has been edited to say answer poll if you have downsized or considering downsizing in MA. Please feel to vote either way.
yes, in MA as that would be more relevant for as this is MA forum and for MA residents. the choices and variables may be different in other states, and this post if for those who don’t want to leave the state,
like me !

Old Today, 11:28 AM

14,275 posts, read 14,812,421 times
I agree, like row houses. They share a common side wall. There can be just two, side by side or more. In one HOA I was a member of, in MA, we had 4 units per building.. Two inner units and two outer units. Each unit was 3 stories, counting the full basement. Dividing walls were double cinder block with a space in between. You never heard any noise from your adjoining neighbor.

When we relocated, to SC, we wanted a home with no stairs. The stairs in a townhouse can be a killer for older folks. We did look at a townhouse development that had an elevator in each unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts