Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times

Advertisements

Where is the "deep" south shore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
^It's not a real distinction, but I believe it was one poster's reference to the area around Plymouth, Middleborough, Lakeville, Raynham, Carver and perhaps Plympton, Taunton, and Freetown as well. Sort of in between the South Coast and the core South Shore towns closer to 128 and the northern portion of Pilgrim's Highway (rt. 3). route 44 is sort of a mid-point line through the middle of the area I would assume implied by "Deep South Shore".

Old 12-23-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^It's not a real distinction, but I believe it was one poster's reference to the area around Plymouth, Middleborough, Lakeville, Raynham, Carver and perhaps Plympton, Taunton, and Freetown as well. Sort of in between the South Coast and the core South Shore towns closer to 128 and the northern portion of Pilgrim's Highway (rt. 3). route 44 is sort of a mid-point line through the middle of the area I would assume implied by "Deep South Shore".

Thanks. I've lived on the Cape and/or South Shore my whole life and am always amazed by towns people consider to be "south shore".

Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM

104 posts, read 260,008 times
That for a common sense point of view. I couldn't agree more. New Bedford is up and coming quite nicely. The neighborhood around Union St is really developing some cool stores. Its all young people, and it has a great urban "feel" You are dead on about the portuguese people, I must confess I'm about 1/4 portuguese. These people came here, did the tackiest things to their house, gripped their language and culture like a life raft, worked their butts off, preserved great family values, and our now turning out to be some of the richest people in their communities. They are very hard working enterprising people who deserve everyone's respect. And their food is excellent!

I think people who come here sometimes have a romantic notion of the foul mouthed, rude, keep to yourself Yankee, and then they fall into it like a trap. They just dont know how to engage people here. Yes we're reserved until we have a reason not to be, but when the door is open its really open.
When you make one friend here, that may bring you literally 30 or 40 friends. Social groups can be huge here, at least compared to what I saw in Georgia. There are saw small groups like 5-8 people would be really close. When I came home to Mass I forget what it was like to go out with 10 people at a time in a possible(and sometimes odd) mixture from any number of about 40 people. And the internet has only made this bigger.

Is there racism/classism/and everyother ism here? Yes. Of course. We have raving liberals AND raving conservatives. We arent exactly the blue state everyone thinks we are. We're majority independent voter registration, have 100% democratic legislature and have a knack for electing republican governors... go figure. The reality is we're objective. Tell us what youre gonna do for us and we'll elect you. I mean Yankee mostly Catholic Massachusetts elected a Mormon from Michigan to be the Governor and then followed up with a Black man from Chicago. Clearly these people are open minded.

Like the person said, there are indeed some very uneducated people here, stupid ones even. But honestly where isnt that the case. In the South there was a certain sympathy and almost nobility to the rural poor. And I actually can respect that. But why should that not be the case for some poor guy or gal from Fall River or Brockton? I personally try to talk to every human being I meet like their my family and try to imagine being in their shoes. I love my black, cambodian, brazilian, pakistani, guatemalan brothers and sisters from every inch of the commonwealth. I talk to everyone, all the time. And its ALWAYS sir and mam.

But let me make something clear to people...

Massachusetts and New England are not perfect. We have our flaws, oddities, and complexities.
I wish we referred to people as sir and mam more often. A great line in 'No Country for Old Men'- "when ya lose the sir and mam the rest is soon to follow" I wish we gave excellent hospitable customer service all the time. but I'll tell ya its a helluva lot better than 15 years ago. We didnt seem to even know the words then. I think people are alot happier and pleasant than the early 90's... we were a miserable lot for sure back then. But we also just got our butts kicked in a severe recession and for once were really not doing that bad. Our foreclosure is very low by national standards and our budget is only know starting to fall behind. And at that... all of our budget problems but about 200 million are *projected shortfalls. $200 million is less than 1% of the Massachusetts budget. As compared to Arizona and California's very real 30% shortfall.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 36,078 times
I just moved here from pennsylvania. I hate it here. I hate the people here. They're all cold, distant, unfriendly, and rude. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 24,490 times
I regret that I didn't fully investigate the area before I moved to Western Massachusetts, especially the economy. I see no future for this area in terms of jobs and thus I have no plans to buy a house here. It's clearly an area in decline. People here are oblivious to the fact that there was a housing bubble here. It's just now bursting. I wouldn't be surprised if prices fall 30-40% here over the next few years.

While I was excited when I first moved here, the negatives soon started cropping up. It rains way too much here. Rents are higher than I expected and are overpriced relative to incomes. I understand why a lot of people here have roommates. There is a great disparity between the rich, middle class and poor here. Shopping stinks. There is no customer service here. The drivers are too much in a hurry. I hate the way the area is laid out, with a myriad of narrow crowded winding roads connecting everything together. I could complain more, but I'll stop there.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
the coastline is real nice, so, are the no jobs. If you really wish to live in Ma go for it, and do not
let anyone make you say no. Frankly it is with the economy real hard. It is now hard in all states.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:26 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,559 times
"...As for the open minded people who dont think the world needs to lay the red carpet out for em and bring em a cake cause they graced us with their presence- Thank you. Thank you for coming to Massachusetts and loving us, not judging us, and not trying to turn us into someone else. It will take time but we love you like anyone you've ever known. Do well by your neighbor here and he will literally give you the shirt off his back for you. We will help you if ever you ask for it..."

Damn.
That about says it all...
I'm a newcomer to MA (2 years) and I can't say enough about the amazing people in this state. I LOVE it here and hope to remain until my final day. Some of the gripes are true...it's not cheap to live here, taxes & fees run amok...but last time I checked, we are free to move about as we choose. If it's not for you, find the place that is...life's too short to hate your home.
I just try to look at the positives...when I take a drive, I get to see the beautiful vistas and trees; not a bunch of giant billboards spaced every 50 feet. My house here is smaller; it's cozy by the fire. Our sports teams are awesome and the fans here make it something that everyone else in this country wishes they could have. We have the Cape, Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket...We have Boston...
But it's the people for me; they make all the fees, taxes, & other crap worth it. I am here to stay.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM

104 posts, read 260,008 times
Thank you LoriLou!!!

Welcome to New England!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Lorilu your attitude is refreshing! You reap what you sow and it sounds like your positive outlook has brought good people into your life.

WELCOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts