Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 47,243 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We moved here to MA from MI last fall, I have to say I have been pretty happy with the decision to get out of MI (however I miss my family who remains there) but nevetheless the MA economy seems to be more diversified. Anyways, we are seeking to relocate within the state to find more resources for our 4 year old son with Autism. I have heard from several that the closer to Boston you get, the more services and qualified special education teachers you are going to find..is this true? Also, with that in mind, what are the best areas to pursue? I've looked into so many areas such as Lexington, Cambridge, Waltham to name a few....

Any feedback/info would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 AM

100 posts, read 474,939 times
www.necc.org The New England Center for Children and School for Autism. This is highly rated I hear from people that have used it (several celebrities use(d) it too - I don't think its wrong to mention Doug Flutie as he went public about it to raise funds for Autism studies). It is in Southborough on Route 9 just over the line from Framingham. Best is to ask for referrals especially from your health care provider. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM

142 posts, read 520,786 times
I too have heard that the Southboro, Westboro, Northboro areas are great for special education. I know of an autistic child that has made some great advancements, becoming verbal and social/outgoing, and he attends school in Southboro, although I do not know if it is public school or NECC.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,467 times
Usually the more populated areas have better resources for autism which would rule out much of MA west of Springfield/N'hampton regions.

Have you had any luck at all getting info about local resources from physicians affiliated with Baystate in Springfield?

I found this link for you- http://www.theassn.org/matriarch/MultiPiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_20_A_PageName_E_Serv icesCRPAaboutDivision (broken link) while it is a residential care facility it also advertises being a resource center too, might want to give them a call.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by winnie; 04-23-2007 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 37,781 times
Check out Nashoba Learning Center in Bedford Mass

Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,115 times
I can give you a lot of information. To help me tailor it to your family, can you provide me with some basics: do you have a good health insurance plan, and where are you at financially... Just some basics, as far as what you are looking to pay for housing, how you balance your need for special ed against your income, etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:13 PM

142 posts, read 520,786 times
my sister has had enormous luck living in Burlington. A lot of areas will have the student attend their public schools' special education program, but Burlington has been one community where they are willing to send the child out of district without hesitation. My nephew is attending a private school focusing on autism, which was highly recommended by his medical team, and other communities may not be as willing to send a child out of their system. I don't have any other information on other communities - I can just speak of my sister's good experience in Burlington. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 37,386 times
I'm interested in more information that you might have on school districts. We're having an awful time in Woburn. We rent. Looking for a 3-bed for under 2K/month. Husband works in Lynn so we need to stay within commuting range. Son is going into K with an Asperger's diagnosis. Looking for a school system that is Asperger's-friendly. (You don't have to fight to have OT and executive functioning goals, for example.) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:24 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,115 times
Lynn is northern MA, right? I have no knowledge about cities north of Boston. I would refer you to SPEDWatch.com, or the yahoo group Common Bonds for parents who have experience in that part of Mass.

Best of Luck,

Old 07-19-2010, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 37,308 times
We're in Bedford, MA and receive great services. For all mainstream students, the teachers get together at the end of each year and hand-select each student for each teacher. Kids on IEP are placed first to ensure they are matched with the best teacher for them. I find that to be just as important as the amount of services my son receives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts