Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Go to NY, Chicago, DC, Philly, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Minneapolis, even Hartford, and you won't see any such nonsense.
I can't speak for any of the cities but Chicago, but you see the exact same discussion on the Chicago board. It is especially prevalent in the "bungalow belt" of Chicago where most of the housing is small single family houses with 2 or 3 flats mixed in. People feel entitled to park in front out their house and will put all kinds of things out there to save their spots. It's kind of funny to come here and read the same questions about snow and hear the same range of responses, from it's hell on earth, I hate it and can't wait to move to it's no big deal. I've come to think that it's all in a person's attitude. Some people will be miserable anywhere, others will find and appreciate the best things about a place and be happy wherever they find themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 AM

9 posts, read 30,307 times
Honestly, the snow is not a problem. People like to complain, you know? It is an easy thing to complain about here as it is universal - we all deal with it. It snows, the roads are crappy for a few hours until the plows get them cleared and sanded. If you can deal with the laid-back lifestyle of the South, than you can definitely deal with a few delays here and there during the winter when we get some snow. And if you like a day off now and again, call in on the bad snow days and tell them you live at the bottom of a hill! ;-) Most people I know don't really mind the snow at all. And it is very pretty - has a sort of cleansing effect on the landscape, you know? Plus, sledding, snowball fights, building snowmen, and skiing are all really fun activities! Come on up!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM

203 posts, read 496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I've come to think that it's all in a person's attitude. Some people will be miserable anywhere, others will find and appreciate the best things about a place and be happy wherever they find themselves.
You are so dead-on correct with that statement.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM

53 posts, read 108,954 times
I've lived in Mass my entire life, and the snow has always been a concern. I don't consider it negative though. Before I went to university, I would pray for snow during the week to get snow days, (which are days off from school because the local town can't make the roads safe enough). You definitely need to adjust your driving technique; it's a good idea to drive in a lower gear, and under the speed limit, but I've yet to be in an accident.

I can't comment on the Boston parking situation, as I've lived in the suburbs, but generally you're going to get used to shoveling a fair bit if you own a vehicle. It may be an inconvenience, but I'd hate to live in the south, or on the west coast where you don't have a real winter. Makes you soft.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,128 times
I recently moved down to Maryland from Boston. People down here go into hunker down mode at the mere mention of flurries in the weather forecast.

I used to live in Beacon Hill, in 2004 (i think) we got 3 and a half feet of fresh and the entire city shut down. It was one of the most fun times ever... people cross country skiing down Charles Street, snowmobiling up Cambridge St. I think the harsh weather can bring out the best in cities and their residents. I cannot wait to get back.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 AM

26 posts, read 86,413 times
We get a few snowstorms a year, nothing really to worry about. If you are used to it. Snow can actually be somewhat exciting and beautiful (until it gets all brown and gross and very annoying).

Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 AM

136 posts, read 462,589 times
A couple of thoughts seem to be common among the posters:

1) We can handle winter. The state and towns have the equipment to plow the roads, schools know when to cancel, and everyone is very aware of big storms approaching and do change their work/travel plans.

2) Everything is relative. Having grew up in the hills of western MA, the winters here in eastern MA are great - less snow and warmer temps. The fall frost takes a few weeks longer to come and the spring thaw arrives a few weeks earlier here along the coast. Within the Boston metro area, yeah, north/west of the city tends to get hammered vs. us on the south....though every storm is different. Now, how would I feel about moving to Buffalo NY or someplace in the midwest? I'm sure that would be a bit of a shocker.

3) It's not just the snow...it's a lifestyle. It gets dark, it's cold, it affects your commute, your kids may have class cancelled, you'll need more time in the morning to do things like clean off the car, clear the driveway, you have a risk of house pipes freezing, heating costs jump, etc.

One way to deal with winter is to immerse yourself with it. Learn to downhill ski/board or XC ski and look forward to the snow. Sledding with the kids, travel to winter carnivals, etc. That said, yeah, joing the local gym is a good distraction and sometime around Feb or March is great to take a week off and get some sun in FL. Plenty of direct flights from Boston-area airports.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Also, early sunsets in Mass can be an issue for some. In December, the sun sets in Boston 35 minutes before it does in DC, and 1 hour 20 min before it does in Atlanta, because Boston is so far north and east. If I could, I would spend summers in Boston and the Cape, but live somewhere else from early Nov to late March.
It's all how you look at it. The sun also rises EARLIER than either of those 2 locations in December because Boston is so far north and east.

Also, having lived in Scandinavia, the darkness in December in Boston is nothing to write home about. Try having the sun rise at 10 am and set at 3pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts