Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 AM

80 posts, read 956,666 times

Advertisements

I know this post is old, but for others who stumble across it and read all of it, a lot of things being said aren't necessarily true! I grew up in Hawaii, went to public school, been to all the islands, I am white. I never got bullied or picked on, most of my friends were Hawaiian/Filipino/etc. YES, I was referred to as "hoalie" or "hoalie girl" but only by people who did not know me. It's no different then us saying "that white boy" or "that black girl". Sure everyone at some point gets picked on, but not usually because of race. I've lived in Mississippi for the past several years and finished high school here, I've experienced more racism here then I ever have in Hawaii. I've been on the receiving end of racism countless times from blacks. I've seen blacks be on the receiving end by whites. Racism is very alive here and I can honesty say I encounter it or others dealing with it on a almost daily basis. Hawaii is nothing like this, not from my experience at least. And also a lot of people take it the wrong way if they hear someone referring to them as a "hoalie". Racism is everywhere, just gotta deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
Default Re: honest1

I traveled to Maiu with my boyfriend and as a tradition we always look up random facts. We came across the 'Maui crime' page and decided to read the comments. We both busted out laughing when we read your comment Honest1. Good job.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,261 times
I spent 4 days in Maui. I am a dark skin, surfer, from Santa Cruz, CA. I'm sure you could tell I was from the mainland but I didn't look like a pale kook with a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts. Anyway we were surfing in what looked like a lower income area. After surfing I was waiting for my friend, sitting on his car and a local guy and his girlfriend drove up and told us to move our car. I thought he was asking if we were leaving soon so I said, "yeah we are going to leave soon." He got out of the car with an empty bottle in his hand and said "move your f***ing car right now or I'm a bust your head with this bottle." His girlfriend got out of the car and started calling my girlfriend "haole *****, I'll kick your ass" and we were just like, "We are sorry we'll move." The guy smacked my friends car with the bottle and we were so close to having to fight. Luckily we were just calm and it didn't escalate. Pretty frightening to be honest. There is a lot of anger, drugs and resentment of mainlanders invaiding the island. Tread lightly, be aware of your surrounding, do your best to have respect. Even still, there's a good chance you'll get tested.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:03 AM

958 posts, read 1,148,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Surfer View Post
I spent 4 days in Maui. I am a dark skin, surfer, from Santa Cruz, CA. I'm sure you could tell I was from the mainland but I didn't look like a pale kook with a Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts. Anyway we were surfing in what looked like a lower income area. After surfing I was waiting for my friend, sitting on his car and a local guy and his girlfriend drove up and told us to move our car. I thought he was asking if we were leaving soon so I said, "yeah we are going to leave soon." He got out of the car with an empty bottle in his hand and said "move your f***ing car right now or I'm a bust your head with this bottle." His girlfriend got out of the car and started calling my girlfriend "haole *****, I'll kick your ass" and we were just like, "We are sorry we'll move." The guy smacked my friends car with the bottle and we were so close to having to fight. Luckily we were just calm and it didn't escalate. Pretty frightening to be honest. There is a lot of anger, drugs and resentment of mainlanders invaiding the island. Tread lightly, be aware of your surrounding, do your best to have respect. Even still, there's a good chance you'll get tested.
What are the ccw/open carry laws in hi? 300lbs of hawaiian beef cant stop a glock.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,774,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
What are the ccw/open carry laws in hi? 300lbs of hawaiian beef cant stop a glock.
This is exactly why allowing people to carry guns is a bad idea. The situation described by Black Surfer was not life threatening, nobody got hurt, and it was resolved. It sounds like boulder2015 would whip out his glock and I am not sure what then. But it would be escalated.

At any rate, to answer your question - Hawaii allows open-carry and concealed carry but only with a license and licenses are rarely given out. The law requires certain criteria be met to get a license and most people cannot meet it. All guns must be registered with the police.

Gun crime is pretty unusual, in Maui at least.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,982 times
Default Maui is high crime

Maui is high crime but the majority of tourist victom crimes, like mine, goes unreported.

I was drugged In Maui in Kahi at South Shore Tiki Lounge. September 2015
I came in alone while husband parked car. (they thought I was alone) I ordered 1 drink and it tasted like chemicals. I drank about 1/4th of it. I left the rest of the drink and had nothing else to drink. We left and 1/2 hour later my head began spinning, I couldn't stand or walk, I felt like I was dying. husband was on the phone looking for a hospital. Not until I vomited many times did I begin coming out of it. This was not food poisoning because an hour later I was hungry and ate. I was drugged.

Homeless people sleep on the beaches so not safe at night. Daytime they come out of the bushes and steal towels and don't dare leave anything of value while out in the water.
Leave nothing of value in your car, they break the windows and rob the cars.

High number of sex offenders on this island. Check the national database for yourself.

If you do up to Hanna, do not take any of the side roads on the way up, you may never be seen again.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,839,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememom View Post
Maui is high crime but the majority of tourist victom crimes, like mine, goes unreported.

I was drugged In Maui in Kahi at South Shore Tiki Lounge. September 2015
I came in alone while husband parked car. (they thought I was alone) I ordered 1 drink and it tasted like chemicals. I drank about 1/4th of it. I left the rest of the drink and had nothing else to drink. We left and 1/2 hour later my head began spinning, I couldn't stand or walk, I felt like I was dying. husband was on the phone looking for a hospital. Not until I vomited many times did I begin coming out of it. This was not food poisoning because an hour later I was hungry and ate. I was drugged.

Homeless people sleep on the beaches so not safe at night. Daytime they come out of the bushes and steal towels and don't dare leave anything of value while out in the water.
Leave nothing of value in your car, they break the windows and rob the cars.

High number of sex offenders on this island. Check the national database for yourself.

If you do up to Hanna, do not take any of the side roads on the way up, you may never be seen again.
I've lived here for a couple of years and feel very safe. Do you think the bartender drugged you or was your drink unattended and another customer did it? Who are "they" who thought you were alone? It really sounds like an unfortunate coincidence with a different cause.
There are homeless here just like most places on the mainland but I've never found them to be aggressive and none have asked me for money. Some have mental health issues but are still not dangerous.
Do you actually think people are disappearing on the road to Hana and it goes unreported?
First-time poster? Unbelievable!

Old 04-19-2016, 11:14 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,356 times
A rather disturbing number of folks have gone missing on Maui in the past few years. Only one missing person case has been resolved as a murder.

Maui Now | East Maui Man Still Missing After Nine Months

Not good for such a small Island, and something that didn't happen years ago.

Old 04-30-2016, 05:41 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,010,399 times
Just got back. Never felt unsafe. Some beaches definitely have people that "live" there. Saw one torched car and numerous abandoned ones. Drug use appears high...ha ha...no pun intended. But I never had any issues.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,708 times
If "Black Surfer" is still tuned in, I was wondering what Maui surf spot you had confrontation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui