Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 40,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
We had a very prolific poster on here awhile back make in the neighborhood of the upper $30's in Maui - and he well chronicled how broke he was - he lived in a small Ohana rental - lived check to check - often couldn't get things like his car fixed - eat what he wanted - couldn't afford anything - he documented his tale from his excited pre-move to living here - to the move back - a little searching and you'll find his multi-year tale.
Oh my goodness! That sounds a bit tragic! So sorry to hear that this person had such a difficult journey. I will search for their posts and see if I can learn a thing or two. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,058,994 times
That one person's story is not representative of most. It has been recommended ad nauseum, but I absolutely could not relate to it and neither can many others who poke holes in that individual's many errors. To each their own. I know that one forum member is going to totally rebut my opinion on this, but I stand firm. Edited to add that I HIGHLY doubt that you two would accept an offer to move so far for that low salary. That's poverty level every place I've ever lived.

Hidden costs...for me, the electricity is extremely cheap but I come from where it is really horrific. We are powering a 3/3 house, no air conditioning, all electric appliances, we don't own a TV but run computers most of the day, solar water heater for average of about $140/month. To us that is CHEAP. To you that may be expensive.

No TV means no cable/satellite, I don't know what they cost. We find the phone/internet to be very reasonable here.

Gasoline is very expensive, I think about $4.29/gallon today in Hilo. On the other hand we don't drive as much as we did in the Caribbean or in Florida.

Prepared foods are also very expensive, and although I don't drink it I've been told milk is as well. We find that buying most of what we eat at the farmer's markets is very inexpensive. If you eat healthy you'll be fine. If you must eat prepared foods, prepare for shock.

I don't smoke but I hear people whining that ciggies are very spendy here.

Many big box stores are a bit higher priced than on the mainland. We have an Amazon Prime membership and pretty much buy everything from them and it tends to get here in just 2-3 days with free shipping. We don't need or buy much but your needs may vary. We rented a fully furnished home; if you rent unfurnished and have to obtain things it may cost you a pretty penny.

Other people will pipe in with things as well. Best of luck, you are being smart to research before you accept the offer.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 02-18-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM

16 posts, read 40,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
That one person's story is not representative of most. It has been recommended ad nauseum, but I absolutely could not relate to it and neither can many others who poke holes in that individual's many errors. To each their own. I know that one forum member is going to totally rebut my opinion on this, but I stand firm.

Hidden costs...for me, the electricity is extremely cheap but I come from where it is really horrific. We are powering a 3/3 house, no air conditioning, all electric appliances, we don't own a TV but run computers most of the day, solar water heater for average of about $140/month. To us that is CHEAP. To you that may be expensive.

No TV means no cable/satellite, I don't know what they cost. We find the phone/internet to be very reasonable here.

Gasoline is very expensive, I think about $4.29/gallon today in Hilo. On the other hand we don't drive as much as we did in the Caribbean or in Florida.

Prepared foods are also very expensive, and although I don't drink it I've been told milk is as well. We find that buying most of what we eat at the farmer's markets is very inexpensive. If you eat healthy you'll be fine. If you must eat prepared foods, prepare for shock.

I don't smoke but I hear people whining that ciggies are very spendy here.

Many big box stores are a bit higher priced than on the mainland. We have an Amazon Prime membership and pretty much buy everything from them and it tends to get here in just 2-3 days with free shipping. We don't need or buy much but your needs may vary. We rented a fully furnished home; if you rent unfurnished and have to obtain things it may cost you a pretty penny.

Other people will pipe in with things as well. Best of luck, you are being smart to research before you accept the offer.
BINGO!!! That is exactly what I needed! :-) Funny you mentioned Amazon... I had already researched shipping to Maui, and was figuring I would definitely be doing a good deal of shopping online. I also researched a few other stores I frequent for hard-to-find items and was thrilled to hear they also ship to Maui. Here, where we live now, gas is nearing th $4.00 mark again (and often is over $4.00), so I'm pretty used to that. Our electric is outrageous... it reaches near the $300/month mark from lat May through Sept. when our AC is in use (100+ sufficatingly hot, humid summers here). I love fresh fruits and veggies and look forward to our Farmers Markets here, so that would be ideal for me there. I much prefer fresh over processed food. I don't smoke, so no worries there! Your information has been incredibly helpful! Thank you soooooo much!

PS- you are soooo right about the $30K salary comment... lol! We wouldn't ever be able to consider that. Not here, and definitely not in Maui.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Here are some threads - there are more, it is easily the most documented tale of a twentysomething moving to Maui on this forum.

Moving to Maui soon

County of Maui always holds one of my paychecks??

Is Hawaii end game?

Are these things normal? Working for Maui County

What do you do once you get stuck in Hawaii?

This is just some of them.....

Old 02-18-2013, 04:40 PM

I have a suspicion that those threads will not ring a bell with the OP. LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity67 View Post
you are soooo right about the $30K salary comment... lol! We wouldn't ever be able to consider that. Not here, and definitely not in Maui.
Wink's story is WAAAY over-quoted. One guy who made a series of bad choices...lol. And not relateable to this thread.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM

His only bad choice was moving to Maui without sufficient income and savings. He had a college degree and a job upon arrival in Maui. What should he have done differently?

It is pretty well documented that at his income and savings under $10K it wasn't possible to make it in Maui - what were his other bad choices? He was very excited about the move - started his job and the realities set in and the honeymoon was over. And then, he had a very diffcult time getting off island.

Wink's story is "over-quoted" because there is no other similar story on the forum (under $10K in savings and a mid $30's job) - there isn't anything else to quote.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:27 PM

And none of his story has anything to do with this thread....but you just can't help yourself, LOL!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Last I checked this is the thread title: What annual salary would be sufficient to live in Maui

His tale is all about he didn't make enough money to survive in Maui - he goes into detail on budgeting income and expenses, how is that not relevant?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:40 PM

The fact that you dog his story so much, lol!!! You could have simply posted "$40K is not enough". Instead you spent a lot of keystrokes posting something irrelevant...I would have made a sure bet from the OP's first post that they would not consider relocating on such a small amount of money. You continue to make me literally laugh out loud.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM

I don't know why a newcomer wouldn't be interested in his actual moving costs, his rent and issues for a very small place, electric bills over $150/month, take home pay amounts, his budgeting, unforseen issues like car repair and the costs, the details of how the $6K or so rapidly disintigrated and then literally couldn't afford to get off of the island.

That was the point of the thread. And of course $40K is not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui