Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:46 AM

8 posts, read 10,415 times

Advertisements

OP - thank you for posting as ive learned some good information here. and thank you to all the posters for your input!

I hope its okay to piggyback on this post however wanted to ask kn5kids a few questions (might be helpful for other readers in similar boats) :

kn5kids - wondering about timeshare sales - what kind of hours/pay would entry level sales staff reasonably get with practically zero sales experience? any particular companies known for their training and continual development of employees along with a positive work/life balance?

these are all questions i realize could be answered somewhat with some research but just thought id ask since you suggested it to the OP....

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM

430 posts, read 640,008 times
The best career to live in Hawaii is military. Preferably officer, the higher the rank the better. You get a ton of BAH money so you'll be living the high life. Just hope we don't go to another war

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
How are job prospects for experienced registered nurses?
Anybody know?

Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM

430 posts, read 640,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude91 View Post
How are job prospects for experienced registered nurses?
Anybody know?
There is a nurse shortage because they're underpaid

Old 08-18-2015, 06:31 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
Yikes. Competitive. Thanks whtviper1!

Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
You've said nothing about your finances and the type of work you do. Washington DC and New Zealand are both high cost places to live, so I assume you may have job skills that would allow you to make enough income to survive in Hawaii. People making $100K in Hawaii don't have a high lifestyle compared to other places because the cost of living there is so high. Most jobs pay less in Hawaii, some jobs pay a lot less. Think about how it will effect your long term financial future. Many jobs require knowing someone or being a relative. I'd probably make 1/3 of my current income if I lived in Hawaii during my working years. So, even though I probably have enough money to live there, I can't afford to take that kind of pay cut, especially when it will make a drastic difference in my retirement income stream.

People who can't make enough income on Oahu to live close to their work, end up spending a 3 hours a day stuck in their cars on the daily commutes. People who don't get paid enough have to work 2 or 3 jobs, which doesn't leave much time for leisure time.

It's well worth the cost to visit Hawaii, not just Oahu, but the other islands too. You'll gain a lot of insights when you are on the ground. Don't stay at hotels. Stay at away from the concentrated tourist areas for a better 'feel' of what it's like to live there. If you can't afford to visit Hawaii several times, then you can't afford to live there.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
People making $100K in Hawaii don't have a high lifestyle compared to other places because the cost of living there is so high.
While on the surface the above statement is true - you aren't exactly slumming it at $100K on Oahu, you'd have it far worse on $100K in San Francisco or Manhattan.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:02 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While on the surface the above statement is true - you aren't exactly slumming it at $100K on Oahu, you'd have it far worse on $100K in San Francisco or Manhattan.
I agree, you won't have to live in a crime ridden getto area and eat mainly rice and beans. However, if you can earn six figures and live in a lower cost area, you can save and invest a huge amount of money. Over a 20 to 30 year working career, you can retire as a multi-millionare. If you lived in a higher cost area, it's more likely that you could retire in poverty, if you didn't or couldn't save and invest enough money over your working career.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
However, if you can earn six figures and live in a lower cost area, you can save and invest a huge amount of money. Over a 20 to 30 year working career, you can retire as a multi-millionare. If you lived in a higher cost area, it's more likely that you could retire in poverty, if you didn't or couldn't save and invest enough money over your working career.
Any 30 year old making six figures on Oahu should certainly be able (actually easily) to retire a multi-millionaire - especially considering career advancement and annual increases. Factor in a spouse/significant other - homeownership, it isn't terribly difficult. Any 30 year old making sig figures on Oahu who retires in poverty has other issues in their life. By your math (six figures) nobody should over live in Hawaii and everyone in that income bracket should live in a "low cost area" which is extreme to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: