Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,302,531 times

Advertisements

A landlord needs to put right in the rental contract that there will be annual or bi-annual landlord walkthroughs so they can asses the condition of the rental. Most importantly plumbing and electrical, but overall upkeep as well. This means looking under sinks, in and behind ovens, washer/dryers (lint buildups cause fires) This is especially important if it's a condo because you are responsible for the other units that are damaged by water or fire if your unit is the cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 PM

337 posts, read 613,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
A landlord needs to put right in the rental contract that there will be annual or bi-annual landlord walkthroughs so they can asses the condition of the rental. Most importantly plumbing and electrical, but overall upkeep as well. This means looking under sinks, in and behind ovens, washer/dryers (lint buildups cause fires) This is especially important if it's a condo because you are responsible for the other units that are damaged by water or fire if your unit is the cause.
There's a clause on the HAR (Hawaii Association of Realtor's) form that has this:

RIGHT TO ENTER: LANDLORD will give TENANT at least two (2) days notice before entering the Unit; and enter only during reasonable hours, except in case of emergency. LANDLORD may enter the Unit in order to: inspect; make needed or agreed repairs; decorate, change or improve the Unit; supply services as agreed; and show it to anyone who may want to buy, rent, or lend money on it. LANDLORD will not abuse this right or use it to harass TENANT. TENANT shall not unreasonably withhold TENANT’S consent. LANDLORD has no other right of entry, except by court order, or if it appears that TENANT has abandoned the Unit.

If you're not using a version or variant of the form I'd put that clause in myself. There's also another one that if the tenant causes damage, and the landlord knows about it then they can give them 10 days to repair or charge the damage to the tenant and break the lease

If TENANT fails to comply with any of the terms of the Rental Agreement, including damaging the Unit or
violating any of the house rules, laws, or other restrictions, LANDLORD will give TENANT written notice of the violation. If the damage is not repaired or the violation is not corrected within the time specified (NOT LESS THAN TEN (10) DAYS) from receipt of such notice, LANDLORD may correct it and charge the cost as additional rent and terminate the Rental Agreement. Notice is hereby given that TENANT is responsible
for paying any fines, penalties, or other assessments charged by any government agency, homeowner’s associations, and/or condominium association because of TENANT’S failure to comply with any of the terms of the Rental Agreement.

If looking for legal advise regarding tenant / landlord codes I'd have to recommend speaking to a real estate attorney for advise there.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualEntrepreneur View Post
Hi folks, I just came across this ad, and was wondering how often renters trash their properties? I believe for this person to take the time and write this then there is some truth to it. It seems sincere.

Is this a growing trend??

I've seen both sides of the spectrum. Its rare to have a meticulous tenant, but we've seen many that after the tenants are out the home isn't quite trashed, but very well used. Usually carpets need to be replaced, and walls painted. Some plumbing leaks. Sometimes replacement of appliances like the fridge or stove.

If you get a really good tenant, even if you have to negotiate the rent down to keep them from moving away its worth it over all.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
Quote:
Hi folks, I just came across this ad, and was wondering how often renters trash their properties? I believe for this person to take the time and write this then there is some truth to it. It seems sincere.

Tenants dont ruin it for locals

"Im a very hard-working landlord. don't like that name because we think of what were doing is a much needed service for the hard-working local folks on Maui. We only rent to local folks who have a Minimum of 5 years residency. Its only fair and there's enough vacation homes legal or not out there. We choose to rent just long term to families that need housing and give a reasonable rent, never raise or change the terms of the rental contract either. Some places, Example,7 yr old, 3 bedroom 3 bath lovely clean furnished wailuku home for 1600.00. Some more some less. We struggle very hard to give that rate.
Regardless .....of the property taxes, insurance, mortgage payments, equity loan, Maintaiance, utilities,garbage, is so expensive, every month. We lose alot of money every month, but that's ok... Just want to hold on ....if we can....as long as we can.. to give to our kids. But, the tenants we have been experiencing lately?? Not sure now.
Writing this ...... everyone is saying landlords are so greedy, mean, cheaters, etc etc. The rents are so high.... There may be a reason tenants are not aware of... There are very very few tenants that leave the homes in move in condition for the next tenant.
Not talking about minor cleaning... minor repairs...minor patching... painting etc etc...normal wear and tear.
The problem is that most homes are left virtually trashed ....unhabitable... repairs that run into the thousands of dollars.... Plumbing issues... water damages... electrical cross wiring to convert some machines etc...doing auto body work, placing motor cycles in the home etc etc .....oil damages.... flooring destroyed. Could go on and on...and on...
Just asking tenants the next time you hear or see another tenant ruining a rental property please tell them, they are really Ruining all tenants opportunities to rent a nice home. Tell them, because of your disrespect, we will have to pay for this in much higher rents or no place to rent at all. You RUIN it for all of us!!!
It seems some tenants are landlord haters...Its not landlords against tenants, tenants against landlords...What would happen if homeowners just decided not to rent at all? Then what happens? Homeowners don't get any financial incentives from the county or tax breaks..homeowners aren't the county housing service. Homeowners don't have to rent at all. Homeowners are offering a service a valuable service thats being greatly abused. Also, the landlords cannot take more than one month security deposit for damages. The mainland it's a full years rent up front as deposit thats why very few tenants that can abuse the rental market system. Landlords on Maui take huge risks renting their property and for that gift it's recipicated in being destroyed.
Yet, some maui tenants treat homeowners like garbage and especially, The HOME
Alot of landlords who have rented long term for years, are just not renting anymore or just selling, cause of the constant misery, expense, losses.
So Local folks out there...If you haven't noticed???? There is a rental crisis right now! and it's continuing to get far worse! For many of the reasons explained
.. the only way to get the rents down, more available,more affordable is ....
WORD OF MOUTH TO ONE ANOTHER.
DONT RUIN! TRASH !!!! ABUSE!!!! DISRESPECT!!!A RENTAL HOME!!!!YOU SCREW IT UP FOR ALL OF US TRYING TO GET A NICE HOME FOR OUR FAMILIES!! THATS JUST NOT COOL! SISTAH! BRO!
The more tenants that speak out to tenants that are abusing a rental home, lash out about their behavior !!! WORD OF MOUTH A COMMUNITY EFFORT can only help this rental crisis were in and your local brother and sister have a much better chance getting accepted to a lovely rental home for their growing families. Thx for listening.."

Is this a growing trend??

This post is simply ridiculous for a number of reasons. Lets start of with the premise that Landlords are allowed to screen for tenants, it sounds like this Landlord does not take the time or effort to screen for responsible tenants. If Landlords are renting to transits they take a higher risk than renting to residents who have been living working on Maui for 2-5 years minimum.

Next in ridiculousness is the posters line that reads: "There are very very few tenants that leave the homes in move in condition for the next tenant.". That comment isn't logical, tenants need a track record of referrals in order to get onto the new place or rather next place. Furthermore, it's a a small island and everyone knows how "word" goes around here fast on the 'coconut wireless. '

Renters often consider there rental their home, not just a crash pad. In my experience, with Landlord's happy approval, we've made improvements to make the rental more appealing to us, at our own costs. This cost was out of pocket, not refundable or counting towards deposit. Improvements included but not limited to; landscaping, implementing a garden, painting the interior, replacement of kitchen counter-tops, replacing tiles, carpets, blinds. Also, we've installed ceiling fans that stayed when we left. This was always with a long term lease, of course.

This next section of the post sounds more like a Landlord's negligence to upkeep and monitor their rental property: "the problem is that most homes are left virtually trashed ....unhabitable... repairs that run into the thousands of dollars.... Plumbing issues... water damages... electrical cross wiring to convert some machines etc...doing auto body work, placing motor cycles in the home etc etc .....oil damages.... flooring destroyed.".......well, that sounds like a combination of poor screening and a lack of effort to get a good tenant to begin with , and plain negligence on managing their own property.

The Landlord tenant relationship goes both was. I've not included my first Maui Landlord horror story because I've chalked that one up to experience and took responsibility for the fact I didn't research or get to know my Landlord first, before signing a contract and laying out the money, and moving in. Furthermore, I've taking classes to familiarize myself with the Hawaii Landlord Tenant Code. It's available online as well as in print.

And common sense helps, I had a perspective Landlord back out of our tenancy the day of contract signing after realizing we were ''not rabid Sea-Hawks fans'', no kidding, those were his exact words. $2800 and we couldn't pick our own football team to cheer for. Well, that's not in the Code, but common sense says thank god he didn't figure that out after we moved in, lol.

But in matching great tenants with great Landlords, we don't have to ever use the Code. We and the Landlord communicate and don't let issues or concerns build up. We have a symbiotic relationship that benefits both parties and we appreciate that on both sides. We live in an Ohana, and we act and are treated like extended Ohana. There's plenty Aloha to go around Maui.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:58 PM

Was wondering how you'd been Trinity. Did you finally get a good spot for yourself?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
Was wondering how you'd been Trinity. Did you finally get a good spot for yourself?
rural living, yet close to town....Cliffs @ Kahakuloa

Old 11-15-2015, 07:24 PM

60 posts, read 100,743 times
Question Trashed Rentals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
If Landlords are renting to transits they take a higher risk than renting to residents who have been living working on Maui for 2-5 years minimum.

This next section of the post sounds more like a Landlord's negligence to upkeep and monitor their rental property: "the problem is that most homes are left virtually trashed ....unhabitable... repairs that run into the thousands of dollars.... Plumbing issues... water damages... electrical cross wiring to convert some machines etc...doing auto body work, placing motor cycles in the home etc etc .....oil damages.... flooring destroyed.".......well, that sounds like a combination of poor screening and a lack of effort to get a good tenant to begin with , and plain negligence on managing their own property.

But in matching great tenants with great Landlords, we don't have to ever use the Code. We and the Landlord communicate and don't let issues or concerns build up. We have a symbiotic relationship that benefits both parties and we appreciate that on both sides. We live in an Ohana, and we act and are treated like extended Ohana. There's plenty Aloha to go around Maui.
Trinity, I think we'd be blessed to have a tenant such as yourself and agree with your reasoning 100%! However I realize, through experience, that many don't have your same respect for property.

I believe this poster (whoever he is), only rented to 5 year residents and did not entertain transients/vacationers. That his renters did crazy modifications to his electrical wiring and plumbing without his permission or knowledge (yes lack of inspection - or maybe tenant cover-up prevented him from seeing this). And left his place trashed.

As a landlord, I really only care about 3 things:

1. The tenant respect and take care of the property (normal wear-and-tear to be expected)
2. The rent payment is on-time (we gotta pay the mortgage with that money after all)
3. As you said, COMMUNICATE any issues and be respectful to one another. Can't solve it if we don't know about it.

I don't care about race, creed, beliefs, nationality, football teams, living habits, or whether you're from another planet, as long as those 3 items are good - we're good. I am particularly concerned about being a haole landlord might give a tenant justification to trash the place on the way out (references and security deposit not withstanding).

I've also been toying with the idea of letting the tenant pick the day of the month for rent payment which would be set for the term of the lease. If if makes it easier on them all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchTempo View Post
I've seen both sides of the spectrum. Its rare to have a meticulous tenant, but we've seen many that after the tenants are out the home isn't quite trashed, but very well used. Usually carpets need to be replaced, and walls painted. Some plumbing leaks. Sometimes replacement of appliances like the fridge or stove.

If you get a really good tenant, even if you have to negotiate the rent down to keep them from moving away its worth it over all.

So what percentage would you say trash a place?
Trash meaning more than just paint, carpet, and a lawn mowing is needed to re-rent.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:21 PM

919 posts, read 790,677 times
Quote:
I am particularly concerned about being a haole landlord might give a tenant justification to trash the place on the way out (references and security deposit not withstanding).
hmmm. You know frankly it sounds as if you might not be comfortable renting out a property.

I was going to compliment trinity as well as I agree with a lot of that post. I am currently on both sides. I'm renting a condo here in California, and am renting out our condo on Maui. We've lived in this condo for 14 years and have done lots of repairs and improvements to it.

We bought a condo in Kahana and plan to retire there in two years or so.

Anyway, I do think there are people who are not really relaxed enough to be landlords I mean, you have a security deposit to cover damages and a courtroom if it came to that. I also have insurance on our condo.

I work with a guy here in san Diego county who is kinda OCD, had a vacation rental, and pretty early on had the "tenant from hell" who supposedly was a slob and trashed the place. I suspect it was more unrealistic expectations.

I mean the previous poster bemoans tenants not leaving the place "move in ready for the next tenants" That is unrealistic.

Myself, I got a really nice and professional woman to manage our rental. She checks out tenants, gets a deposit and takes care of any issues that come up. So I don't feel "particularly concerned" about anything.
But I'm not really expecting to get rich doing this I feel blessed actually to have a place that is paying for itself, and that will be there for us when the day comes, some time in 2017 if all goes according to plan

Aloha

Old 11-16-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Trinity, I think we'd be blessed to have a tenant such as yourself and agree with your reasoning 100%! However I realize, through experience, that many don't have your same respect for property.

I believe this poster (whoever he is), only rented to 5 year residents and did not entertain transients/vacationers. That his renters did crazy modifications to his electrical wiring and plumbing without his permission or knowledge (yes lack of inspection - or maybe tenant cover-up prevented him from seeing this). And left his place trashed.

As a landlord, I really only care about 3 things:

1. The tenant respect and take care of the property (normal wear-and-tear to be expected)
2. The rent payment is on-time (we gotta pay the mortgage with that money after all)
3. As you said, COMMUNICATE any issues and be respectful to one another. Can't solve it if we don't know about it.

I don't care about race, creed, beliefs, nationality, football teams, living habits, or whether you're from another planet, as long as those 3 items are good - we're good. I am particularly concerned about being a haole landlord might give a tenant justification to trash the place on the way out (references and security deposit not withstanding).

I've also been toying with the idea of letting the tenant pick the day of the month for rent payment which would be set for the term of the lease. If if makes it easier on them all the better.

So what percentage would you say trash a place?
Trash meaning more than just paint, carpet, and a lawn mowing is needed to re-rent.
To be honest not too many. But then again in my field I mostly work with property managers since I don't do rentals myself. Sometimes you have an ocd owner that views the paint/carpet replacement as trashing the unit. But for the most part I think you have to expect that.

Might be better to try a tenant or two with a 6 month lease, and if after that six months the unit already needs some repairs from wear and tear then don't renew, and find another tenant.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:08 PM

33 posts, read 157,050 times
Hawaii is not ideal investment territory. There are zone restrictions on vacation rentals. Condos in resorts offer the best cap rates, but need to generate a lot of revenue to pay the high price, the three taxes, management (if you use it), and normal costs associated with RE to achieve a benchmark 5%. Long term rentals don't pencil in. Prices to rents are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui