Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 04:11 PM

71 posts, read 163,263 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

We're getting close to our big move here, from South FL to Maui. Based on someone's recommendation here in the forum, we got a quote from Hawaiian Moving to get our household stuff packed up and shipped over, but we just got a shocker from them today when we made the call to finalize things and they literally doubled our original quote (nearly $20,000 is the new quote, for a 40 foot container including packing/unpacking).

Does anyone here have recent experience moving from the mainland that could comment on a couple things:
1. Is it typical for shipping companies to quote by the cubic foot?
2. Does $20k seem reasonable given your experience?

Does anyone have other shippers they recommend?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We estimate that we have approximately 1800 cubic feet worth of household stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usixly View Post

We're getting close to our big move here, from South FL to Maui. Based on someone's recommendation here in the forum, we got a quote from Hawaiian Moving to get our household stuff packed up and shipped over, but we just got a shocker from them today when we made the call to finalize things and they literally doubled our original quote (nearly $20,000 is the new quote, for a 40 foot container including packing/unpacking).

Does anyone here have recent experience moving from the mainland that could comment on a couple things:
1. Is it typical for shipping companies to quote by the cubic foot?
2. Does $20k seem reasonable given your experience?

Does anyone have other shippers they recommend?

P.S. We estimate that we have approximately 1800 cubic feet worth of household stuff.
I used Royal Hawaiian Movers, they charge by weight. Essentially, someone comes to your house locally, estimates the weight, they give you a price by the pound, and the final price is when it actually gets weighed at the port. I liked them - others don't.

Depending on how much stuff, I can easily see $20K in household moving costs from Florida to Maui. At least it is tax deductible, assuming you are working age and getting a job.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:03 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
sounds right to me for packing and unpacking all the way from FL.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:22 PM

483 posts, read 625,464 times
At that price I would seriously be thinking of selling 80 to 90% of my possessions and just box up essentials and sentimental items to ship. Buy new furniture etc on the island. But do get some more quotes, I think you might get it a little cheaper but Florida to Maui is quite a haul including all packing - unpacking.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
We moved from Colorado to the Big Island in 2010. We had a 20' container, and paid Matson $8,000 to drop the container at our house, then after we packed it they picked it up and delivered to our house on the Big Island. We paid a local mover (Mayflower) around $800 to do the packing in Colorado and hired some locals to help with the unpacking in Hawaii. I gave you these figures so that you could use as a comparison. A 40' container from Florida could easily be twice the cost.

I suggest that you do some looking around at Matson and Pasha to see what they would charge to move a 40' container from Florida to Maui, then contact a local mover for a packing quote. Your only unknown would be the cost to unload at your property in Maui.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:30 AM

42 posts, read 69,212 times
My UPack relocube is in transit to Maui as I type this. Second time we used them and they are the best company by far. I will elaborate on this later but first let me ask you this:

Do you have a place to live on Maui?

Do you have a lot of disposable income?

Do you have a job lined up?

If you answered "no" to those questions, I highly recommend you downsize DRASTICALLY. Bringing the contents of a normal single family home on the mainland to Maui will be a nightmare for you.

Why? Because a normal single family home on Maui is very expensive unless you have the disposable income. If you don't, you will be forced into a one bedroom or studio condo/apartment and will have to throw the contents of your 40 foot container into storage (two or three large units) at a cost of roughly $400 each.

If you answered yes to those questions, disregard what I just said

Now if you did answer no, then sell EVERYTHING but the clothes on your back, a few personal items and pack them into a Upack relocube and save yourself A LOT of money, money you'll need to get grounded on Maui. My relocube from Ft. Wayne IN to Kahului Maui cost $4069. I packed a lot of stuff into it.

This is the cold hard truth about moving to Maui.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM

53 posts, read 97,298 times
I just shipped all of my things that I didn't get rid of from Seattle to Maui. I got sold or gave away nearly everything, didn't bring any furniture, etc... I used a freight forwarder (Honolulu Freight Services - who, by the way, were fantastic) who loaded my boxes onto a pallet at their facility. They charged by volume, not weight. It came to about $19,600 less than your estimate and arrived in less than two weeks, no surprises.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:08 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Default Gosh...

When we moved from Seattle to Maui we shipped only our most personal belongings via USPS. Cost about $2,000. Took about 4-6 weeks for all to arrive. We had absolutely no damage to anything.
Koale

Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 PM

71 posts, read 163,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauilocalboy View Post
My UPack relocube is in transit to Maui as I type this. Second time we used them and they are the best company by far. I will elaborate on this later but first let me ask you this:

Do you have a place to live on Maui?

Do you have a lot of disposable income?

Do you have a job lined up?

If you answered "no" to those questions, I highly recommend you downsize DRASTICALLY. Bringing the contents of a normal single family home on the mainland to Maui will be a nightmare for you.

Why? Because a normal single family home on Maui is very expensive unless you have the disposable income. If you don't, you will be forced into a one bedroom or studio condo/apartment and will have to throw the contents of your 40 foot container into storage (two or three large units) at a cost of roughly $400 each.

If you answered yes to those questions, disregard what I just said

Now if you did answer no, then sell EVERYTHING but the clothes on your back, a few personal items and pack them into a Upack relocube and save yourself A LOT of money, money you'll need to get grounded on Maui. My relocube from Ft. Wayne IN to Kahului Maui cost $4069. I packed a lot of stuff into it.

This is the cold hard truth about moving to Maui.

Additional facts for better feedback (thanks to everyone who's chimed in!):
- We're negotiating on a house in S Kihei...not a done deal yet, but we've got options
- We have lots of disposable income
- I own successful companies and do 98% of any "work" I do online or by phone

We appreciate the heads' up on temp storage costs (hadn't looked into that yet). Making a couple more calls based on feedback in this thread. Thanks everyone!

Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Wink huh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by usixly View Post
Additional facts for better feedback (thanks to everyone who's chimed in!):
- We're negotiating on a house in S Kihei...not a done deal yet, but we've got options
- We have lots of disposable income
- I own successful companies and do 98% of any "work" I do online or by phone

We appreciate the heads' up on temp storage costs (hadn't looked into that yet). Making a couple more calls based on feedback in this thread. Thanks everyone!
With all this disposable income why are you worrying about cost? Pack it, ship it, move to Maui, then in 3 years wonder why you made the biggest mistake of your life...after realizing that you haven't had an educated or intelligent conversation with anyone on the island since you unpacked... wait and see if I'm not right.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui