Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAina3 View Post
You honestly believe the news stories? It's a smokescreen Mr Viper. Majority of Hawaii homeless have always been those who have lived on the islands but couldn't afford the higher cost of living or something bad happened. If some people can get you to believe that the homeless are mainlanders who just want to live in better climates, then the real issues can be ignored. Granted I don't doubt that some of the homeless are from the mainland who just flew here to be homeless.But I doubt it's even close to being the major reason why the rise in homelessnrss on Oahu has happened in the last year or two? Don't you agree? And if we sent every homeless person who flew to Hawaii to be homeless back to the mainland I doubt it would make a real dent in the issue and would just cost the taxpayers more money without dealing with the issues.
Many of those "homeless" folks in the recent news stories came from Micronesia, not the continental United States.
State officials: Majority of Kaka'ako homeless are COFA migrants - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 04:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaAina3 View Post
You honestly believe the news stories? It's a smokescreen Mr Viper. Majority of Hawaii homeless have always been those who have lived on the islands but couldn't afford the higher cost of living or something bad happened.
If you lived here - then you would know that on Oahu, in 2015 - practically none (or none) of the homeless are because they can't afford a place to live without some other mitigating factor. Nearly 100% (or 100%) fall into: Mentally Ill, Disabled, Drunks/Alcoholics, Drug addicts, and those who made the decision to be homeless. Those are the reasons they are homeless, it isn't as simplistic as it is expensive on Hawaii.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 PM

42 posts, read 53,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you lived here - then you would know that on Oahu, in 2015 - practically none (or none) of the homeless are because they can't afford a place to live without some other mitigating factor. Nearly 100% (or 100%) fall into: Mentally Ill, Disabled, Drunks/Alcoholics, Drug addicts, and those who made the decision to be homeless. Those are the reasons they are homeless, it isn't as simplistic as it is expensive on Hawaii.
Actually my good fellow I live in Aiea. Oh the old standby that poverty and homelessness is a moral issue only rather then a combination of an economic issue and other issues.Carry on my good friend because it's no use having a effective conversation with you. Oh and the attitude I'm giving you isn't because of what you said but by your attitude. I guess you missed the day they taught humility in local Hawaii 101 class? But then again your rich and from the mainland, maybe humility isn't for you? Hawaii history is your friend Mr Viper.. Leaning on political correctness too much? Forgive me I'm new here and don't want to rock the boat to much but I do give attitude when I get attitude. I read a recent article that said that majority of Hawaii's homeless are working poor, families and children under 18? Is that miss information? I ask because unlike some I don't know everything.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:27 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,817,842 times
Ahhhhhhhhh... Hawaiian By Heart and Whtviper1 arguing again.
Just like the good ole days!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 PM

569 posts, read 780,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh... Hawaiian By Heart and Whtviper1 arguing again.
Just like the good ole days!
Yeah, not knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" made it pretty obvious.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:08 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
At least a transplant, with the proper care, will attempt to take root, grow, blossom, and fit in with the surroundings, while not hogging the landscape. Much better than those who try to 'implant' themselves here. New comers who want to immediately become part of the established culture without going through any sort of a learning process. ( I read about how you do things in Hawaii. I already know!!)
And, sometimes, unfortunately, implants have a tendency to stick out like a sore thumb...

10 absurdly big breast implants

Well, maybe a sore pu'uwaiu

Hope this,,,, uuuurrrrrppppp, scuze me, helps

Old 10-29-2015, 04:54 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
No one wants to say "da haole" I guess. Trust me, no one is going to refer to you (assuming you are white) by any other name if you move there. I hate to point this out, but Hawaii is a state in America, no mater what it's previous history was. Just like New Mexico, Texas, etc that were independent countries w/ specific racial cultures, they're a state now. Get used to it. New people who move to a state are called residents, which is what they are. This transplant business is just another silly attempt to paint things as US against Them. Guess who is Us.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:25 AM

42 posts, read 53,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
No one wants to say "da haole" I guess. Trust me, no one is going to refer to you (assuming you are white) by any other name if you move there. I hate to point this out, but Hawaii is a state in America, no mater what it's previous history was. Just like New Mexico, Texas, etc that were independent countries w/ specific racial cultures, they're a state now. Get used to it. New people who move to a state are called residents, which is what they are. This transplant business is just another silly attempt to paint things as US against Them. Guess who is Us.
Here is a prime example of the attitudes that will get you in trouble. All one needs to do is read between the lines. The truth no matter how ugly, is that the transplant issue and haole issue is just backlash from a racial group of people who don't know how to live life not being privileged or looked upon favorably. The amount of energy that is spent covering these issues on this forum is equal to a child who is having a temper tantrum over and over again saying "no, no it isn't, I want it my way" and it's indication of the true makeup of city data forum Hawaii. I get it. It sucks and it's unfair to be treated unfavorably. No one is saying otherwise but what is sad about this issue is this same groups elite refuses to change behaviors as a group the effects the rest of the world unfavorably. Remember Hawaii history is our friend. And when you dismiss culture, traditions and a way of life for "Hawaii is just another state you need to conform" Your just repeating history in Hawaii. "Hawaii is just another state" is in the same spirit as "we need to give the native hawaiian christ" or "the world and Hawaii democracy and capitalism" or "We need to stamp out pidgin in schools" all had adverse actions towards others and sent clear messages" Even today as our home is being changed so this groups elite are more comfortable living here is just continuing the cycle. This isn't hate but the truth. Nothing in our homes past history was just random happenings. Every event in Hawaii's history was planned. Planned by a group of people who at the time felt it was their God given right to impose their will on others. If you have ears to hear? It is what it is. PS: Sorry smarino not picking on you personally but you words.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 AM

569 posts, read 780,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I've read several of your posts and they certainly have a negative tone and speak in absolutes. We all get that your expereince wasn't good, but man oh man, if your come off in real life like you do in your writing, I'd be surprised if you'd be a welcome addition to any community.

Just being in Maui part-time for the last five years, we've had no bad expereinces with locals or long-time residents and are friendly with a number of folks. I'll make no claims about being accepted into anyone's ohana, but being having a mellow attitude and naturally friendly and quick to smile or laugh seems to go a long way.

Our observation has been that tourists are the ones less likely to return a smile or "hello".

Old 10-30-2015, 02:11 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
I suspect that Smarino must spend a lot of time in Aiea. And we ALL know how that can be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui