Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 3,972 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've read this forum with great interest and have been blown away at the incredibly kind and thoughtful replies to so many questions from Maui hopefuls. My wife and I are considering a move to Maui from the northeast US. We have two children, both early elementary school age. We aren't whimsical people and are trying to think this opportunity through in great detail. Any and all feedback that people can provide would be incredibly appreciated.

Both of us have worked hard for a long time and saved money. I am lucky to have a fantastic and secure job offer on Maui (my wife will stay home with the children for at least several years), and we feel incredibly fortunate to be on solid financial footing. It is awkward for me to discuss money here, and I know that others have not been as fortunate as us, but I bring it up because "cost of living" permeates so much of these threads. Basically, we are prepared for the financial side of things on Maui and have no concerns on that front.

Our concerns are about raising children, enjoying some basic conveniences, and being part of a community with which we feel comfortable. I will be working in Wailuku and haven't decided yet on best place to live.

(1) The biggest issue for us - and the one that's a true dealbreaker for a move - is finding a high quality school for our children (elementary school). We assume that we'll go the private school route, but are still concerned that the best private schools in Maui won't be similar to the public schools that we are used to in good suburbs of NYC/Boston/DC. I'd welcome any information anyone has on private school quality. We're also expecting to supplement to some degree with after school programs like Kumon and would be interested to hear feedback on that. Feedback on safety in the private schools and treatment of Caucasians would also be much appreciated (we are Caucasian).

(2) We're lucky to all be generally healthy but still have some concerns about getting adequate medical care. I imagine that we'll be able to find a reasonable PCP, pediatrician, dentist without huge wait times or anything weird. Does this seem accurate?

(3) We're trying to get a handle on how many basic conveniences we'll have to give up. We are used to standard northeast suburban life with access to a city, and driving short distances for most things. We generally live for our children so tend not to access the city so much anymore, but we're used to having a good number of amenities even in the suburbs (workout gyms, parks, restaurants, mall, etc). Will there still be access to reasonable take-out food options a night or two per week? Are there reasonable options for family dinners out that are kid-friendly? Are there certain foods, or other things that are challenging to get? It's hard to formulate this question better because sometimes you don't know what you might miss until it's not there.

(4) Any advice on location to live would be much appreciated. We are tentatively thinking about Wailuku, and Kihei, though truthfully don't have a good handle on this yet. Main interests are (a) sense of community with people similar to us where we'll feel at home; (b) proximity to some basic conveniences like restaurants and schools, (c) proximity to work (30 min commute would be great if possible), (d) walking distance to the beach would be a bonus but last on this list.

(5) If there's anything else we're missing, and something we should be thinking about, please let me know. This is a big decision for us, and would love to have the input of others who have been through similar experiences.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. Feel free to PM me if that's easier for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:37 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,375 times
Hi there. Sounds like you've been doing some research, and yes, this forum has loads of information, tidbits, and opinions.
Just wondering, have you both spent much time on Maui? and if so, did have you had a vehicle and spend time around Kihei? Did you drive around Wailuku and look at housing, schools there?
You didn't really mention your prior exposure to Maui, or what areas you both were drawn to, Kihei is a beach community and is very different then Wailuku in many ways including climate, culture and recreation. In contrast to a beach community, Wailuku is close to all major shopping including the big box stores and the 2 malls with movie theaters., if shopping and entertainment are your thing.
I highly suggest looking into when/if Kihei High School is targeted to be built by. That would be a huge consideration if you live in Kihei. The private schools (High Schools)are not in Kihei and if you go the public school route there's a commute to Wailuku at this time for the High School students.
It sounds like your children are young, but I'm sure they are going to want to go to the Middle School or High School that their friends from Elementary School go to.
If you do go the private school route, especially from Kihei, you'll be doing a lot of driving, at prime traffic time. There's is some level of traffic on Maui at prime time commute hours.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:44 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,353 times
I read your post a number of times and I get the feeling you haven't been to Maui. Short stays of a week or ten days don't count. If possible, find a vacation rental for a month or so right there in Wailuku and take it from there.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,972 times
Thanks for the quick feedback. We have been to Maui for short stays previously - never for anything longer than 10 days. We didn't get a chance to explore Maui with the mindset of making it a permanent home, and are just now doing the internet research.

Next step, before taking the plunge, is to come out there for as long as possible to tour communities, schools, etc. Don't think it would be feasible to spend a month out there before making the decision, but we're going to spend as long as we can. The purpose of my post was just to get some early feedback on these things since direct replies can often be more helpful than general internet searches (and even reviews of similar questions on old threads). Thanks so much!!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:07 AM

96 posts, read 145,107 times
You seem to pinpoint all the issues that potentially might make you want to run from Maui within a short time... That does not mean that you won't enjoy a brief period there, but trough the kind of questions you ask, I have an inkling, that you and your family might be the kind of people who in the long run will be better off on the mainland. The most important sentence when coming to Maui is "this ain't the mainland". We have looked at a move ourselves for years (actually more than a decade now) and have considered all the pros and cons. We did stay on Maui for months at a time and have gotten closer to experiencing what life is about (even if we probably still are clueless). Schools are a concern, but not so much, because even most US-mainland schools to us are sub-par and we know that will be a big adjustment. However, we truly believe if the parents participate they can make a big difference and that is what we plan to do. When it comes to doctors there are some good ones there, but all in all it's like living in a rural area on the mainland (with the difference that you'll have to get on a plane to have access to different care). But again, coming from a place where things are completely different to begin with we know we'll have to (and are more than willing to) adapt. Conveniences in short distance? Well, you won't be able to drive long distances, however, some of the short distances might take you a very long time. And conveiniences? Depends on what you consider convenient. I for my part consider it extremely convenient that I have fabulous beaches a short drive away. That I get lots of sunshine and can have my house powered by solar. That I can grow my own food. That everything I could need is available in abundance. There is plenty of everything on Maui. It's all in your mind. Again, Maui an't the mainland. Other than politically still being in the US, consider yourself moving abroad to a place where people speak differently have a (different) culture, act and react differently. If you can say yes to a move abroad without having to apply for visas etc, than give it a try. Or see it as a limited-time "adventure". Otherwise you are probably better of not attempting the move. Even if you have a good financial situation.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:06 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Community? Yet want private school? Community? Yet seem like you are afraid to mingle with the locals?

Are you willing to be a minority? If not, then stay on the mainland.

Maui is magical. I'd move back in a heart beat, but I know what it will cost to move and I know what my profession pays. For now I can only dream of Maui again.

You are doing your research which is good. If you answer my questions truthfully that will tell you whether you should move or not.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Schools and adequate medical facilities are the only 2 reasons we don't live in in Maui (or Hawaii in general).

The only 2 reasons but huge reasons.

We are there often. Seems to be getting worse, not better.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:53 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Community? Yet want private school? Community? Yet seem like you are afraid to mingle with the locals?

I can't count how many threads I've seen, in pretty much every state other than Hawaii, where the poster will say "I'm black/Hispanic/Asian; where can I live among people like myself?" What I don't see is responses along the lines of "You seem like you are afraid to mingle with white people."

Yes, white people are a minority in Hawaii -- just like black people, Hispanic people, and Asian people are a minority in most other states. Why then is it OK for blacks/Hispanics/Asians to want to live among people like themselves when they are in the minority, but apparently not OK for white people to want to do the same when they are in the minority?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:20 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I can't count how many threads I've seen, in pretty much every state other than Hawaii, where the poster will say "I'm black/Hispanic/Asian; where can I live among people like myself?" What I don't see is responses along the lines of "You seem like you are afraid to mingle with white people."

Yes, white people are a minority in Hawaii -- just like black people, Hispanic people, and Asian people are a minority in most other states. Why then is it OK for blacks/Hispanics/Asians to want to live among people like themselves when they are in the minority, but apparently not OK for white people to want to do the same when they are in the minority?
I generally only comment on stars where I've lived or currently live.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm simply saying that if you want a sense of community you have to be part of the community.

Bus man have you ever lived in Hawaii?
I was raised in the south and though I grew up in a black church I was never a minority. Once o moved to Hawaii I became a minority. While on Oahu I was around other haoles mostly (Marine) and it wasn't until I started dating a Hawaiian girl from Maui that I truly enjoyed Hawaii.

Many people can't handle being a minority. It's uncomfortable.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:13 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
I generally only comment on stars where I've lived or currently live.

I'm not saying it's wrong. I'm simply saying that if you want a sense of community you have to be part of the community.

Bus man have you ever lived in Hawaii?
No, I have never lived in Hawaii. I've visited it on five separate occasions, but obviously that's not the same as living there.

Quote:
Many people can't handle being a minority. It's uncomfortable.
Which is probably why the OP is asking about areas in which he would not be a minority. Personally, I find it to be a perfectly reasonable question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui