Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM

45 posts, read 68,005 times

Advertisements

Aloha,

My husband, daughter and I will be moving back to beautiful Hawaii this late May, on the island of Maui and I would greatly appreciate any assistance with finding a long term place to lease. We use to live on the north shore of kauai in the late 90s where our daughter was born. We are looking at realtor. com, zillow, and craigs list and will be visiting in late March or early April to see any of interest in person and to meet with the Leasing agent before signing a lease and putting down a deposit. Are there any other resources of listings besides those to know follow?

We will eventually buy when we find the area that is the best fit after spending some time in a lifestyle there. We are pretty sure already from visiting that the best fit for us is up country, Pukalani, Makawao or Haiku, or even a quiet spot in Paia. We are looking for an unfurnished 3/2 with a garage. A sunny place in the yard for growing some potted fruits and veggies is ideal. We do have a sweet indoor cat. We have great credit, solid and stable off island income, are quiet and low key and leave places better then we recieved them. Also please feel free to message me if anyone knows of something that would be a good fit.

Many Mahalos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:49 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,304,030 times
Renting site unseen is not a good idea and I understand it's not easy because the landlords have enough tenants to choose from on island. Here are some online sources I found. Good luck .....

Hot-Ads Maui, HI

Maui Newspapers

Maui Hawaii News and Newspapers

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...d_loc=Maui,+HI

Old 02-15-2017, 11:34 AM

Mahalo Sherwoody!!

Indeed, I did say that we will be going in person in March or April to see places in person and deal with the leasing agent in person and it would all be done in person We know better! It is a good reminder for anyone reading here, planning a vaca or move to anywhere. A realtor friend in Kauai when booking our last vaca rental with her there, was telling me about how many people are knocking down her door during high tourist travel weeks who have no where to stay because they sent deposit money to a scam artist. I am aware that most get leased by people already on island, and that I am in a more challenging position, which is why I was seeking the help of the beautiful souls and hearts here. Those look like most helpful leads to also follow. I can't thank you enough!!!

Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM

52 posts, read 59,598 times
We found ours on Craigslist.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Mahalo Mamashouse! The selection does seem to be the widest, however it is the riskiest resource as well so it means a lot to hear you are having a good experience!!!

Old 02-17-2017, 04:36 PM

Aloha whalesongs!
We settled on Pukalani, as it seemed to be everything we are looking for. We are able to arrange with our employer to check it out, and we were incredibly luck as well, thank you God! I think what really helps is that we are renting at the very top of our budget but getting rid of things and unnecessary bills. We are adjusting our budgets and lifestyle inorder to afford more rent. Husband says we are going to live poor in order to afford something a little nicer. I guess it's all about perspective and what things you place importance on. He has a good paying job and even so we have to rent something modest. The rent prices are astounding and I can see why so many people are upset about it.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,690,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamasHouse View Post
Aloha whalesongs!
We settled on Pukalani, as it seemed to be everything we are looking for. We are able to arrange with our employer to check it out, and we were incredibly luck as well, thank you God! I think what really helps is that we are renting at the very top of our budget but getting rid of things and unnecessary bills. We are adjusting our budgets and lifestyle inorder to afford more rent. Husband says we are going to live poor in order to afford something a little nicer. I guess it's all about perspective and what things you place importance on. He has a good paying job and even so we have to rent something modest. The rent prices are astounding and I can see why so many people are upset about it.
Would you mind sharing size of dwelling and how much rent you will be paying? Does this include any utilities?

Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM

Aloha Mamashouse,

I really like the Pukalani/ lower Kula area as well and hope we get as lucky as you finding a place we really like there. Wish you all the best and hope you get to live the dream! <3

I did find another resource called homes. com that has rentals listed. We are finding places that could work within our budget. They are all looking to get someone into them now though. I may be a bit early out yet. We are willing to sign for a May 1st start date if need be to secure a great place but would prefer to sign for June 1st. I am on it and will be ready when the right one presents itself or when one of the ones we like might still be available.

Who are you using to ship cars and things ?

Old 02-17-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalesongs View Post
Aloha Mamashouse,

I really like the Pukalani/ lower Kula area as well and hope we get as lucky as you finding a place we really like there. Wish you all the best and hope you get to live the dream! <3

I did find another resource called homes. com that has rentals listed. We are finding places that could work within our budget. They are all looking to get someone into them now though. I may be a bit early out yet. We are willing to sign for a May 1st start date if need be to secure a great place but would prefer to sign for June 1st. I am on it and will be ready when the right one presents itself or when one of the ones we like might still be available.

Who are you using to ship cars and things ?
We are using city moving to ship our stuff from Texas and still not sure about shipping my SUV yet. I'd love to have a smaller car, but I have four kids which makes my options very small.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Would you mind sharing size of dwelling and how much rent you will be paying? Does this include any utilities?

I will pm you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: