Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 04:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,276 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which is the better banking service? Bank of Hawaii or First Bank of Hawaii? I am looking for something that has locations all over the island and has an excellent online and app service as well.

I did try looking on here about banking, but the thread I found is about 5 or 6 years old, and I would appreciate any updated info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 12:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,168,736 times
I think the other one is actually 'First Hawaiian Bank'? I don't recall a First Bank of Hawaii, although without the capitols, i.e. 'first bank of (in) Hawaii' that may be First Hawaiian.

Bank of Hawaii seems to have a lot of fees for everything, other than that they are one of the more popular banks around. One of them has commercials about their apps, but I forget which one, might be First Hawaiian.

I dunno about the apps, but I've found my credit union to be much easier to deal with than the bank. I guess checks are kinda old school anymore, but they have free checking with free checks, too. Their online access is better than the bank but I haven't a clue if they have apps.

Usually credit cards fill in for the digital banking that we do, but everyone accesses money differently these days.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
Opps, my mistake, I meant First Hawaiian Bank! Thank you for knowing what I was talking about anyways and for your thoughts!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 AM

337 posts, read 616,601 times
I like American Savings Bank personally. The mobile app check deposit is a lifesaver. Don't even have to leave home to deposit a check now.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:22 PM

96 posts, read 145,784 times
I agree with Mitch. We have all. BOH, First Hawaiian and American Savings. And while I like the people at our branch of First Hawaiian a lot and BOH isn't bad either, both of their mobile applications are what we call Jurassic Banking (i.e. a joke). The ASB is a tad bit better (not jurassic but maybe dark middle age banking ;-) ). It all depends on what you want to use your account for...

Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 PM

23 posts, read 43,875 times
I use Valley Isle Federal Credit Union, as my primary. They have better deals on their interest for loans. I moved to Oahu and I'm still able to use "sister banking" with other credit unions on their network (cashing, cash or check deposit). No fancy app.

I also have American Savings Bank which I'm a joint user with my mom (lol don't judge me). It's easier for me to send her money or vice versa. It has an app but if you type your password in wrong once your account gets locked. -_-. Then you have to call in to unlock it but service there is nice. And they have many locations and I believe some open on Saturdays too.

I also have Bank of Hawaii. Their app and ATMS have really advanced in the last decade or so. You can do mobile banking such as taking pics of your checks to deposit, and even pay your loan. The only annoying thing is to set up a relationship to link your account together. Some tellers at the bank act like it's super difficult and some can do it in 2 minutes. I like the convenience of BOH. They have many locations and on Oahu some branches open 7 days a week.

Lastly, I had a First Hawaiian Bank. I closed the account because I opened my credit union one. I don't know if they have a fancy app now but I'm sure they do now. They also have many locations as well.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui