Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Chances are, the 4 year old won't be swimming out in those channels. I was referring to the water along the beaches (but you knew that). I have experienced much rougher waves and stronger currents along the Kam beaches and at Big Beach than at Kaanapali, Honokowai, Kahana, Napili, or Kapalua Bay. West Maui beaches seem more kid-friendly to me until you reach D.T Fleming Beach in Kapalua and north of there.
After many trips to South and West Maui, I chose to live on the west side because of the beaches and the more tropical climate. Again, my opinion.
Look at a Maui map, and the topography of the Island. Drop off on the West Side is far more acute than on the Kihei side, water gets deeper faster, rougher currents, less safe beaches. Ask any of the Life Guards, they'll tell you that the SW side of the Island is far more protected from the wind, and the swell, hence safer. Except for the occasional cardiac arrest, and the.....Maybe you should try snorkeling at Black Rock?

But you already knew that..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM

919 posts, read 791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
SW side of the Island is far more protected from the wind, and the swell, hence safer. Except for the occasional cardiac arrest, and the....
except for the tiger sharks

Old 04-19-2018, 09:05 PM

142 posts, read 125,917 times
Anyone else?

I did look at the accommodation in Kanaapali and the beaches do seem to be on the small side and while i am no expert they do seem to slope down quite quickly. I really just want somewhere (weather permitting where our son will be reasonably safe and he practice with a set of goggles on which is why the baby beach would be perfect. I know that this all depends on certain circumstances. at no time will he be in the water on his own, that's a given!!

One of the hotels that I really like is in Kihei

https://www.destinationhotels.com/de...a-elua-village

Last edited by Tipmart87; 04-19-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,032,967 times
For a 4-year old, I'd go with Lahaina and Baby Beach. I used to live just across from it some years ago. It's about as safe a beach as you're going to get on Maui.
I also used to live in Kihei and it's very spread out. The beaches are all open to the ocean there.
Lahaina actually feels like a town and Kaanapali is just up the road and has better snorkeling for adults. There's coral and lots of things to see. Not recommended for the youngster though unless it's a perfectly flat day.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,468 times
You know what a four year old would probably love, watching the boats take off from the boat ramp in Kihei, early, or not so early, in the morning. I paddle past there quite often, sometimes I'll even stop in for a break, and there's a tiny beach on the north side of the piers, all protected by the breakwater. Boats don't come close to the beach, they'd ground. Worth a look, and you couldn't be much safer for a four year old unless you were in a pool. I've seen families there before.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:18 AM

23 posts, read 43,600 times
Not sure what time of year you're planning. But apparently in the summer time the southern swells come in so whether you're in South Maui or West Maui it could get rough anywhere.

I was born and raised on Maui and I'm sure any beach is safe as long as you keep an eye on your child. Little kids mostly like to dig holes in the sand and let the water fill in. Areas that are really mild (from my experience) are baby beach and honokowai beach. Baby beach is mellow and shallow, no reef. Honokowai beach is cool because there is a reef and the water fills up on the beach and creates a little pocket for kids to swim. I'm sure any beach can get rough depending on the time of day (tides) or storms/swells.

P.s. I like the sand in Kaanapali/Old Airport beach. It's not super fine and gets stuck to your skin and all your belongings. But it's not too rocky. There are some beaches that have tons of rocks and reef and it scrapes you up. I hate those beaches. Not good for playing in the sand.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:29 PM

294 posts, read 220,303 times
One other thing that I have not seen mentioned before is timing your trip so you are there during low tide in the morning. I always go for a walk on the beach early in the morning and if tides are high it is not very enjoyable and with rising oceans there are no dry areas at high tide on some beaches. I am usually staying near Waipuilani in Kihei. The other nice thing about low tide is being able to explore tide pools. Would like to hear what locals can add to this. Would also like to know what locals can say about Box Jellyfish after full moons.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipmart87 View Post
Anyone else?

I did look at the accommodation in Kanaapali and the beaches do seem to be on the small side and while i am no expert they do seem to slope down quite quickly. I really just want somewhere (weather permitting where our son will be reasonably safe and he practice with a set of goggles on which is why the baby beach would be perfect. I know that this all depends on certain circumstances. at no time will he be in the water on his own, that's a given!!

One of the hotels that I really like is in Kihei

https://www.destinationhotels.com/de...a-elua-village
This is nice, but I don’t think it’s a hotel. We stayed near there, pretty convenient location.

How about Honua Kai resort, they have 2 bedrooms and kitchen facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui