Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 10:19 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliver13 View Post
Thanks for your responses everyone.

Mounty, I appreciate your honest personal opinion. Everyone has their own preferences! I like overgrown vegetation and find areas that one person might describe as run down to be part of an area's charm; I find the manicured suburban area in which I live to be a little too sterile for my personal preference.

Tarzanman, thank you for your recommendations. We are researching a lot right now - we are looking at Florida and the Caribbean locations you mentioned, some of which were already on our list. I do agree Florida is a more reasonable choice, though we dislike the fact that all property close to the ocean seems to be at sea level - we want to be up a bit higher. We have been to Florida to scope out a few areas and didn't find anything extremely appealing but then again Florida is huge and we weren't able to see much. I'll look into the towns you mentioned, thank you!
Caliver, check out Jupiter and Stuart in Florida. Jupiter, in particular, has A rated schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 10:22 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I tend to agree. I follow a videographer out of Kula and everything looks run down and smack of "give a damn" syndrome. No pride, no tidiness, just erosion and complacency. Depressing.
That's what I noticed on my brief visit to Maui as well. It doesn't seem like people take care of their yards or houses (dead grass or dirt in the front yard, cars parked in the front yard instead of on the street or in the driveway, etc). It looks poor. Kinda reminds me of Tucson, AZ in some ways.

See this pic from google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.8835...7i13312!8i6656

Old 02-29-2020, 11:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
I tend to agree. I follow a videographer out of Kula and everything looks run down and smack of "give a damn" syndrome. No pride, no tidiness, just erosion and complacency. Depressing.
My sister has lived in Kula for 30 years. I don't know what you have seen in your vids but Kula is pretty much classic rural Hawaii - a mix of wealth and agriculture and plain folks all living in the same community. Views are gorgeous. Very clean, well kept. Tight community. Families who want better schools for their kids go to Kula, if they can afford it. Too cold for me though.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
My sister has lived in Kula for 30 years. I don't know what you have seen in your vids but Kula is pretty much classic rural Hawaii - a mix of wealth and agriculture and plain folks all living in the same community. Views are gorgeous. Very clean, well kept. Tight community. Families who want better schools for their kids go to Kula, if they can afford it. Too cold for me though.
Well stated. I completely agree.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:52 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Thank you 2x4. Like every where there are people who have yard cars or don’t keep up their property.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:48 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Unkempt sums it up nicely. Sad, though.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Thank you 2x4. Like every where there are people who have yard cars or don’t keep up their property.
Hmm, NO, not like everywhere.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
The worst thing about all the overgrown vegetation is that people are living in them. Every clump of cane grass is potential camp spot, its common to see grown men walking out of the bushes in many areas of the island.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Hmm, NO, not like everywhere.
You have no yard cars or sloppy areas on Oahu?

Old 03-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You have no yard cars or sloppy areas on Oahu?
I am not on Oahu, and no, we don't have any such things here. Neat and tidy, all the way. Different grade of people, no doubt, giving a different set of results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui